Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Croatia - May to June 2020

Thanks again Tom. I hadn't got as far as checking the car insurance etc so not on radar hence my slight bewilderment (I thought you were referring to something more sinister - don't know why)! But it is on radar now!!
A quick check suggests Slovenia, Croatia and BH are not covered but will sort when policy is due for renewal in Feb. Thanks again.
I would expect your insurance to cover you for all EU countries, plus Norway, Switzerland and EEA micro states, and possibly Serbia and Montenegro. The cover you have overseas is very likely to be time limited, but should, at a very minimum, be 3rd party throughout the EU until, at least, 31 December 2020.

I would expect your insurance to cover you for all EU countries, plus Norway, Switzerland and EEA micro states, and possibly Serbia and Montenegro. The cover you have overseas is very likely to be time limited, but should, at a very minimum, be 3rd party throughout the EU until, at least, 31 December 2020.
Currently I have 90 days comprehensive cover for all the countries you mention plus Serbia and Iceland. I will see how I get on organising cover for Slovenia, Croatia and maybe B and H. I won't need more than 90 days in 2020. I am curious why you recommend to obtain cover at least to 31st December 2020.

Currently I have 90 days comprehensive cover for all the countries you mention plus Serbia and Iceland. I will see how I get on organising cover for Slovenia, Croatia and maybe B and H. I won't need more than 90 days in 2020. I am curious why you recommend to obtain cover at least to 31st December 2020.
Slovenia and Croatia are part of the EU and Slovenia is in Schengen, your insurance will cover you for both those countries (subject to the 90 day time limit) until at least 31 December 2020. That is the date when the Brexit transition period is due to end. After that, anything could happen. It may well be that to keep the cost of domestic motor insurance down, insurance companies will only offer European cover as an optional add-on. Or it may be that the UK signs a motor insurance treaty with the EU, but I expect that would require oversight by the European Courts of Justice, and there would be political opposition to the ECJ being able to overrule British courts.

Much of this is irrelevant. What it relevant is that you have 90 days cover, the same cover that you have in the UK, for Slovenia and Croatia, but not for Bosnia.

Slovenia and Croatia are part of the EU and Slovenia is in Schengen, your insurance will cover you for both those countries (subject to the 90 day time limit) until at least 31 December 2020. That is the date when the Brexit transition period is due to end. After that, anything could happen. It may well be that to keep the cost of domestic motor insurance down, insurance companies will only offer European cover as an optional add-on. Or it may be that the UK signs a motor insurance treaty with the EU, but I expect that would require oversight by the European Courts of Justice, and there would be political opposition to the ECJ being able to overrule British courts.

Much of this is irrelevant. What it relevant is that you have 90 days cover, the same cover that you have in the UK, for Slovenia and Croatia, but not for Bosnia.
Thanks again Tom. You have brought this matter to better focus for me and I really appreciate that. I know that our departure date is some way off but that is no reason for me to be a tad laid back/lazy about organising my insurance. Thanks for shaking me out of my winter torpor! :happy

We took the ferry to avoid BH to be safe and it was a very pleasant way to go

Spend more time in Slovenia than you originally planned. Very beautiful and the locals are much friendlier than in nearby Istria.

If you like it stunning but remote. Pag Island basic clean camping at Auto Camp Skovrdara Camping. Bridge onto the south of the Island and ferry out from the north.

Hi, we are planning to travel to Croatia this year from early May through to late June.
Our outward route will be via the Channel Tunnel, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia and on to Croatia. Return will be similar with a stop off in Epernay, France to meet some friends for a few days before finally heading home.
There will be just the two of us, both of us being over 60 and in good health. We like walking, islands (so interested in the ferry network), good eating/wine and a bit of peace and quiet. Not that bothered about beaches but wouldn't rule out camping close by. Our turnround point will be Dubrovnik.
I am really seeking advice about locations and camp sites in Croatia. What not to miss and what to give a wide berth! I've done all the usual things like look at the top ten etc in the guides. So any do's / don'ts and general guidance resulting from experience would be most welcome.
Croatia is excellent for camp sites are you in the camping and caravan club as you can join ACSI via this getting you good guide books and discounted camping we have travelled all over Croatia Istria is an excellent area plus the islands off it all easily accessible by reasonable priced ferries ⛴

Spend more time in Slovenia than you originally planned. Very beautiful and the locals are much friendlier than in nearby Istria.
Thanks for the tip. I expect after we have driven from Cornwall (VW California Meet) across the UK, North France, Belgium, Germany, Austria we will need a few days break. Thanks again.

Thanks for the tip. I expect after we have driven from Cornwall (VW California Meet) across the UK, North France, Belgium, Germany, Austria we will need a few days break. Thanks again.

Camp Špik is a great place

or well known:

OK its not Croatia but it is very close!
Bosnia and Herzegovina - I just got a quote for insurance from Comfort Insurance! Holy Moly! £42.40 for a weeks green card, one driver including admin fee of £20.
I make that £2,204.80 for a whole year for just one country. Is that right? Same as other folks experience? I heard you can buy it at the border. @Amarillo , you mentioned this Tom. Is that what you did? Can I ask how much it was and what cover was it for?

OK its not Croatia but it is very close!
Bosnia and Herzegovina - I just got a quote for insurance from Comfort Insurance! Holy Moly! £42.40 for a weeks green card, one driver including admin fee of £20.
I make that £2,204.80 for a whole year for just one country. Is that right? Same as other folks experience? I heard you can buy it at the border. @Amarillo , you mentioned this Tom. Is that what you did? Can I ask how much it was and what cover was it for?

We took the Ploče - Trpanj ferry to avoid B & H.

We took the Ploče - Trpanj ferry to avoid B & H.
Sorry for all my questions Tom, but did you pre-book (I see you can only book for the day not the crossing) or just turn up at the ferry port and in either case how long did you have to wait for boarding?

Sorry for all my questions Tom, but did you pre-book (I see you can only book for the day not the crossing) or just turn up at the ferry port and in either case how long did you have to wait for boarding?
We just turned up. The next ferry was in ~2 hours (from memory) so we went of to Lidl, stocked up with supplies for four days and returned to the port ~30 minutes before boarding, buying the ticket at the dock.

I've just consulted Google timeline which knows far more about what we did than I can recall:

1580904911522.png

Arrived at the port sometime before 12:41, ferry departed at 14:09.

And then... Sometime between 17:45 and 19:13 we watched a campsite mouse catcher give birth.

1580905187736.png

That is all just an aside. But it does demonstrate how having Google timeline switched on can save your memories for you.

We used the campsite at Orebić as a base to visit Korčula and Dubrovnik. The campsite takes ASCI Camping Card. Both the pool and restaurant were shut in April, but in the process of opening. Lidl in Ploče was a waste of time as there is a good supermarket opposite the campsite entrance.

We just turned up. The next ferry was in ~2 hours (from memory) so we went of to Lidl, stocked up with supplies for four days and returned to the port ~30 minutes before boarding, buying the ticket at the dock.

I've just consulted Google timeline which knows far more about what we did than I can recall:

View attachment 54982

Arrived at the port sometime before 12:41, ferry departed at 14:09.

And then... Sometime between 17:45 and 19:13 we watched a campsite mouse catcher give birth.

View attachment 54983

That is all just an aside. But it does demonstrate how having Google timeline switched on can save your memories for you.

We used the campsite at Orebić as a base to visit Korčula and Dubrovnik. The campsite takes ASCI Camping Card. Both the pool and restaurant were shut in April, but in the process of opening. Lidl in Ploče was a waste of time as there is a good supermarket opposite the campsite entrance.
Great info Tom, especially the supermarket tip!

Well, it probably wont be any surprise to you all that we ended up not going to Croatia in 2020/21 and that it is now back on our radar but with all the additional COVID border stuff to consider.
Can anyone provide an in-site to getting across Europe (France, Germany, Austria, Slovinia, Croatia and return) in summer of 2022 whilst satisfying the authorities of our credentials. Currently getting into France and getting back to the UK is easy but the rest of the borders are a lot less clear to me. Any advice? Is the dPLF a requirement across all of Europe and how dose that work when touring and one may not know where one is staying for any specific day?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sad
Well, it probably wont be any surprise to you all that we ended up not going to Croatia in 2020/21 and that it is now back on our radar but with all the additional COVID border stuff to consider.
Can anyone provide an in-site to getting across Europe (France, Germany, Austria, Slovinia, Croatia and return) in summer of 2022 whilst satisfying the authorities of our credentials. Currently getting into France and getting back to the UK is easy but the rest of the borders are a lot less clear to me. Any advice? Is the dPLF a requirement across all of Europe and how dose that work when touring and one may not know where one is staying for any specific day?
Re dPLF : we had to prepare for this in 2020 when we went through France to the Pyrenees. Google up some camp sites where you want to be going and email them. Once they have replied with a positive response for the day you’re looking to be in that area use their address for any dplf.
If you don’t end up using the site so be it but you will have email evidence of a confirmed location. Good luck we went that route in 2018 and found using Google map that best way to locate local interesting sites.
Hillside

Did Croatia this summer albeit starting within the EU. Only place I had to show vaccination certificate was entering Croatia.

Once you are into the EU it’s smooth sailing, no internal borders however you do need to present vaccination certificates in some countries, for example for a hotel stay in Germany.

The PLF just use your first known stop, or planned stop, the purpose of the form is tracking air passengers rather than those that have not been in contact, like the chunnel, so nothing to worry about.

Rules are disappearing and by the summer suspect will be mostly gone. Focus on where you are entering and it will be fine.

In terms of what to carry, passports, vehicle ownership docs and insurance (incl green card), covid vaccination passport, medical insurance (EHIC replacement doesn’t work everywhere so check).

This summer Slovenia was closed so we went Slovakia/Hungary, but there are plenty of options to be flexible with routes. Happy to share specifics and discuss options if it helps.

We went to Croatia in summer and visited Slovenia on our way to it twice. We startet in Tyrol and drove to Ljubljana from there we went to Krk and back again.
We only showed our covid vaccination passport at the boarder to Croatia and at the campsites in AT, SLO and HR. As @Tarquers said: Focus on where you want to go and what kind of route you are planning to drive.
Happy to help!