Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Decals on VW Cali

DavidH

DavidH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi

I wondered if anyone had any experience regarding putting decals on a California?

I wanted to personalise my Ocean - I am a bit nervous about doing anything to it that might make cheapen it (in every sense)...but have seen some decals on the Beatniks website that I think would look great on the rear quarter glass on my Cali.

I am concerned though that if they were ever removed they might damage the tint on the glass - I feel they shouldn't as I think the factory tint is different than after market tinting but I might be wrong.

Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding whether putting decals on the tinted glass would cause any issues (on removal mainly).

thanks

David

Reactions: AJQ
I’ve used Beatniks twice now, firstly on my last Ocean and now on my Coast. I asked ‘the sign people’ in Hereford to remove and fit the decals, which they did with no issues at all. Easy, no damage or marks on removal. The snap shows the new decal on my Coast.
A36C9497-1607-4B37-8636-9412B4815137.jpeg

We Also used beatnik to add some large hibiscus flowers on the rear windows. Very good service and got them quickly. Put them on ourselves very carefully with attached instructions. It’s on the outside snd we have factory tints. I’m more worried about pressure washers but have only cleaned the van ourselves so far.
1657F3C5-8ED4-4821-8219-C6273684CB85.jpeg

Hi

I wondered if anyone had any experience regarding putting decals on a California?

I wanted to personalise my Ocean - I am a bit nervous about doing anything to it that might make cheapen it (in every sense)...but have seen some decals on the Beatniks website that I think would look great on the rear quarter glass on my Cali.

I am concerned though that if they were ever removed they might damage the tint on the glass - I feel they shouldn't as I think the factory tint is different than after market tinting but I might be wrong.

Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding whether putting decals on the tinted glass would cause any issues (on removal mainly).

thanks

David
Used Beatniks a few times there stuff is quality, shouldn’t be any issues

We’re thinking of some subtle graphics for Elmo3. The dark grey can look a bit slab sided so want something to break it up a little. I’ve found place, who seem very good value for what I‘m looking at.

Hi

thanks

David
Thanks to everyone for the replies - I feel more confident now.

This is what I was thinking of putting on the van...

Unknown.png

We Also used beatnik to add some large hibiscus flowers on the rear windows. Very good service and got them quickly. Put them on ourselves very carefully with attached instructions. It’s on the outside snd we have factory tints. I’m more worried about pressure washers but have only cleaned the van ourselves so far.
View attachment 66293
really like this ones on your van

I’ve used Beatniks twice now, firstly on my last Ocean and now on my Coast. I asked ‘the sign people’ in Hereford to remove and fit the decals, which they did with no issues at all. Easy, no damage or marks on removal. The snap shows the new decal on my Coast.
View attachment 66291
they look great

Hi

thanks

David
If it is Factory Tint then it is coloured glass.
Aftermarket tint is a plastic film normally applied on the inside surface. The exception being the rear glass behind the California wardrobe which would require an exterior tint film applied, unless of course you wanted to remove the wardrobe.

If it is Factory Tint then it is coloured glass.
Aftermarket tint is a plastic film normally applied on the inside surface. The exception being the rear glass behind the California wardrobe which would require an exterior tint film applied, unless of course you wanted to remove the wardrobe.
Thanks - that sounds like a decal on the side where the wardrobe is might cause an issue when removed if it is an exterior film tint

Thanks - that sounds like a decal on the side where the wardrobe is might cause an issue when removed if it is an exterior film tint
It might, but I have no experience of this as I am more than happy with the Factory tint. Don’t want to be confused with the Local Funeral Parlours Transporter that has Limo tint all round to hide what’s inside.

It might, but I have no experience of this as I am more than happy with the Factory tint. Don’t want to be confused with the Local Funeral Parlours Transporter that has Limo tint all round to hide what’s inside.
I think that there might be a misunderstanding as I am talking about putting decals on the windows not tinting them but thanks for the reply

I think that there might be a misunderstanding as I am talking about putting decals on the windows not tinting them but thanks for the reply
That's my point Factory Privacy Tinted glass is coloured glass, so no problems with putting Decals or badges directly on the Glass. Likewise with tinted glass as the Tint film is applied on the inside surface. The only window it might cause a problem on is the Rear N/S as if this has an aftermarket tint the film would have to be applied externally.

Thanks ...I probably should have been clearer that mine is a factory built VW California so has factory tinted glass.

We’re thinking of some subtle graphics for Elmo3. The dark grey can look a bit slab sided so want something to break it up a little. I’ve found place, who seem very good value for what I‘m looking at.

https://shop.zengraphics.co.uk/vw-t5-t6
That shop has some nice options. Has anyone fitted anything subtle like these? We have quite a dark van and I'm trying to work out how they'd look / what colour would be best.
101560515_2608416249422777_1391639549309878272_o.jpg

That shop has some nice options. Has anyone fitted anything subtle like these? We have quite a dark van and I'm trying to work out how they'd look / what colour would be best.
View attachment 66369
That’s basically what we want to put on Elmo3, but with the text ‘BEACH’, which I think they will do. Would go for matt black on a dark van, looks nice. Cost is half that of Beatnik.

I saw a red cali with a nice hill walking graphic down the side. Cant find a pic now of it a where. Did anyone see that one?

View attachment 66291
My wheels :) you have Good taste

tempImage4UOabk.png

Look at de site:
Teepublic.com
Seitenstreifen.com
For Nice stickers

Hi

thanks

David

I have a plotter and have enjoyed making decals for my vans - they’re fun, you can change them when you tire of them, and yes, they can cheapen it but who cares. Unlike vinyl on the paintwork which certainly leaves a mark even when you think you’ve got away with it, it doesn’t have any adverse affect on the glass that I can see. Go crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can just about make out the 'frosted glass effect' VW decals on the back window, along with VW 'classico' red stripes just above the sills, designed to compliment the red of the rear lamps / reflectors.....

Ordered from Beatnik's although I didn't have the nerve to fit myself. Dropped them off (along with Bulli badges) to the dealer a week or so before scheduled delivery, as they were fitting springs, engine mapping unit & bike rack.....

IMG_6431.JPG