Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Damaged tailgate

Hotel du van

Hotel du van

VIP Member
I’ve just taken off my bike rack as I noticed rust underneath it. Can anyone recommend a body shop, preferably near Chichester that would be able to repair and repaint it?

IMG_5511.jpeg

IMG_5512.jpeg

IMG_5513.jpeg

Doesn’t look too bad. A mobile repair company might be able to do it for you?

IMG_1956.png

What bike rack did you have fitted? Looks like it has rubbed the paint off…was it one of the Fiamma ones with the foam pads across the bottom.

I would also suggest fitting helicopter tape on the contact points once you've got the paintwork repaired then check on it perhaps 6monthly and replace if it starts to move too much.

One mobile company quoted £350 from looking at the photos. I also took the van into another company and they said the whole tailgate would need re-painting! I’m still waiting to receive their quote.

Most prefer to spray the whole thing as they will worry that you will see a change in colour where new /old paint blend - depending on age of van as colour changes over time as exposed to the elements.

But if you always have a rack on the back, probably no need to get the whole tailgate done.

Most prefer to spray the whole thing as they will worry that you will see a change in colour where new /old paint blend - depending on age of van as colour changes over time as exposed to the elements.

But if you always have a rack on the back, probably no need to get the whole tailgate done.
I probably won’t put my bike rack back on I might buy a different one in the future. So I’ll chase the other company for their quote. My van is 11 years old (I’ve had it since new).

Have you tried using T Cut or polish on the marks? It looks like just staining where the foam / rubber pads have been and rust residue that may have leaked from the rack itself. It doesnt look like any rust is coming through the paint as the paint would be bubbled / flaking. Although hard to tell properly from the pics.
You will probably get the majority of that out with a good T cut / compound and polish afterwards. There will be detailing companies etc that can machine polish it for you if need be.

Definately worth a try before the expense of re-spraying.

Have you tried using T Cut or polish on the marks? It looks like just staining where the foam / rubber pads have been and rust residue that may have leaked from the rack itself. It doesnt look like any rust is coming through the paint as the paint would be bubbled / flaking. Although hard to tell properly from the pics.
You will probably get the majority of that out with a good T cut / compound and polish afterwards. There will be detailing companies etc that can machine polish it for you if need be.

Hopefully it’s not too bad so I might give T cut ago and see how it looks.

I would agree, does look like superficial transfer. Try Goo Gone to remover the rubber residue and then have at it with an orbital buffer and increasing polishing compounds. Not much too lose and could save you a lot of hassle and mismatched paint. Older paint finishes are notoriously difficult to blend to the point they are unnoticeable.

I've used helicopter tape on my metalwork but still the light brown colour has leached out of the rubber pads onto the helibtape.

It may well T Cut out. Not sure what you'll be quoted for a full respray but I've had success with the chips away type repair...

I've used helicopter tape on my metalwork but still the light brown colour has leached out of the rubber pads onto the helibtape.

It may well T Cut out. Not sure what you'll be quoted for a full respray but I've had success with the chips away type repair...
I’ve just received the quote for full tailgate respray - £1,313.68 So I won’t be having that done!

Back