Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dead batteries

Lights

Lights

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi all looking for some advice,due to the current situation our cali has not been used in 3 weeks and as a result i now have flat batteries all round.i managed to conect the external Hook up which seems to have charged the leisure battries. But main battery is showing no signs of life. ignition etc. But I'm not sure if the imobiliser has something to do with it?.sorry for the long post. (2011 California)

Perhaps you can you connect a trickle charger to your starter battery?

If you have a multimeter you could test to see if there was any charge coming to your starter battery.
If there is you could wait a bit longer or it may be a case of having to order a new battery.

Last edited:
you must have something draining them or they are knackered they shouldn't go flat in 3 weeks

Hi all looking for some advice,due to the current situation our cali has not been used in 3 weeks and as a result i now have flat batteries all round.i managed to conect the external Hook up which seems to have charged the leisure battries. But main battery is showing no signs of life. ignition etc. But I'm not sure if the imobiliser has something to do with it?.sorry for the long post. (2011 California)
How old is your vehicle? Your avatar information says T5 on Order.

Good to know thank you :)
If these are your original batteries then the likelihood is they might need replacing.
Good batteries should last a lot longer, unless something is draining them or they have failed.
I regularly leave mine for 5 weeks at Heathrow and it starts 1st time.

Mine is 2010. Leisure ones are still going strong, engine start was replaced a couple of years ago.

Thanks all for your help
I have a feeling this will cost me, once things get back to normal i will get them all checked out.
And make good with the neighbours after putting them through my imobiliser melt downo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Given the age of your van you will need to replace the engine battery.

Leave the leisure batteries for the time being as these can be charged easily on hook-up and changed later in the year.

Alan

Your van is a similar age to mine. My starter battery went flat on a couple of occasions and despite fully recharging after being hooked up to a charger for a few hours was soon dead again. A traditional lead acid starter battery has a limited lifespan, from memory something like 10,000 engine starts, which if you do the maths and assume say 3 starts a day, you get to this number after 9 or 10 years.
Replace starter battery with a new battery - your leisure batteries should be okay as they are designed for deep discharge cycles. Mine are still going strong.

I've just replaced my starter battery - £103 - after 10 years - not bad going really. And there's something reassuring about having a new battery - ready for the open road when the road opens up. Keep safe everyone.

Mine is starting to act up for a year or 2 now in winter.
The van is now on hookup for 4 weeks now, so it will be ok for another year I suppose, but after that, it will be time to change it I suppose.
We'll see. Maybe I plug in an AGM, but they cost more, and I don't have start/stop, so it's not needed.