Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cross Climates 2 reassurance request.

M

Moon Madness

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hello everyone.
I am just hoping for some reassurance before I press a few buttons and order some tyres. I am looking at Cross Climate 2’s in the 235/55/17 size, but see they are car listed, however, I see they are rated at 103 so believe they are suitable without having to buy the Agilis van version. Anyone already made the switch and can confirm all is okay and they would be a good choice? Thanks in advance.

I am about to press the button on the cross climate agilis, which I think are more chunky and have a higher rating.

We have Agilis. Very happy would buy again.

I have Agilis and the dealer told me at the last service that I would not get through the next MOT with them as they are not listed in the owners manual. They are 225, not 235as that is all I could get. Michelin list them as an option on their website - search by regisration. I have asked VW customer service to confirm one way or another but no reply after several weeks . Has anyone had a similar experience?

My T6 van passed its MOT with Agilis.

There is an XL version, XL meaning extra load.

I ordered the Michelin CrossClimate2 235/55 R17 103Y XL to have them installed when my van arrives. I chose the tyre based on reviews on YouTube but I don't have any first hand experience.

The above tyre size is what the online Michelin Tyre selector gives you for the Volkswagen California, which I confirmed with my dealer.

I've had these for the last 18 months or so. Very good tyres in my opinion.
There is an XL version, XL meaning extra load.

I ordered the Michelin CrossClimate2 235/55 R17 103Y XL to have them installed when my van arrives. I chose the tyre based on reviews on YouTube but I don't have any first hand experience.

The above tyre size is what the online Michelin Tyre selector gives you for the Volkswagen California, which I confirmed with my dealer

I have Agilis and the dealer told me at the last service that I would not get through the next MOT with them as they are not listed in the owners manual. They are 225, not 235as that is all I could get.

As 215 and 235 widths are listed by VW as long as the load and speed ratings are within spec there is absolutely no reason to fail an MoT for a tyre of that width.

Sounds like you can't go wrong with either.
I have the cross climares second set.

I have Agilis and the dealer told me at the last service that I would not get through the next MOT with them as they are not listed in the owners manual. They are 225, not 235as that is all I could get. Michelin list them as an option on their website - search by regisration. I have asked VW customer service to confirm one way or another but no reply after several weeks . Has anyone had a similar experience?
Dealer talking rubbish.
As others have said tyres must be load rated for the vehicle, minimum is 102 but 103 or more is normal.

What numbers are on the tyre sidewall? 225/xx/16or17 xxx ?

Now hundreds of vans running around on 19" or 20" wheels with up to 275 width on the 20" rims.

Hello everyone.
I am just hoping for some reassurance before I press a few buttons and order some tyres. I am looking at Cross Climate 2’s in the 235/55/17 size, but see they are car listed, however, I see they are rated at 103 so believe they are suitable without having to buy the Agilis van version. Anyone already made the switch and can confirm all is okay and they would be a good choice? Thanks in advance.
Personally I find that the SUV version is more suited to the Cali weight and is also designed for light off road use, fields & tracks.
Same Load & speed rating as the car version.

Example source

I was recommended to go for the SUV version. No regrets

Anyone used these on 16inch rims? in which case what size did you use?

It would appear they don't do my size which is 215/65 16

Bit annoying as I have the 2 fronts to fit, with the rears to follow as they have lots of life left. But I don't want to have two different sizes on the vehicle.

Any other recommendations for all weather tyres instead of the Agilis??

Bit annoying as I have the 2 fronts to fit, with the rears to follow as they have lots of life left. But I don't want to have two different sizes on the vehicle.

Goodyear do a couple of options

Hello everyone.
I have had these 4 Michelin Cross climate 2 235/55 R17 103Y XL version on my van for a week. Black circles fully fitted £552.56.
On the road no significant increase in road noise. Wet grip excellent and less slip on wet grass compared to original Dunlop’s Sports.
No sign that side walls are less stiff (No extra crashes and bangs on poor road surfaces.
No change in cornering speed or any significant extra understeer on roads that I regularly travel.
Haven’t yet broken traction on hill starts (150 dsg 2 wheel drive) but need more time to test.
Next will be cold weather test !!

Contrary to some advice on cross climate 2... go for the XL and not the SUV. The latter have stiffer side walls for off reading. However, this means they will be less "comfortable" for normal campervanning use.

Does anyone know what VW supply as standard when you spec all weather/seasons tyres on 16's ?

Does anyone know what VW supply as standard when you spec all weather/seasons tyres on 16's ?
I suspect this wil be a moving target, VW will provide the cheapest at the time that matches the "all weather/season" spec.

All 3 of the Michelin tyres in this thread exist in your size:

Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 215/65 R16C 109/107T Weight: 1030x4 kg; Speed: 118 mph

Michelin CrossClimate 215/65 R16 102V XL, SUV Weight: 850x4 kg; Speed: 149 mph

Michelin CrossClimate2 215/65 R16 102V XL Weight: 850x4 kg; Speed: 149 mph

Yup,, I found them on Black circles. Now fitted to the front.

Quite chunky compared to the original Goodyears. I quite like the sidewall bumper strip.IMG_7148[1].JPG

Back