Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Damage to alloy wheel.

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have just discovered a deep score mark running part way around the inside face of one of the front 17" Thunder alloys on our nearly new Cali. Whilst I don't know for certain, I suspect that it has most likely been caused by a stone being caught in the very narrow clearance gap between the brake caliper and the wheel. I was extremely carefull removing the wheel without causing any marks in order to fit steel wheels with winter tyres. Also I doubt if they have been off before since it left the factory. Our Cali is a 180SE 4motion whith less than 2500 miles on the clock. Whilst it is not visible when the wheel is on the vehicle I am just wondering if this is a common occurrence and therefore how much more damage I can expect.
Has anyone else discovered similar damage? Also, as this shouldn't really happen, would this be a possible warrantee issue?

Answer : No- never had a problem in 20,000 miles.
You could bring it up with VW - but when they stop laughing I think they will still say No.

Best part of 50k on clock with no issue as you have, feel just bad luck a usage mark and as on inside of wheel would not worry me. As soon as we drive off the forcourt our vans are second hand.

I have just discovered a deep score mark running part way around the inside face of one of the front 17" Thunder alloys on our nearly new Cali. Whilst I don't know for certain, I suspect that it has most likely been caused by a stone being caught in the very narrow clearance gap between the brake caliper and the wheel. I was extremely carefull removing the wheel without causing any marks in order to fit steel wheels with winter tyres. Also I doubt if they have been off before since it left the factory. Our Cali is a 180SE 4motion whith less than 2500 miles on the clock. Whilst it is not visible when the wheel is on the vehicle I am just wondering if this is a common occurrence and therefore how much more damage I can expect.
Has anyone else discovered similar damage? Also, as this shouldn't really happen, would this be a possible warrantee issue?
I would suggest, however, if the mark is deep, and will not polish out, then it might be worthwhile to get one of the Alloy wheel Touch-Up paint kits on eBay to prevent corrosion in the future.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGE...720736?hash=item2a5bdb3ba0:g:BREAAOSwI-BWQ54r

I would suggest, however, if the mark is deep, and will not polish out, then it might be worthwhile to get one of the Alloy wheel Touch-Up paint kits on eBay to prevent corrosion in the future.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGE...720736?hash=item2a5bdb3ba0:g:BREAAOSwI-BWQ54r
Thanks WelshGas,
The gouge is wide, long and deep. It is the corrosion issue that concerns me the most and one of these kits might just do the trick.
I am sure that you are right about the likely dealer response to the warrantee question. Rhetorical question really. Never the less I am still tempted to raise it with them. It was a dealer demo vehicle before I picked it up and I haven't knowingly caused this damage. Given both your response and Meoncoast's I am now doubting the stone theory. Also they know that I am planning to replace it before the warrantee runs out in less than three years time. They might want to keep me sweet with that in mind. I have nothing to loose.

Had a similar thing happen on our 17" thunders, had to stop and reverse to dislodge the stone. Only minor marking to inside of wheel however.

One of the reasons i think steels are recomended rather than big alloys on a verhicle we frequent take on sometimes rough roads...
It still is a van not a racingcar

As for the damage , i think it is perfectly possible to repair damaged alu's .
Taking the tyre off , repair damage , repaint , tyre back on
But as it is on the inside i would check on tyre damage and if not just leave it that way....

As far as I'm concerned ally wheels are consumables. They're just too fragile to be precious about.

@Borris, sounds like you've just been unlucky. You'll just have to take it on the chin and either bodge it yourself, or if it was me, take it to an alloy wheel refurbisher to sort out.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

When I fitted my winters recently I noticed one front wheel had this score, assumed as others have it was a stone in the small gap between the caliper and the rim.

Last edited:
When you say deep, how deep?
Presumably this is on the inside of the wheel spokes so if it is really deep I would be a bit concerned about it affecting the load capacity of the wheel. Sometimes a gouge like that on wheel could start a stress crack in the alloy which wouldn't be good news.

When you say deep, how deep?
Presumably this is on the inside of the wheel spokes so if it is really deep I would be a bit concerned about it affecting the load capacity of the wheel. Sometimes a gouge like that on wheel could start a stress crack in the alloy which wouldn't be good news.
Probably 1 to 1.5mm in depth and about 5 to 6mm wide, running two thirds of the way around the inner surface of the wheel behind the spokes. I will get the dealer to take a look at it when I next visit them. There is no hurry as its wearing steel wheels and winter tyres at present.

Probably 1 to 1.5mm in depth and about 5 to 6mm wide, running two thirds of the way around the inner surface of the wheel behind the spokes. I will get the dealer to take a look at it when I next visit them. There is no hurry as its wearing steel wheels and winter tyres at present.
Mine is similar, not quite so deep, during the winter I am going to dress out (smooth) the score and re laquer to avoid corrosion. I suspect any dealer would recommend a new wheel as the no risk option.