Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DASHBOARD LIGHTS

N

neilneilneilneil

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi,
Can anybody help identify this problem?

Today, driving through a tunnel, the back-lighting of the speedo and rev counter gradually faded out, so all I saw was the red dials - the middle bit of the dash was OK though.

Driving through a wooded area which was quite dark, the fading happened again.

Haven’t driven at night yet but expecting the same. Also noticed the GPS didn’t go into night mode in the tunnel.

I’ve a 2022 Ocean with the ‘Discover Media’ pack.

I guess it’s a trip to the dealers but wondering if anyone’s experienced similar and if there’s a quick fix.

Many thanks
Neil

IMG_2799.jpeg

From the T6.1 manual:

Instrument and switch lighting
The brightness of the instrument and switch lighting can be adjusted in the vehicle settings in the Infotainment system Vehicle settings menu.

The brightness setting is automatically adjusted to the changing light conditions in the vehicle.

When the light switch is in [Auto] position , a sensor will switch the dipped beam and the lighting in the instruments and switches on and off automatically depending on the ambient brightness level.

When the lights are switched off and the ignition switched on, the instrument and switch lighting (needles and scales) is switched on. As the ambient light becomes lower, the lighting of these scales is automatically reduced and may be switched off entirely. This function is intended to remind the driver to switch on the dipped beam in good time, i.e. when driving through tunnels.

Edit: clarify 'the manual'

Last edited:
From the manual

Instrument and switch lighting
The brightness of the instrument and switch lighting can be adjusted in the vehicle settings in the Infotainment system Vehicle settings menu.

The brightness setting is automatically adjusted to the changing light conditions in the vehicle.

When the light switch is in [Auto] position , a sensor will switch the dipped beam and the lighting in the instruments and switches on and off automatically depending on the ambient brightness level.

When the lights are switched off and the ignition switched on, the instrument and switch lighting (needles and scales) is switched on. As the ambient light becomes lower, the lighting of these scales is automatically reduced and may be switched off entirely. This function is intended to remind the driver to switch on the dipped beam in good time, i.e. when driving through tunnels.
Oh… I think I’ve been driving in tunnels with the lights off (no-one flashed me). They’re normally on auto but I remember switching them off yesterday for a spot of ‘stealth-camping’. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction

Oh… I think I’ve been driving in tunnels with the lights off (no-one flashed me). They’re normally on auto but I remember switching them off yesterday for a spot of ‘stealth-camping’. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction
You would have still been showing daylight running lights to the front, just no lights to the rear.

I think 90% of what you were trying to achieve by putting off the lights is achieved by selecting camping mode on the camping control panel. DRLs can be set to remain off with handbrake on in the BCM with one of the OBD tools.

I think 90% of what you were trying to achieve by putting off the lights is achieved by selecting camping mode on the camping control panel. DRLs can be set to remain off with handbrake on in the BCM with one of the OBD tools.
They will spend a long time looking for the camping mode on a T6 control panel

Doh! I see the profile now...

Double Doh! Good thing too since I quoted a 6.1 manual.
it was more of an attempt to stop the headlights coming on when I unlocked it, so I switched the headlight setting to ‘off’ instead of ‘auto’.

Haven’t tested the theory that it works yet, as currently having a beer atop a Norwegian hill.

it was more of an attempt to stop the headlights coming on when I unlocked it, so I switched the headlight setting to ‘off’ instead of ‘auto’.

Haven’t tested the theory that it works yet, as currently having a beer atop a Norwegian hill.

Typically the lights turning on are caused by the "Coming home" VW feature. Camping mode switches it off. The light switch doesn't.

Doh! I see the profile now...

Double Doh! Good thing too since I quoted a 6.1 manual.
And I've just re-read the original post rather than relying on their profile.....

I would also add in my defence that the picture shows the analogue dash, that combined with it being an ocean made me assume it was an earlier one. All T6.1 uk oceans have the digital dash.

For a T6.1 as yossarian states, camping mode is the answer.

I am supposed that the OP didn’t get a warning on the dash, my GC 600 and current T6.1 both come up with a message on the dash to say turn on lights if they are turned off & it’s dark enough for the sensor to think you need them on.

Last edited:
Back