Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cycle security?

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
About to order an Atera cycle rack for our Cali as I do a lot of cycle events.

Just curious what others do with cycle security with the Cali and bicycles when they aren't on the cycle rack. I.e overnight when touring.

I can probably put them back on the rack over night and secure everything with some extra locks.

Interested in others views and experiences

:thanks

If needed we padlock them to the rear tow eye, but to be honest i doubt if anyone would want to nick my bike!

Lots of locks :)

Overnight is not such a problem - on the rack with a lock and usually under a cover, pretty sure anyone attempting to remove the bikes will wake up Mrs "what was that noise", who will then wake up Mr "what noise?"...

Biggest worry for me is when parking anywhere when not using the bikes. Towns and car parks and the such. Here I suffer from paranoia...

We have a Fiamma rack. Usual security is 2 gold secure D locks from the frame of the first bike to the rack, one of which includes a cable down to the towing eye. Outer bike is locked with 2 D locks to the rack, plus a fat cable lock through all wheels and both frames. Then a Fiamma cover over them.

The weakest link is the rack, hence the cable down to the towing eye.

It's a pain to get off, takes about 10 minutes, but I'd hate for someone to steal my Soul*.

dan
*it's a bike. I'm not that worried about my immortal soul.

I have an Atera Strada tow bar mounted bike rack and have found using the locks on the bike rack and locked to my tow bar enough when parked overnight. Could always lock them together to make it even harder for someone to take.

Not on a Cali, but have taken bikes to Slovenia and often to Czech Republic and leave on the back of my Discovery without fear of them being taken as the Atera is very secure in my opinion.

cheers

I always have a view that if someone really wants to nick something they will find a way.

So I try and just use a lock as a deterant

I use the VW bike rack and lock the bike with the 3rd arm lock.
Then if we are stopping anywhere for a while I use a Canoe cable to put through all bikes and wheels. The cable then goes through the boot so all bikes are attached to the van even when not on the rack at a camp site.

Example below...

Rack Guard Security Cable
Insurance approved security cable for securing your canoe or kayak to the car. No lock required
Price £16.96 (RRP £19.95 - Saving £2.99)
http://www.cornwall-canoes.co.uk/equipm ... -racks.htm

Thanks for the replies, some good solutions there

During visit to Lake District I found a Lock which had been removed with the use of an angle grinder... High Close car park between Coniston and Hawkshead20160425_084040.jpg

We have the Altera and are happy with the lock on the bike attachements and the one for the tow ball.

I do tend to put a cable through the wheels when on the ferry, or in a car park as the wheels are quick release and would be easy to nick.

Replacing wheels with disc brakes can be expensive...

Depending on the campsite we normally just lock all the bikes together overnight, but in a dodgy area we will put the bikes back on the rack and lock the rack.

Lots of locks and different types. Then add a cover. Finally two dogs.

As above but no dogs but purchased utility tent to house the tow bar rack and bikes on site.

Mike

I don't bother covering the bikes up, as this would create to much drag when driving, but they are always locked up.
If I'm likely to have to leave the van for any length of time I'll use a couple of d locks and my chain and padlock. The chain is a good motorcycle approved one with a fabric cover, this will reach round 3 bikes comfortably. As it's high up it not easy for most to reach, though this I'll put on when stopping for a while.
All this is just a deterrent for your average grab and run, but seasoned thiefs will be tooled up for it.
By the way has anybody fitted a 29er, what's it like across the back?

I padlock/chain through frame and both wheels, (again with my motorcycle stuff) then run another through the rack it's self. If I was going to leave it somewhere during the day I'd drop the wheels out and put it inside. I have fully comp insurance on it but having to wait for 6 months for a new one to be built and come from Italy gives me sleepless nights :eek:

Use an Atera rack as well. Straps lock obviously, then I have a Abus long cable which goes through a small towing eye on the back RHS, through rack and over chain stay of closest bike. Other bikers are then locked to each other via rack, so basically everything is double locked. Like you its leaving it proved that worries me although my house insurance Hiscox insist they are covered to 6k each on the van if locked like this!