Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow Bar

Alex Currie

Alex Currie

Papasmurf
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I have a T6 and thinking of having a removable tow bar retro-fitted. How easy is it and how much does it cost? The main reason is so that we could attach the Atera Strada DL3 bike carrier for e-bikes.
I am sure this will have been discussed on a forum but I have been unable to see any threads.

Westfalia make the removable tow bar VW fit. Relatively easy to have done except you will need the right electrics installed. These have to be interconnected with the vans computer for the system to work correctly.

Do not have the wiring tacked into the rear lights as a cheaper option.

If your van has the electrics pre-installed by the factory this becomes a lot easier. A good local company will do it for you and takes no more than a day to do. Westfalia have approved fitters. I would go to one of those. VW will only send the van out to one of those anyway.

Alan

Fitted tow bar myself. PF Jones westfalia agents sell a westfalia wiring kit that goes under van. They also have fitting agent countrywide www pfjones.co.uk

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have fitted tow bars on T5's and 6's using factory tow bars and a Westfalia detachable. Very easy to do in less than an hour. Wired them both up using a generic CANBUS relay as neither vehicle was tow bar prep'd. Both work fine with no error messages or codes. You could have it all done in a couple of hours. Slightly easier if you have a helper to remove the bumper and when bolting on the tow bar but you can do it on your own.

I have fitted tow bars on T5's and 6's using factory tow bars and a Westfalia detachable. Very easy to do in less than an hour. Wired them both up using a generic CANBUS relay as neither vehicle was tow bar prep'd. Both work fine with no error messages or codes. You could have it all done in a couple of hours. Slightly easier if you have a helper to remove the bumper and when bolting on the tow bar but you can do it on your own.
Does that relay 'talk' to the ecu ?
Electrics need to interface with ecu to give correct brake balance so as not to risk burning out van rear brakes. Also switches rear parking sensors off as well as the fog lite. It is also needed for the alarm to sound when trailer unhitched when alarm set.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

No it doesn't as I used a generic relay. For the size and weight of what I tow, I've never had a problem with brake imbalance. I turn off the parking sensors with the button.
I'm not convinced you need to worry about all of this really just to fit a bike rack. If I was towing a large plant trailer or loaded horse box I would have done it differently but this way suits my purpose fine.

Thank you all for your advice. Greatly appreciated. More research!

Birty, yes we have decided to go down the route of having the tow bar and electrics fitted by Lookers in Darnley, Glasgow. It is going to cost £1,100 to get it fitted but I think it is worth it to ensure that it is fitted properly and with the right electrics. If there are any problems with it I know that Lookers will resolve them without a fuss. We are thinking of buying the Thule 3-bike rack that fits onto the tow ball. The bike rack slides down to allow access to the rear without removing the bikes.

Birty, yes we have decided to go down the route of having the tow bar and electrics fitted by Lookers in Darnley, Glasgow. It is going to cost £1,100 to get it fitted but I think it is worth it to ensure that it is fitted properly and with the right electrics. If there are any problems with it I know that Lookers will resolve them without a fuss. We are thinking of buying the Thule 3-bike rack that fits onto the tow ball. The bike rack slides down to allow access to the rear without removing the bikes.
Yes good decision but still unsure how they arrive at that price !

Fit seems quite expensive. Our van is currently in the process of being fitted with a Witter tow bar. Total cost of fit with electrics is £510. Reputable company being used so not expecting any problems. Not sure whether the Thule 3 bike rack tilts far enough to allow access to rear. Research on the subject of suitable bike rack to allow access to rear is very confusing!

I would agree seems a bit to expensive to me we had one fitted by Birmingham VW commercials cost £550 all in.

A lot of dealers just farm it out to the local fitters. Sounds like Lookers are after making a big profit. We had one fitted on our previous van by the local Westfalia dealer who does all the VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat bars for dealers. Cost about 550 with the correct coding.