Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dashboard lighting up like Christmas a few seconds.

J

Jadykaijai Tonner

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Hi everyone!
Hopefully this is a wee problem has has been intermittent lately.
When driving our T5 2008 California the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree and all dials drop, but worst of all was when my wife was driving herself in the dark and the lights went off. It was for only a few seconds but scary for anyone in the dark.
Engine runs fine and shows up no error codes when plugged in.
I think it has only being doing this when it's wet outside . I'll need to log down when it happens again.
So garage had a quick look but like everything else...if nothing happens when you want it to, what do you do.
They checked under the dashboard and battery connections, alternator etc. Nothing.
A loose wire maybe or water ingress?
Any ideas?
Joe

First thing to do is check the battery connections and ground strap. Make sure they are tight and there is no corrosion around the terminals.

OK so the garage checked the battery terminals. Did they check the grounding?

First thing to do is check the battery connections and ground strap. Make sure they are tight and there is no corrosion around the terminals.
My electrician pal checked this Corradobrit , not sure about ground strap!
Thanks

Hi everyone!
Hopefully this is a wee problem has has been intermittent lately.
When driving our T5 2008 California the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree and all dials drop, but worst of all was when my wife was driving herself in the dark and the lights went off. It was for only a few seconds but scary for anyone in the dark.
Engine runs fine and shows up no error codes when plugged in.
I think it has only being doing this when it's wet outside . I'll need to log down when it happens again.
So garage had a quick look but like everything else...if nothing happens when you want it to, what do you do.
They checked under the dashboard and battery connections, alternator etc. Nothing.
A loose wire maybe or water ingress?
Any ideas?
Joe
Did the engine faulted or stop? or was it just the lights?

As I said Welshgas engine runs fine no probs there friend.
So, driving along it seems as if the ignition is turned off and then back on. Headlights would go off and then back on with all the ignition lights that you normally get. The instruments would go off and then back on.
The fact that the engine continues running leads me to think Ignition Switch possibly or something to do with the Ignition On, possibly a relay.

I’m no Autoelectrician I’m afraid.

So, driving along it seems as if the ignition is turned off and then back on. Headlights would go off and then back on with all the ignition lights that you normally get. The instruments would go off and then back on.
The fact that the engine continues running leads me to think Ignition Switch possibly or something to do with the Ignition On, possibly a relay.

I’m no Autoelectrician I’m afraid.
Oooft, another thing to get stuck into lol.
Thanks for input!

Back