Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Current choice of Dashcams

J

JandA

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hello all I am hoping to have my Ocean delivered in April and want to get a dashcam (front and rear facing) fitted. New models are continually coming to market so I wondered if anyone has investigated what is currently available and any suggestions on one that works well

Hello all I am hoping to have my Ocean delivered in April and want to get a dashcam (front and rear facing) fitted. New models are continually coming to market so I wondered if anyone has investigated what is currently available and any suggestions on one that works well
I have the Blackvue Dashcams installed front and rear which work very well. These will link to Cloud storage via WiFi if you have a MiFi unit in the van too.

Alan

I have Blackvue front and rear which connect to the cloud via built on SIM and/or WiFi. They also have Parking Mode. Very pleased with them.
BlackVue DR750-2CH LTE

BlackVue 650s front and rear for me.

Had no issues.

Mike

We have just had the BlackVue DR750X-2CH fitted (front and rear). We are really happy with it - the company fitting it took incredible care with the vehicle and the wiring to the rear is not visible at all and all van components are still in perfect order (we were a bit concerned about this initially)

We have just had the BlackVue DR750X-2CH fitted (front and rear). We are really happy with it - the company fitting it took incredible care with the vehicle and the wiring to the rear is not visible at all and all van components are still in perfect order (we were a bit concerned about this initially)
How much was it fitted please

£645 fitted (which included them coming to our house to fit it on the drive - took nearly a whole day)

Can you tell me a bit more about it, especially interested in the connected pieces

What mobile carrier have you decided on Pay as you go?
Does it email you a picture or text when movement detected
Does it have cloud integration and do you pay subscription for this
Have you managed to connect it to the on-board WiFi or sim in vw?

Just getting my new cali ocean next week along wigh ghost thinking of getting it fitted.

Regards

Mike

Hi
We haven't taken the option to upload remotely - we just do it on WiFi in the van - once you have uploaded the videos you can then save and view them anywhere if you need to
We get audio messages when we get back in the van if movement has been detected
We haven't taken out the subscription for cloud integration
We have connected it to the on-board WiFi
Hope this helps!
PS we have had the same system in our car for a year and it has been really good (one recent upgrade is that the battery management system for parking mode is now contained in the camera unit)

Can you tell me a bit more about it, especially interested in the connected pieces

What mobile carrier have you decided on Pay as you go?
Does it email you a picture or text when movement detected
Does it have cloud integration and do you pay subscription for this
Have you managed to connect it to the on-board WiFi or sim in vw?

Just getting my new cali ocean next week along wigh ghost thinking of getting it fitted.

Regards

Mike
BlackVue DR750-2CH LTE
Can view stored images from anywhere where i have a phone signal or WiFi connection. ‘Events’ are saved. Also has Live View and sound recording. My monthly cost is £4 and it’s with Vodafone. If you use Parking Mode you need to install the Power Magic Plus to protect your starter battery from being drained.

BlackVue DR750-2CH LTE
Can view stored images from anywhere where i have a phone signal or WiFi connection. ‘Events’ are saved. Also has Live View and sound recording. My monthly cost is £4 and it’s with Vodafone. If you use Parking Mode you need to install the Power Magic Plus to protect your starter battery from being drained.
Did you get it fitted, who by, how much please

SatNav Solutions in Surbiton supplied and fitted it. Chap I dealt with was Ben Baggot. It was an all day job. Expensive at >£850 but I really doubt I could have installed the rear camera on the tailgate window easily (if at all). Depends on your level of expertise but routing the cable into and through the tailgate was a bit daunting for me. I believe some people have installed rear cameras inside the van rather than on the tailgate which makes it easy, but then you can’t pull up the rear window blind without obscuring the camera!

BlackVue DR750-2CH LTE
I installed my BlackVue with the Power Magic plus powered from the leisure batteries. Two batteries will last a long time and the engine one will always be available to start the engine was my thinking.

I needed to pick an ignition feed which was easy once my local dealer advised which fuses on the dash panel fuse board was live when the ignition was switched on. Apparently, even that was bending VWUK rules of Data Protection!

Alan

I installed my BlackVue with the Power Magic plus powered from the leisure batteries. Two batteries will last a long time and the engine one will always be available to start the engine was my thinking.

Sounds like a good setup. How long would a BlackVue function on the leisure batteries? Is it days? Weeks?

Might help someone. When I had mine put in they put in a switch here. Means I can choose to turn it off easily if I wish, which in my circumstances I normally do. If it’s in a car park I just leave it on and it goes into parked mode.

931df799a958bdd9f4acbceb9b12ec22.jpg

Mike

Sounds like a good setup. How long would a BlackVue function on the leisure batteries? Is it days? Weeks?
I have no idea, to be honest. Suffice to say the leisure batteries have never been completely drained, so that would suggest weeks.

I also have fitted a power switch as Mike (T6 CFO) has done. I can switch off the cameras when I want, which is usually when we are on a site living in it.

Alan

If it helps, my 750 2CH LTE is powered solely by the starter battery (and power magic pro to cut it off at 11 volts) and I can get a few days off that alone. If you had a whole leisure battery to play with then I’d have though weeks if not months.

(Next job for me is solar to charge the starter battery btw which will stop the dashcam cutting out after a few days in parking mode on the drive).

Or do I mean 11 amps. 11 units anyway, out of the 12 available.

Or do I mean 11 amps. 11 units anyway, out of the 12 available.
12volts.
Only problem is that the battery isn't fully charged up due to the 'Bluemotion' technology.
eg I have a USB power adapter with voltage display which comes up with a low voltage warning when ignition turned on after sitting for a couple days, displays 11.8Volts.

It does mean that 24hour camera surveillance may switch off sooner than you may assume.

And I thought fitting a dash cam would be simple..!!