Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kenwood Dashcam wiring

Devaprem

Devaprem

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello. I have decided to have a Kenwood DRV-A601 front and KCA-R200 rear dashcam fitted by a VW dealer nearby. This is because vehicle is still under warranty and they would warranty their installation too. They have quoted a very good price. My question is about the wiring. The dashcam does not have a battery but a capacitor to maintain power on shutdown to avoid corrupting the file being recorded. In parking mode, it switches on for 30 secs if it detects movement and then switches off to save the vehicle battery unless further movement is detected. In initial discussions with them, they said that the front dashcam would be hard wired to a switched feed (the rear dashcam takes its power from the front one). I then pointed out that it would have to be a permanent feed because the Parking Mode would not work. I was advised that the hardwiring will go into a combust unit which lays dormant until there is any activity. When there is any movement the unit will wake up for the 30 seconds and then shut back down, meaning that the car battery will not go flat and is the same unit which runs the vehicle alarm system. So, apparently, the combust unit is triggered by motion. Does anyone know any more about what a combust unit is and does anyone have any suggestions about whether it should simply wired to a permanent live or to this combust unit?

Hi, sorry can't help with your question but I was just going to have the same dashcam fitted on my 2020 T6.1 Ocean but local dealer is hopeless. Would you mind advising which dealer you will be using and, if you don't mind, the price ? I want the rear dashcam to be able to be on permanently whilst driving so I can use it as the 'rear mirror'. However, no one seems to be able to confirm whether this is possible - not sure if you know ? Thanks.

I had the front only fitted by VW and it seems to be wired to a feed which is only live when the engine is running. It even turns off when the auto stop start cuts the engine. It beeps when it turn back on. It’s annoying. It may be wrong but it is what VW have done.

This kit is required, according to Kenwood, to be a permanent supply to enable the parking mode.
There is also support facility to ask Kenwood directly as to fitting requirements.

I had the front only fitted by VW and it seems to be wired to a feed which is only live when the engine is running. It even turns off when the auto stop start cuts the engine. It beeps when it turn back on. It’s annoying. It may be wrong but it is what VW have done.
Interestingly it appears that kenwood know of this issue.

read through this item details, you may be able to have a kit upgrade.

My Blackvue dashcams are always on - Normal mode and Parking mode. My installer fitted a Power Magic Pro to protect the battery against being drained if the vehicle is left for an extended period.
I think you need to talk to your installer about getting it rewired. What if you are sat at a junction, your auto stop/start switches your car off, your dashcam switches off and you are then hit by another vehicle!!!!

My Blackvue dashcams are always on - Normal mode and Parking mode. My installer fitted a Power Magic Pro to protect the battery against being drained if the vehicle is left for an extended period.
I think you need to talk to your installer about getting it rewired. What if you are sat at a junction, your auto stop/start switches your car off, your dashcam switches off and you are then hit by another vehicle!!!!
I turn off the Auto stop start as part of the code to disarm my ghost immobiliser, so it only bothers me occasionally. I agree it is not a good feature in a dash cam installation.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. All interesting and helpful. To answer your questions, Rowls1958, I am using Vindis in Northampton. I have tested the rear and front dashcam already and the rear camera output is visible as an inset picture in the front camera main screen. Too small an image, I think, to be used as a rear view camera. I've found tilting the rear headrests down out of sight help the rear vision, if that's an option for you. BJG, thanks for the link to the hardwire kit. My apologies, I should have mentioned that I have this too. I have found out from Kenwood technical support that this has a low battery cutout and have asked at what voltage it does so. When they answer, I'll update this post. Another preventative measure the cameras has is the 30 secs cutout duration when motion switches the camera on. A general comment about the cameras

Just a point of fact, most garages will disable dash cameras when the vehicle is in their hands for servicing. Something to do with privacy regulations and data protection for their staff.

Just a point of fact, most garages will disable dash cameras when the vehicle is in their hands for servicing. Something to do with privacy regulations and data protection for their staff.
In my case it proved that they hadn't touched my Cali for 4 days despite calling to say that they had fault investigation issues.

Not a solution but came across this Supplier who have an answer to any requirements.
Saw a special offer on Campervan Dashcam/Tracker.

Back