Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cruz Tow Ball luggage carrier

B

Bromley47

iVan Sets Off
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Has anyone used one of these and any good? I was looking at the Thule type (Easy Base 949) as a few web sites say they do bike attachments. I primarily want to use as a luggage carrier with the option of converting to a bike carrier, but apparently Thule no longer offer the bike adapters. (I assume they want you to buy both the bike carrier and the Easy Base..!). The Cruz design (same price) offers the bike adapters as an extra (£22.50). The Cruz is also tiltable, which the Thule isnt, but still not sure if the Cruz will allow the tail gate to lift up (with the luggage taken off) Van Is a California Ocean T6.

Would welcome any comments & advice.

I picked up a Fiamma Motorhome bike rack for a mere £16 and used the wheel channels and securing clamps on a Thule Easy Base. As you say no tilt facility on the Easy Base which I had prior to the Cali.

I picked up a Fiamma Motorhome bike rack for a mere £16 and used the wheel channels and securing clamps on a Thule Easy Base. As you say no tilt facility on the Easy Base which I had prior to the Cali.
Thanks for your reply- did the Thule allow the tailgate to open?
I was thinking maybe to get the Thule Easy Base (Swedish design and manufacture ) and see (somehow?) if the Cruz (Spanish) bike rails fitted.

Thanks for your reply- did the Thule allow the tailgate to open?
I was thinking maybe to get the Thule Easy Base (Swedish design and manufacture ) and see (somehow?) if the Cruz (Spanish) bike rails fitted.
No it didn't open but I'm sure that someone on here modified the vertical bar mounting to enable the tailgate to open.
I have an Atera bike rack for the Cali. so don't use the Thule on it.

Don't know why the Thule gets a bad rap. Yes, it opens with the stock tow bar but I put a spacer in mine to allow greater clearance and dropped my ball hitch to the lower setting of the mounting holes. I have the Thule Easyfold XT2 and it will fit without a spacer and the tailgate will definitely open, but the bike carrier during mounting must be angled as far as it will go away/down from the rear door. There is only a couple of millimeters clearance from the highest point of the carrier. However, to avoid the faff, I inserted a 10mm steel spacer and that provides more than ample clearance for the tailgate. Be aware, you will need to buy some longer M16 bolts (taking a 24mm socket) and tighten the bolts to the required setting (I tightened mine to 225nm). Here are a few pictures with the carrier mounted and showing the spacer I used (purchased at my local trailer hitch store). The two bicycles sit on the carrier well and when tilted, do not touch the ground even on the lower hitch setting.

IMG_6262.JPG

IMG_6263.JPG

IMG_6265.JPG

IMG_6266.JPG

Back