Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Germany, Austria and Slovenia tour report

Swissian

Swissian

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Finally I get chance to share some of our experiences from our trip last month.

We went without a fixed plan, hoping to follow where the weather was best because the forecast was not great. It didn't always work out that way, and was a bit wet at times but the Cali was warm and dry! :)

Most of the camp sites we used were ACSI members and being a member meant we had reduced rates. In some places they tag on extra taxes and things though, so you do need to be careful and check.

We started with a little culture by going to the Herreninsel on the Chiemsee. This is one of the palaces that Ludwig II of Bavaria started to build (before bankrupting the state and being declared insane) and was modelled on Versailles.

oO1_cPOR3NxvdtslSgeHj6Ifi3vODnx9bpv5LvewgTzfprqlq2yv-06J63UbgwTcD_eZ5Nx_LlbyiVdU-USCaIjdBT48cNwriHHPlkO9d9g2EsKOJyfLgeRFMYUCZhQz1rWAkMY

That night we camped at lovely little camp site on the north east shore of the lake: camping-seehaeusl.de

The owner was really nice and friendly, gave us a place next to lake even though we were only staying one night. The amenities were simple but great, and with ACSI card, it was only €17.

We then moved on, visiting a few random things in the area and Konigssee
Xjoubd_kvV7KrovdZeTxQ87k9sLz0IJb5T84qc0X5OhzlX4JlLbHiehjtZr_Ew5cU0z7QfD2BRDeAnD7FL_PBLRbMmSyJg2U1vNLMab30FA-Gnd21XxCitw5zyFtyTG_cIVSPwA

before deciding to stay here: camping-winkl.de

The owner was much less friendly, but it was clean, and again, the amenities were good. Woke to this view
gtZDLCR2xFW31BcD1ru83_j0FfhfPEJntoQ7IqrgVUqzRsxF76NsEZlBp3ySyA7xxIXQGqDFwqkbIyADesnvspoxfYfrzsO4GH3eK_ywTMjp-SJgiBud75PKUK_puHxEQ4O1Wl8

We then had the amazing drive down through Austria (sometimes with rain) as we wanted to get to Ljubljana on Friday to meet friends. On the way we visited the small but interesting Porsche museum in Gmünd.
-_gp5ofmOIcq5WW6V75AlQyibLk3tmEaw6eqTqljI8JFpMtciyKI_V2vuFGcB4RljgWrhTRmb7-2VJ7Dy284Cvq1tybdf8ffx-5rCekfGCgBEXmip8v6u0rbfzeoz2Wyo7kTyLA

Stayed at another great lakeside camp site happycamping.at were the owner was very happy indeed, until that is we asked for a space near the lake in his almost empty camp site. Begrudgingly he allowed us to move, but was not happy about it! Facilities were first class though. In the picture below, the lake is to my left.

BKillGWlmMBGre7Jge1GR8xcifxr4sSYAY6e77TKrpn2MqoY7S1Nja1iesu_8ot63GoAkGSdN2CrKyapjnrnLTZbAYHJGMKs4m3xaeBz_nEzk0IU0dsCShpqPhv8Gmk5NflNVto

-9jlhmiTwSaWOB2kum1qdW0J40MKt9RIm2OMze9HKqCUz1s-X7-OXxyMOwqHFMfOaAK3vyYcVqkChTuGKcmqncRUexOt2yjYK4DHWUPCwYmhkNbcSxbhPMz_RBQEHK6gAG0nzSU

6GI5Dr1dh5-X-r1Uhz-OIryNNd_TNktlAuE3wk7P4nFU23uybVFWXl-2ZOqpCe5TCSzPgC3tyPTulzoEIrYG8sYUjKmcWebATQ-oOrp2jsuyAJosaHxGIGHK565yXwpoCqRhW6U

Next stop Ljubljana, were we stayed in the ljubljanaresort.si Great camp site, very convenient for visiting the city. Buy the Ljubljana card and you can use all the public transport for free, as well as free entrance to many attractions. The bus stop is right outside the entrance to the camp site and the buses are every 5-10 minutes. In around 15mins, it delivers you right in the middle of the city centre.

We then went a bit further south to visit the Škocjan and the Postojna Caves, and Predjamski Castle staying at a rather strange but interesting place camping-postojna.com A huge but deserted camp site in the forest, with it's own cave (that was unfortunately closed).

lcagk9nOQ6LtlY8-zEr3XbMzwX-wTVnIbzHLKa4ofhD6VlJOG8lOvki_6CghjUKImAUpeAU9rlJ2n9yujWFxbW_CFSOXbUKXJDhw3uYWN6KCEadnw2LBol_kPwOeM3cxA4M9xJo

Not knowing which direction was best weather wise, we went back to the north of Slovenia, and visited the lakes of Bled and Bohinj. Staying at sobec.si on Sapto’s recommendation, another huge camp site, with really great facilities, and again, almost deserted.
eroS0nl03BX_nc8LqlR2L5e4do8_yDw3DNYpbg--LiWklXEaKoSeeFu4-YjvCQSYtm5u03vTTT6IxhLUWVuN7yR9-IFzuidnJPuRtH3F-Aip0yctivxwNDGCvsHSFBWZK7HLLko

_DANNe__0BTDuNk5Y0fHIXZxGNJoTsKo1D8tRRaZ-M94WggX_kVQv6_hdUpHulA-MFk4CA_8fvJPo5h5akA2Bx6LCWXj1sgQCLm9wuPYFCLftLhDLXceytLznrwTCAoEX76sTPM

A slow and very wet drive took us into Italy to a place near Tolmezzo, and another lake side camping www.lago3comuni.com

Nice friendly owner, very clean and organized. Great beers in the cafe from various small breweries and a pinball machine, so I didn't care that it was raining.

Another slow and wet drive to Westerdorf in Austria http://www.panoramacamping.at/
Great location for mountain sports, summer and winter. Indoor heated facilities.
Even though it is big, and looked full, I think there were only 3 couples staying that night.

Innsbruck and really small but cool camp site just outside the city http://www.camping-stigger.at/de Great pizza and free Wifi. The other camp site near the city, Camping Innsbruck - Kranebitten, looked OK but was more than double the price!
j2D5fZPYdjyWhx7ZFNZko8TVD_3V0_giXCbRkn2gHs4wcHvsF0yTsoc_LVBBI_TErsoEDcetUSWGiwbHVxIAQ8TbVdVXaVLIyy6Jh8iEgSbn_gzRhOk_yBz4zKtdzWye5VzMt8c

Germany again and stayed at http://camping-tennsee.de Don't think I've even seen such luxurious bathrooms on a campsite, they even had a cubicles with baths! Great place for walking of all levels.
W-qugUzCVgGIXZ7_VobiZ1UAjIhSKoPvNnd5uoJM33yNwK-_0rc2_Qx4-xF2BMdZGB8lc3K6gMoOmuiiD8X56hc7mRT24xkfFQcvmfgep1iPGFVYV5rrxZyibre8MpAUnKxmnUY

Visited the nearby Linderhof, the only Palace/Castle that Ludwig II actually finished
MYa8qLtWTZpwK58HUGfsiXonDWfLVGMX8eIFWw81O1SfQSEpxsLURuG4v1OWA0KNICDbZy-UR031gkhS_o04pYKZVqdumoNOmterZ8Ztzs6mholQ4mLZ3q0EDQz1e9rRJo9rvqY

Then onto http://www.camping-bannwaldsee.de/de/ the most expensive site we stayed at, but it was our last night, and still OK at €28

This is very close to the famous fairy tale castle (but utterly bonkers building project) that Ludwig II also started, Neuschwanstein (below). If you want to visit it, I strongly recommend booking the tickets on the Internet in advance, because the ticket office queues are nuts! I went a few years and this time I visited only the neighbouring Hohenschwangau, the palace where Ludwig II grew up.
Zr4lWgu3Cl5m05pEsnfl1Lsw6YHOnOTcKTGna3mEg9_m3sO0w5XEyRU6FDku2uDkiejrqEgvEf9QzZfjkH5uUZjfS9VMQnPiaMCytviVYrmNdDtvPw8JmEa2FsuUpsEYOhl9spA

That was the end of our culture tour!

I did about 1500 miles and averaged 40 mpg. Cali performed perfectly, exceeding all expectations.

We were surprising organised, seeing as though this was our first long trip in a van this size. Used the heater quite often, especially on the mornings and sometimes on an evening to dry shoes, etc. Slept mainly “downstairs” as my partner said the bed “upstairs” was not soft enough for her, and on the colder nights, we lowered the bed but kept the roof up. This provided enough air circulation. Once in really heavy rain, we didn’t even put the roof up, but then I put the window vents in the front windows. They are a bit fiddly to put in because of the electric windows and the crush sensor, but it worked on the 2nd or 3rd attempt, and gave plenty of ventilation while stopping the rain from coming in.

END!

Thank you for doing the review. I hope to make use of it in the future and when I do I shall add to it. Will make the planning such as it is far easier.

Mike

Great pics and review, looks like you had most places to yourself. :thumb

Great to read your superb review! Thank you for sharing! you got me some new cp for upcoming trips to Innsbruck/Germany.

Great report!
We stayed at & visited some of the same places, on our way to Croatia in 2014.

I'm heading that way at beginning of July, just looking to put together a rough itinerary so your post helps. Thanks

Just returned from Austria, Croatia and Slovenia, and as we were so inspired by the reports on the forum, I thought I would share some of our experiences.

We had a rough plan - sixteen days - and a three month old van which we have used in Scotland and Wales before heading into Europe. Quick thrash down the Autobahn from Rotterdam to Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber for a first night on a small site just outside this picturesque medieval town.
Rothenburg.jpg Interesting discussion with a German T5 Cali owner on the next pitch - comparing vans. Neither of us spoke each other's language...

Next down to Innsbruck and amazed by the number of German Calis heading north at the end of the weekend. As it happens, we stayed on the same site as Swissian in Vols as I had used this site with a tent many years ago. I can also commend the pizzas.Vols2.jpg

Thence, over a couple of days, via the Gerlospass and GrossGlochner, just cutting across the Northeast tip of Italy at Tarvisio so that we entered Slovenia via the Passo del Prido.

Passo del Prido.jpg We were really impressed by the turquoise Soca river in Triglav National Park,

Soca Valley.jpg

leaving via the Vrsic pass and staying at Bohinj, at Camping Danica Bohinj

Bohinj2.jpg
just up the valley from Bled so that we could arrive at Bled early the next morning, as we had heard that parking can be difficult.

bled.jpg

Bled is really pretty, but busy, and after a walk around the lake we moved on to renew our acquaintance with Ljubljana - a really compact and attractive city.

Next, Skocjan Caves rather than Postinja - a really worthwhile visit. We have visited many caves before but nothing on this scale. Crossing into Croatia, we headed for Rovinj, specifically Campsite Ulika Rovinj on Big Bloke's recommendation.

Suffice to say that this is the only place that we can remember on any holiday where we have stayed longer than we had intended. Excellent on-site restaurant, pitches partitioned by hedges and really good facilities with plenty to do in the surrounding area - helped by cheap bike hire and excellent weather.

Rovinj.jpg

Eventually we moved on south to Zadar, which whilst still very pleasant, didn't have the same ambiance as Istria and we headed north and inland to Plitvice National Park - a fantastic array of natural waterfalls and water features which is a must if you are within striking distance.

Plitvice.jpg

Plitvice Korana Campsite was run by the National Park but although large, had plenty of space, new facilities and a good restaurant.

Plitvice Campsite2.jpg
Our return was via Maribor, Southern Austria (more mountain passes) and Salzburg with overnights in Nuremberg and Koblenz. Salzburg Panorama campsite - again with excellent restaurant was easily accessible on a hill overlooking the city.

Salzburg2.jpg

The van performed faultlessly throughout and we felt that it was a really successful holiday.

Some reflections:
  • The ACSI Camping Card easily paid for itself
  • The ACSI Great Little Campsites app turned up many really good sites
  • Blackberry vans get hot but we still like the colour
  • Should have taken a fan as we couldn't buy one anywhere
  • Google Maps on Android Auto (using app connect) is incredibly useful. The amount of detail and the accuracy of real time traffic info is impressive. The app was running more or less all the time we were driving and used about 700 Mbytes of data whilst we were away.
  • Croatia and Slovenia felt safe and were good value
  • Some of the best restaurants are on campsites
Some recommended sites:

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. Filed away I'm my memory for the future.

Mike

Thank you @johnhampson, great report and I saved some places for our trip next week! Any chance to see some picture highlights?
sapto

Great review. We drove a lot of the same roads and routes but you had a much better view than I did.

Agree that the Skocjan Caves are impressive, and much less touristy that Postojna, but the scale of Postojna is jaw-dropping :shocked