Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dead motor battery

J

James Gill

Gilly
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Motor battery flat in VW California. Can I charge a little so it starts from the electric hook up? In future, how can I ensure things are running of the leisure battery which I am told I have 2 of! But no good if the things used the motor battery instead.
Your advice appreciated :) james

If you leave anything plugged into the 12v outlet by the gear lever it will slowly drain the starter battery.
You can rig a small 20w solar panel and leave that plugged into that socket to keep the starter battery topped up.
If you are on hookup it will keep the starter battery charged, but I guess you didn't on this occasion. It won't start from the hookup, but you could plug it in for a few days and see if it will take a charge.

If you leave anything plugged into the 12v outlet by the gear lever it will slowly drain the starter battery.
You can rig a small 20w solar panel and leave that plugged into that socket to keep the starter battery topped up.
If you are on hookup it will keep the starter battery charged, but I guess you didn't on this occasion. It won't start from the hookup, but you could plug it in for a few days and see if it will take a charge.
Thx Loz. Can I now charge the starter battery using hook up? Or do I have to jump start? Thx!

Motor battery flat in VW California. Can I charge a little so it starts from the electric hook up? In future, how can I ensure things are running of the leisure battery which I am told I have 2 of! But no good if the things used the motor battery instead.

Yes, just charge for a short while from the hookup, bump start or ask if anyone around you if they have some jump leads.

We carry a boost pack just in case we (or anyone else) should get caught out:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N4P8529/?tag=eliteelect-21

Last edited:
Which vehicle do you have and how old?

Procedure for jump starting.

6e87f255f973e8faedbab32bb0635600.jpg
869955393916a9387e5d7f967fc15c35.jpg

Mike

Just bought this for jump starting, used today on our little car.
IMG-20200706-WA0000.jpg
Good enough to start the van if needed and comes in a nice case too. Handy thing to have.