Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How all batteries are conected together?

szczota81

szczota81

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi All

I have California Ocean from 2014 with two leisure batteries and one engine (of course). My question is related to the batteries connection. I will give my questions in points below:

1) Which battery is charged when the car is connected to the external electricity plug (hook up)? Two leisure batteries only or engine batteries as well?

2) Two leisure batteries and engine one are connected somehow? Or there are two separate electrical systems?

3) Camper control system is indicating voltage of leisure batteries only or engine as well?

4) Can I disconnect one (rear) leisure battery and have electricity still?

I can not understand all this electrical system jet.

1) currently under some debate but some only charge the leisure batteries and other charge all 3.
2) 2 separate systems that are brought together with a relay whilst the engine is running.
3) only leisure batteries
4) yes, BUT the positive cable will still be LIVE and must be insulated.

These are the short answers to address your direct questions and can be expanded on if necessary,

1) How can I check if engine battery is charging (when car in plug in)

2) clear

3) clear

4) it means, second leisure battery is to extend time just

Additional question

5) what is connected to the leisure electric system? Where webasto is connected

6) I would like to buy CTEK D250SA and I am not sure how to connect this with external electric plug

7) CTEK D250SA is for two batteries systems. Leisure two batteries are treated as one by CTEK. Am I right?

1) How can I check if engine battery is charging (when car in plug in)

2) clear

3) clear

4) it means, second leisure battery is to extend time just

Additional question

5) what is connected to the leisure electric system? Where webasto is connected

6) I would like to buy CTEK D250SA and I am not sure how to connect this with external electric plug

7) CTEK D250SA is for two batteries systems. Leisure two batteries are treated as one by CTEK. Am I right?
These might help you: the fuses are for the leisure battery circuits.
Camper_Electrics_Ocean.png T6_Ocean_Fuses.png

That will be really helpful. Thank you for excellent reply.

One more question. Is there any limitation regarding engine battery (except size)? Original is 72AH and I would like to place there 85AH. The leisure battery can be different AH than engine?

That will be really helpful. Thank you for excellent reply.

One more question. Is there any limitation regarding engine battery (except size)? Original is 72AH and I would like to place there 85AH. The leisure battery can be different AH than engine?
Different capacities yes, but 1. Must be of same type for charging profile and 2. If you change the engine battery is has to be coded into the battery monitor.

:) It means plug and play but if rear are AGM front has to be AGM as to give the same charging characteristic. Am I right?

OK I have to check what is under front seat. Car is equiped with standard 61Ah engine battery and in rear compartment I have 72Ah AGM battery. But I have no idea what is under front seat.
But VW equiped this car with mixed battery type by defoult.

hi, very useful!!
In my multivan I've one service battery coming from the beginning (11 years old) and now need to be replaced, the battery is a classic Pb
I was thinking to install an AGM battery for camper/boat use 100 A
I do not understand if it's possibile 2 different kind of batteries (engine and service) or the question was only for california that has 3 batteries

the old original battery varta marked vag and the small housing !!!

photo_2022-02-02 22.46.22.jpeg

photo_2022-02-02 22.45.57.jpeg