Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Michelin Cross Climate 2 tyres - concern re weight rating?

I

ianevans

Just about to install Michelin Cross Climate 2 on our 2007 California. Garage has contacted us and say that the tire is not a commercially rated tire and do I want something else. I have looked at at the threads on tyres and it seems that the Michelin Cross Climate 2 are a favourite with many California owners. Do I need to be concerned about the weight rating issues brought up?

Thanks, Ian

Just about to install Michelin Cross Climate 2 on our 2007 California. Garage has contacted us and say that the tire is not a commercially rated tire and do I want something else. I have looked at at the threads on tyres and it seems that the Michelin Cross Climate 2 are a favourite with many California owners. Do I need to be concerned about the weight rating issues brought up?

Thanks, Ian
As long as the Weight Rating is 103 or greater, NO.

My Crossclimate 2 tyres are 103Y rated, and my Cali Ocean is registered at 3080Kg .... all is good. The company that fitted the tyres is in Germany (as I live there) which means they go absolutely by the book and would refuse to fit them if there was a weight rating problem.

"103" is good for 875Kg .... which means it's OK on a 3500kg vehicle if the weight distribution is even over all wheels.

"Y" is the speed rating .... and Y is good for 300km/h ... My Cali hasn't achieved this yet, even on the autobahns, downhill, with the wind behind it.

Thanks so much. The ones the garage were going to fit are 102 rated and our Gross Vehicle weight is 3,000 kgs. Will this be OK? Another option is the SUV version of the cross climate 2, which is rated to 109.
I want to make 100% sure we are legal in the UK and Europe for insurance purposes.

Thanks, Ian

Thanks so much. The ones the garage were going to fit are 102 rated and our Gross Vehicle weight is 3,000 kgs. Will this be OK? Another option is the SUV version of the cross climate 2, which is rated to 109.
I want to make 100% sure we are legal in the UK and Europe for insurance purposes.

Thanks, Ian
I have the SUV version 235/55/R17 103Y

102 is 850kg per tyre, 3400Kg in total. So you should be fine.

Mine are Michelin Crossclimate 2 255/45 R18 103Y EL M+S ... and I'm very happy with them in snow, mud, and dry tarmac on the autobahns. Certainly beats the Winter/Summer tyre swap PITA which is legislated here.

Thanks, Ian
The 109 makes the ride harsh with the thicker sidewalls.

I think 'Commercial' just means that they are rated to up to 3.5T.

Check max load printed on tyre wall (see photo for example ):

950kg / single, multiply by 4 to give you max load on 4 corners = 3800kgs

Needs to be rated at least 770kg / single for a Cali basis 3080kgs (max laden weight.)

FF2E7F36-E30C-4153-BCAA-234C8AB3AEDF.jpeg

Last edited:
PS: Check your registration document as to what the manufacturer rating is. Probably a good idea to stay at or above this as your insurance company might try and wriggle out of payment if your tyres are below the recommended manufacturers rating.

Check max load printed on tyre wall (see photo for example ):

950kg / single, multiply by 4 to give you max load on 4 corners = 3.8T

Needs to be rated at least 875kg / single for a Cali basis 3.5T.

View attachment 91467

You don't just divide by four.
You check what the maximum axle load is at each end & divide the highest of those figures by two.
Very few vehicles have the same axle weight for front & rear.

On current oceans overall Gross vehicle weight is 3080kg , rear axle is 1575kg and front is 1620kg which would imply a rating of 101 at 825kg is OK
However the data sticker on the B pillar of mine didn't list any tyre under 103 as a fitment & I would have concerned about insurance etc if fitting a tyre of less than the manufacturers recommended rating.

I had the same concern. Decided to go safe and put on the Aglis Cross Climates. Very happy even if a bit over engineered.

I had the Michelin cross climates installed and they are a very rough ride. They are 215 65 R16 C with a weight rating of 104 / 106 T. I was told they are commercially rated. The photo below is from the vehicle door post showing the recommended tyres. From reading above, it seems that the extra thick sidewalls may be causing the issue?

I also want to trigger the Michelin 30-day satisfaction guarantee and exchange these tyres for something smoother. Given the door rating image, what should I switch out for? 104, 102 or 103 weight rating?

Does anyone have any experience in switching Michelin tyres out for exchange in under 30 days?

Thanks!

20220424_073013_resized_edited.jpg

I had the Michelin cross climates installed and they are a very rough ride. They are 215 65 R16 C with a weight rating of 104 / 106 T. I was told they are commercially rated. The photo below is from the vehicle door post showing the recommended tyres. From reading above, it seems that the extra thick sidewalls may be causing the issue?

I also want to trigger the Michelin 30-day satisfaction guarantee and exchange these tyres for something smoother. Given the door rating image, what should I switch out for? 104, 102 or 103 weight rating?

Does anyone have any experience in switching Michelin tyres out for exchange in under 30 days?

Thanks!

View attachment 92215
On Commercial tyres with two load markings on single wheel axles you use the higher number. The lower number is applied when twin/double wheels are fitted (as in larger vans/trucks) as the load capacity isn't twice that of a single wheel. For Cali's just use the higher number.

I went up from 103 to 106 load rating and found the ride better but also increased the profile from 55 to 60.
Todays roads need pretty resilient tyres to withstand the constant impact of ruts and potholes.

Have 102y on mine. Meet axle weight requirements.

I have just tried reducing the tyre pressures. I went from 48 front and 50 rear to 44 front and 45 rear. It made a huge difference to the ride. If you look at the door panel, it suggests 49 front and 51 rear when you have 9 people and luggage. With us 2 and the California camping stuff, there is no way we are as heavy as 9 people and luggage. With 3 people and luggage it recommends 44 front and rear.

Any thoughts? Safe at 44 front and rear?

Thanks.

I have just tried reducing the tyre pressures. I went from 48 front and 50 rear to 44 front and 45 rear. It made a huge difference to the ride. If you look at the door panel, it suggests 49 front and 51 rear when you have 9 people and luggage. With us 2 and the California camping stuff, there is no way we are as heavy as 9 people and luggage. With 3 people and luggage it recommends 44 front and rear.

Thanks.
Yes..

Thanks.
My Crossclimates, rated at 103, specify a maximum pressure of 50 psi.
If you start at 50 psi on a cool morning before running, you will easily hit 55+psi on a hot afternoon on the motorway, so much better to start at 44.

All good feedback. They run a lot better at 44, especially with the "C" rating and harder sidewalls.

I was concerned by similar when I had 16" wheels - the data plate in the driver door said that only R16C (commercial) tyres were valid on those wheels. I have no doubt that since 2008 technology has improved so that an appropriately load rated R16 tyre would be fine - but as it happened I managed to get 4 new 17" wheels with 4 new tyres on for the same cost as 4 new tyres, and on my data plate 17" didn't need to be commercial tyres, so win/win.

I suspect a lot of the data plates are very different, have evolved over time, so it really depends on how old your vehicle is, what the data plate says, how much technology has advanced in that you can use alternatives that are as good or better than the plated numbers - and your appetite as to how far you are willing to go "off piste" from the data plate in case the worst happens.

Thanks Steve. Since I have reduced the tyre pressures to 44 all round, it has made a big difference. I like the tyres and they will be great for all seasons.

I see that Michelin have launched a Cross Climate Camping tyre, certified 3PMSF with revised casing design and reinforced sidewalls. There are currently only four sizes at sixteen inch diameter. Black Circles are selling them for around £220 fitted.

I too had the load rating discussion just now in the garage. Stood reading this thread in there. Anyway we have decided they're fine at 103

20231011_120926.jpg

Back