Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dashboard warning lights issue - Help!

Silver5urfer

Silver5urfer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Whilst driving back to Cornwall this evening I noticed that when I set the cruise control speed, the right indicator arrow light on the dash display came on, but only about half brightness. I am sure that has never happened before and is not normal.
I then put on the fog lights and the right seat belt warning light came on together with a small yellow lightbulb light on the dash in addition to the normal warning light for the fog light.
I hope I am not going to get electrical problems as I know they can be a nightmare to sort out.
It's a 2013 California beach 140 BMT, so still under warranty for 6 months.
Any advice?

Try to repeat the faults again on another journey, and if the same occurs, ring the dealer and get it sorted under warranty. It maybe useful to film what you see on the dashboard and take it with you so the dealer can see the fault(s).

Whilst driving back to Cornwall this evening I noticed that when I set the cruise control speed, the right indicator arrow light on the dash display came on, but only about half brightness. I am sure that has never happened before and is not normal.
I then put on the fog lights and the right seat belt warning light came on together with a small yellow lightbulb light on the dash in addition to the normal warning light for the fog light.
I hope I am not going to get electrical problems as I know they can be a nightmare to sort out.
It's a 2013 California beach 140 BMT, so still under warranty for 6 months.
Any advice?
Hi Silver5urfer, even if you can't recreate the fault, I would definitely tell the dealer and let them have a look as intermittent faults are a pain in the bum to find. If they don't find anything wrong this time the fault is logged on their system and you can refer to its first occurrence within the warranty period if it stays dormant until you are out of the warranty period. I always think it's best to have a trail of the faults you experience ie email to the dealer informing them, as it gives you a better chance of getting it sorted. Just my opinion of course.
Hope you get it sorted as painless as possible!

Last edited:
I had simular issue when "rats" decided to chew at some wiring under bonnet

Hi Silver5urfer, even if you can't recreate the fault, I would definitely tell the dealer and let them have a look as intermittent faults are a pain in the bum to find. If they don't find anything wrong this time the fault is logged on their system and you can refer to its first occurrence within the warranty period if it stays dormant until you are out of the warranty period. I always think it's best to have a trail of the faults you experience ie email to the dealer informing them, as it give me you a better chance of getting it sorted. Just my opinion of course.
Hope you get it sorted as painless as possible!
And make sure it is LOGGED on the system for future reference.

Thanks for the advice guys, I go for a quick drive and test it tonight, and film it if it happens again.
I will also try to get out to the dealer to have it logged, just a pain with work etc.
Thanks again

Thanks for the advice guys, I go for a quick drive and test it tonight, and film it if it happens again.
I will also try to get out to the dealer to have it logged, just a pain with work etc.
Thanks again
:) Let us know how you get on!

Went to VW dealer today, Carrs near Newquay, Cornwall, very helpful, they suspect it needs a new instrument panel but want to take it in for full diagnosis first. I think they want to plug it into a computer.
I'll keep you guys updated.

Went to VW dealer today, Carrs near Newquay, Cornwall, very helpful, they suspect it needs a new instrument panel but want to take it in for full diagnosis first. I think they want to plug it into a computer.
I'll keep you guys updated.
Cheers for the update Silver5urfer and glad to hear you are experiencing good service. Fingers still crossed its a quick and easy fix!

The saga continues, took my California in for computer diagnosis and come up with electrical faults, so now booked in for 2 days investigation.
I hope it doesn't turn into an on going electrical problem!

As long as the fault is logged on the VW system whilst within the Warranty period, then VW should fix it , even if they cannot diagnose the problem within the Warranty.

I've got the same fault on my 2013 SE 180 4motion when using cruise control. I also get a similar fault when the screenwash low level warning light is on, the seat belt warning light glows dimly. I'll book mine in as it's only got two months warranty left.

I've got the same fault on my 2013 SE 180 4motion when using cruise control. I also get a similar fault when the screenwash low level warning light is on, the seat belt warning light glows dimly. I'll book mine in as it's only got two months warranty left.
Make sure they log it on the system.:thumb

California booked into dealer for 2 days, after investigation new dash instrument panel fitted.
All good so far, no random warning lights. Fingers crossed that's an end to it. Would have been really upset if that had happened after warranty runs out in October.
Can't fault VW Carrs near Newquay. Good service, polite and efficient.

Had the dash insert replaced on mine too under warranty. All working fine now.

Back