Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Michelin Agilis Crossclimate tyres seem a rough ride?

I

ianevans

Just purchased Michelin Agilis Crossclimates. size 215 65 R16 C. Have now driven them for about 1,200 miles and they seem a rough ride to me. Here is what I have found:

1. Reduced the cold pressures to 44 all round and it did make a difference to the ride.

2. On our drive through France, the tyres seemed pretty good for the first few hours of the day and then rougher as the day wore on. Could this be a temperature thing? 12 degrees in the morning and 25 degrees by mid-afternoon.

3. The tread looks great for poor weather and especially winter, but I am beginning to second guess my choice of the cross climate tyres. I read all the club posts before I purchased the cross climates as I did want all season capability. The reports seemed great and especially re a smooth ride........

Does anyone have any similar experiences or ideas as to what I can try? I am reluctant to reduce the pressures lower than 44. I could have the wheels re-balanced, but not sure that would help.

If anyone can assist, I would appreciate it!

Ian

I have also switched from my old 235/55/17 Nexen winter tires to 215/60/17 Michelin Agilis Crossclimate on my Ford Nugget, and I have to say that I have experienced a significant decrease in ride comfort as well. I now feel every little crack in the road and the entire van rattles all the time. It's probably due to higher tire pressure (previously I had 3.0 bar, now I have 3.6 bar - 52psi).

They are a bit noisier, but I don't really care about that though. What is even more surprising to me, is that milage has also decreased, from 32mpg to 29mpg - which is really strange, since B-rated narrower tires on higher pressure should be more efficient than D-rated wider tires. It is true though, that I have also changed the oil, oil filter and filled in AdBlue, which might have some effect on consumption... Ianevans, what is your experience with the mileage?

I have not noticed a decline in MPG. Seems pretty much the same to me. I have been running pressures at 44 psi all round (door recommendation). I am going to try 42 psi in the front and see if that makes a difference. Now we have bought them, we will have to make them work somehow.

I would certainly have bought something else if I had known about the rough ride.

Surely the drop from 235 to 215 accconts for a large amount of the difference. Old tyres 50 psi vs new 40 psi !
having gone the other way comfort has increased, mpg is worse by a couple of mpg, but comfort is up by 100%!

You can run the rears at 41 psi.

Are you sure? 41 seems incredibly low. I have tried 52 psi and It already looked as if the tires were a bit deflated. 215/60/17 109/107 should probably be more like 55-58psi, to get maximum fuel economy and performance, isn't that right? I'm willing to sacrifice some of that for comfort, but not at the expense of damaging the tire...

What does the tyre plate say in the door jam?

Hello,

I changed from the standard tyres that came with the GC to Michelin Agilis CrossClimate (235/60 R17 C 117/115 R).

In comparison to the Continental ContiVanContac 200 I didn't experienced any difference in ride quality, neither on dry or wet roads. Also the diesel consumption is the same.

I only experienced better grip on tougher, dirtier roads. Have I said that I don't want to "test" the tyres on a muddy campsite fields. But have I said that I trust those tyres more on gravel roads. The tyres itself and the sides are tougher than the Continental tyres.

Regards,
Eberhard

I'm not surprised to hear this. There are a few vocal members who swear by the agilis range over the regular cross climate + or SUV version, but most here go for the latter. The agilis is a full Commercial (van) tyre, which also seems to have some full snow advantages, but for use on a Cali in a normal mix of climates, I'd stick to the 10psi lower pressure the 235 x 55 regular cross climates SUV offer.

All good information. As I mentioned in the first post, my tyres are Michelin Agilis Crossclimate and size 215 65 R16 C. Door plate says 44 psi all round, but the ride is still a bit rough unless the pavement is perfect. It does not seem to matter much which speed you are driving at. Same road feeling at 40 mph as 60 mph.

I am considering dropping the pressure further to 42 psi or 41 psi in the front. Any advice as to whether this is too low for safety? Ride will likely improve.

Thanks,
Ian

We have a set of Agilis 215s. Very happy with the ride, noise and mpg. Driving from near Bristol to Cumbria achieved 40 mpg. Then on a flat run from Workington to Carlisle managed 44 mpg - according to trip computer. Will wait and see how the real figures work out (full tank to full tank) when we get back. Would happily purchase Agilis again. Tyre pressures 50 psi all round.

All good information. As I mentioned in the first post, my tyres are Michelin Agilis Crossclimate and size 215 65 R16 C. Door plate says 44 psi all round, but the ride is still a bit rough unless the pavement is perfect. It does not seem to matter much which speed you are driving at. Same road feeling at 40 mph as 60 mph.

I am considering dropping the pressure further to 42 psi or 41 psi in the front. Any advice as to whether this is too low for safety? Ride will likely improve.

Thanks,
Ian
Too high a pressure and you have a convex tread in contact with the road, so less tyre tread in contact, and central wear.
Too low a pressure and you get a concave tread in contact, once again less tyre tread in contact, and shoulder wear.
To get the correct pressure for your vehicle, select a pressure for both axles, front and rear. Using chalk put a large line across the tread width. Go for a drive, about 10 miles.
Examine the chalk line. If you have the correct pressure the chalk line should be equally scrubbed across the whole tread. If more prominent in the centre, pressure too low, if prominent on the shoulders pressure too high.
Lowering pressures for comfort or increasing pressures for economy can be dangerous if it means less tread in contact with the road surface.

We have a set of Agilis 215s. Very happy with the ride, noise and mpg. Driving from near Bristol to Cumbria achieved 40 mpg. Then on a flat run from Workington to Carlisle managed 44 mpg - according to trip computer. Will wait and see how the real figures work out (full tank to full tank) when we get back. Would happily purchase Agilis again. Tyre pressures 50 psi all round.

That's some great mileage! What is the official pressure recommendation for 215s for your van? Is it 50 or higher? A asked a guy at a tyre repair shop, and he said that those are commercial tires which should be run 56psi or higher.

Last year we fitted Michelin Agilis CrossClimates 215/65/R16/T109.
Pressure when fully loaded 3,4 bar, not fully loaded 3,2 bar. Smooth driving on the exellent highways here in Holland.

During two month of traveling in Greece, with mostly bumby roads, we experienced no rough rides. Sound is not specially load in our opinion, just a little bit more noisy than the standard Dunlop 215/65/R16C that we had fitted before.

Temperatures in Greece were from 20 Celsius in the morning to 38 C some late afternoons. Maybe we are not that sensitive, but we felt no difference driving in the cooler mornings or in the hotter afternoons (when the pressure must have been risen considerably).

On dirt roads and gravel the tyres have a nice firm grip (front wheel drive).

Just don't ever steer into a soaked camping, like we did on the last day of our journey in Greece. See attached pic.
The camping owner had to tow us out with his tractor, just in time to catch the booked ferry to Italy only an hour later. The profile of the spinning CrossClimate tyres was filled with mud in just seconds. Nice shiny even rubber surface with no grip at all. Took a few kilometers to drive the mud out.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

20211017_104440.jpg

That's some great mileage! What is the official pressure recommendation for 215s for your van? Is it 50 or higher? A asked a guy at a tyre repair shop, and he said that those are commercial tires which should be run 56psi or higher.
According to the chart on the driver's door panel 215s should be about 50psi, maybe 51 or 53 if heavily laden.

With my 215 65 R16C cross climate tyres I started at 44 psi all round. In France touring around and increased the psi today to 46 all round = better ride. So................. going to try increasing to 48 psi all round and see how that is. On my driver's door, it says for these tyres 49 front and 51 rear fully loaded. 44 psi all round partially loaded.

Maybe a higher psi = better ride!? Would not have thought so.

Had some Agilis M+S. Strong tyre but could be quite noisy and trashy ride (ran at 50psi). Currently running Goodyear Marathon, much quieter and more comfortable (45psi).

Here is a little known problem with Cross Climate 2.

The tread pattern is perfect for capturing 3/4 inch stone chippings (5 tonnes of which used to be on my driveway.

Park the Cali for 10 mins and and around 2.5kg of gravel leaves with me each time I drive away.

Rough man maths 2000 park ups on my drive and all gravel will have left.

Have to brush off each time I leave.

D20B63D4-C4B4-4469-A7A4-FD35965FC502.jpeg

Last year we fitted Michelin Agilis CrossClimates 215/65/R16/T109.
Pressure when fully loaded 3,4 bar, not fully loaded 3,2 bar. Smooth driving on the exellent highways here in Holland.

During two month of traveling in Greece, with mostly bumby roads, we experienced no rough rides. Sound is not specially load in our opinion, just a little bit more noisy than the standard Dunlop 215/65/R16C that we had fitted before.

Temperatures in Greece were from 20 Celsius in the morning to 38 C some late afternoons. Maybe we are not that sensitive, but we felt no difference driving in the cooler mornings or in the hotter afternoons (when the pressure must have been risen considerably).

On dirt roads and gravel the tyres have a nice firm grip (front wheel drive).

Just don't ever steer into a soaked camping, like we did on the last day of our journey in Greece. See attached pic.
The camping owner had to tow us out with his tractor, just in time to catch the booked ferry to Italy only an hour later. The profile of the spinning CrossClimate tyres was filled with mud in just seconds. Nice shiny even rubber surface with no grip at all. Took a few kilometers to drive the mud out.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

View attachment 93168
Has anyone else had problems with Michlin Agilis cross climates on mud/grass?

Has anyone else had problems with Michlin Agilis cross climates on mud/grass?

I’ve been shot down in the past for saying it. But CrossClimates are crap on wet muddy grass. Brilliant tyres for colder months and UK snow conditions along with general road driving. However, I almost got stuck in Switzerland one year with them, parked on a farm.
I did manage to drive away, but it took some effort

You just have to look at the various all-season type tyres on the market so see that their tread pattern is designed for roads - maybe cold, wet roads but still roads anyway. To get any decent traction on muck, gravel etc you need a much more blocky tread (ie an all-terrain or a hybrid type) to make much difference.

Obviously whatever you go for it's always a compromise.

I’m probably guilty of wanting too much!!

The tread pattern is perfect for capturing 3/4 inch stone chippings (5 tonnes of which used to be on my driveway.

Park the Cali for 10 mins and and around 2.5kg of gravel leaves with me each time I drive away.

View attachment 93965My goodyea

View attachment 93965
my goodyear vectors do this too.