Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Damage to undertray on VW Ocean

D

Dave Penman

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi,

I've had a Cali Ocean for 18 months, and in that time the undertray below the passenger seat (on the underside of the vehicle, just behind the left front wheel) has been damaged twice. First time I found the front part folded back and down, so had it replaced. The screws holding the front end of the replacement one came loose (missing), and since they were replaced they have come loose again and the undertray is now cracked. I have an appointment for another replacement undertray in a couple of weeks. No problems with the undertray at the other (driver's) side. The VW dealer had no ideas about the source of the problem, other than a vague suggestion that I was maybe going through roadside puddles too fast - seems unlikely!

Has anyone had a similar problem, or suggestions for what the problems might be?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

I've had a Cali Ocean for 18 months, and in that time the undertray below the passenger seat (on the underside of the vehicle, just behind the left front wheel) has been damaged twice. First time I found the front part folded back and down, so had it replaced. The screws holding the front end of the replacement one came loose (missing), and since they were replaced they have come loose again and the undertray is now cracked. I have an appointment for another replacement undertray in a couple of weeks. No problems with the undertray at the other (driver's) side. The VW dealer had no ideas about the source of the problem, other than a vague suggestion that I was maybe going through roadside puddles too fast - seems unlikely!

Has anyone had a similar problem, or suggestions for what the problems might be?

Thanks,

Dave
I have exactly the same problem.

The front most panel on the nearside. The one that tucks beneath the front wheel arch panel.

Like yours, it gets folded down and scrapes along the road.

It has happened twice, and both times after going through heavy rain puddle.

There is definitely a weakness here.

I have it on my list to look at this week.

Hi,

Thanks,

Dave
Has been reported elsewhere. More common on the Nearside, roadside puddles.

Hi,

Thanks,

Dave
You’re not the Dave Pennan that lived in Stoke Mandeville, Bucks about 20 years ago are you?

You’re not the Dave Pennan that lived in Stoke Mandeville, Bucks about 20 years ago are you?
Hi,

Not me - Penman, not Pennan!

Thanks for the replies on the undertray - could this be considered to be a design fault (my first van, never had a car do that over many years and several cars!)?

Hi,

Not me - Penman, not Pennan!

Thanks for the replies on the undertray - could this be considered to be a design fault (my first van, never had a car do that over many years and several cars!)?
Unless the undertray has changed from the T5.1 to the T6, it certainly is not a design fault as mine is still on there, even after driving through pouring rain.
Is it still in full hard plastic? If so, I doubt they changed anything about it.

Hi,

Thanks,

Dave
Any photos.of the damaged part and of where it attaches to the van (the screw holes?

Hi,

Thanks,

Dave
I had the same thing caused by slushy snow but mine was the offside. Definite weakness in a seemingly tin foil Strength under tray.

On mine, this bit of plastic is secured with screws at the lower edge, but there is no fixing above this. Yet there is a hole in the wheel arch liner that seems to coincide.

I am thinking that a screw needs to be fitted here both sides to help prevent the force of water (from driving through a deep puddle) freeing up this plastic guard.

This is my plan during the coming weekend.

Had the same on mine. I wondered initially if it was because I had night heater retrofitted and undertray had been removed and not replace correctly.
Vw Coventry rep explained damage may have been because of driving through puddles. I hadn’t had vehicle for long (purchased used privately) so couldn’t tell if damage had already been there before heater fitting or not, and I never noticed it when I purchased the vehicle, so accepted the damage and cost around £110 ish for VW to replace.

Should of kept the old one for sledging......

As @WelshGas says a common problem, more so I believe on lowered vans when deep water is hit, not seen any mention if front mudflaps were fitted or not - could be a link if non fitted.

I've not had any problems and we certainly get a lot of deep puddles around here. Non lowered, factory fitted mud flaps T5. 1

Been under mine this week, aluminium shield folded back on the near side centre almost touching the prop shaft for the rear wheel drive, offside plastic cover for the cabin heater has large cracks in it, only explanation I have is I hit a flood earlier this year quiet hard, anyone got a part number for the plastic cover please. Thanks.

Been under mine this week, aluminium shield folded back on the near side centre almost touching the prop shaft for the rear wheel drive, offside plastic cover for the cabin heater has large cracks in it, only explanation I have is I hit a flood earlier this year quiet hard, anyone got a part number for the plastic cover please. Thanks.
Saw many cases of this last year during heavy rain. Caution needs to be taken if big puddles or 'rivers' running on road.

Back