Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cutting out !

D

davecavell

Our 2013 T5 140 bhp California has been playing up.
The symptoms are
Running fine then seems to cut out the heater coil yellow light was flashing and then the engine yellow light came on. After pulling over and Re starting the van the engine kept running then cutting out after making a strange noise.
Eventually the engine kept running and driving fine, but with the engine warning light (yellow) saying on. After about one hour (on our way to Keswick) we pulled over and after 20 mins re started the van. No problems and it’s running as normal with no warning lights. It did this about a month ago incidentally going to the Lakes.
Any ideas from the great membership out there ???
Cheers
Dave

Very difficult to say my guess would be egr valve but the only real way is to wait until the light comes on and then get the code read using a vag com or something similar
if the light is not on it wont show up as a fault . good luck

The symptoms are
Running fine then seems to cut out the heater coil yellow light was flashing and then the engine yellow light came on. After pulling over and Re starting the van the engine kept running then cutting out after making a strange noise.
Eventually the engine kept running and driving fine, but with the engine warning light (yellow) saying on. After about one hour (on our way to Keswick) we pulled over and after 20 mins re started the van. No problems and it’s running as normal with no warning lights. It did this about a month ago incidentally going to the Lakes.
Cheers
Dave
You could purchase a Carista OBD dongle From Amazon and using the app on your phone or iPad read any codes that have been logged in the vehicle computer. Take a note of the codes and then clear them . You can look up the codes, if any, on the internet to get an idea of what happened and then recheck if you get future problems.

Very difficult to say my guess would be egr valve but the only real way is to wait until the light comes on and then get the code read using a vag com or something similar
if the light is not on it wont show up as a fault . good luck
There will be an event log in the ECU. When I had replaced my EGR valve in France, the lights went out, but about 2 weeks later the faults were still in the ECU.
The light comes on when the problem is present, the light goes out when the ECU doesn't detect the problem anymore, but the fault is not likely to be wiped. So you can read out the faults and see what has happened. You don't need to wait to get the fault occuring.
You will even read out when the fault was detected the first time, at what hour, date, circumstances (but then probably only in ODIS or higher end OBD scanners.

Some logs don't get saved as when i took my van to vw the light was not on and no fault found i had to wait until it came on again so they could read it it was an oil warning light if i remember.

Thanks everyone for the info.
Really useful as always.
Knowledge is power !!
Lol
Cheers
Dave

Some logs don't get saved as when i took my van to vw the light was not on and no fault found i had to wait until it came on again so they could read it it was an oil warning light if i remember.
An oil warning light is totally different than the engine light or coil light. The oil warning light is likely to be actuated by a sensor. The engine light can have numerous causes, and will near to never be erased in the ECU, because then, the operation of the ECU will be affected.

Best way to know is to read out, whenever you can, to see what was happening. If there is no fault, you just have to drive till the light goes on again. If there is a fault stored, then you can see what will need to be done.

Hi all
Quick update.
Returned from the lakes and the van never missed a beat.
My local garage plugged in their diagnostic device and fault code
P0087 showed up.
This appears to be some form of low fuel pressure on the fuel rail..
I had a quick look on google and the symptoms seam to match my problem.
Has anyone else had this problem?
The van has just been serviced and the fuel filter is new.
Its possibly looking like a new fuel pump !!
Cheers
Dave

Could it have just been an air lock in the system after the filter had been replaced? May not be anything to worry about unless it continues...

edit - just noticed this has happened more than once.... If it had been air in the system, it should have been a momentary misfire.

Changed my fuel filter last week. Fairly simply to change but you do need to prime the system. I used the VCDS and it took about 45 seconds before a change in the "lift pump" tone. To be safe then sorry I ran it a few times more, then left it for 10minutes, and then again for luck!

The symptoms are
Cheers
Dave

My 199 dsg model continually cut out on journeys mainly motorways and fortunately hard shoulders it always happend downhill in d drive it’s a little frightening situation I asked vw they said no one’s ever complained of this it’s happend around 6 times and I seem to have it sorted the stop start seems to be the culprit just turned it off I’m now in st Ives coverd best part of 400 miles all ok no cut outs and having to stop on the hard shoulder to restart the engine !! Time will tell but it’s pretty frightening when it happens