Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Decals - how creased is too creased?

Update - these were from the club shop, whose response was "don't worry, they're all like this from the supplier - fit them, and if they are creased then we'll send some more out". Sure enough, I applied them yesterday (badly, but that's purely my own fault!), and I can see no imperfections whatsoever in them. :thumb Much better quality than some cheaper ones I previously had from eBay.
I've got some to fit that did buy off eBay :Nailbiting. Could you post a picture please? I'm not sure how much should wrap around the door edge, or do you trim them of with a knife?

I would be very wary of trimming with a knife once installed. I had to do that with the b- pillars as I got it wrong, pulled off a bit and restuck but the sticker had stretched a bit. It is virtually impossible to cut the sticker with out also cutting the paint.
I winced with every cut and I just know that there are some horrible marks caused by the knife, even taking as much care as I could.
strongly recommend trimming before sticking. Also use enough masking tape to keep it in position. It helps to pull the backing off in a totally vertical direction rather than off to one side - reduces the risk of the sticker wandering off to one side as you go.
I am kicking myself as i did that with some side stripes I did recently - one side the sticker drifted up and was too late to do anything about it (May order a replacement and do it again). The other side where I taped it more thoroughly and only pulled the backing paper off in a perfect horizontal direction went on perfectly.
Good luck!

I would be very wary of trimming with a knife once installed. I had to do that with the b- pillars as I got it wrong, pulled off a bit and restuck but the sticker had stretched a bit. It is virtually impossible to cut the sticker with out also cutting the paint.
I winced with every cut and I just know that there are some horrible marks caused by the knife, even taking as much care as I could.
strongly recommend trimming before sticking. Also use enough masking tape to keep it in position. It helps to pull the backing off in a totally vertical direction rather than off to one side - reduces the risk of the sticker wandering off to one side as you go.
I am kicking myself as i did that with some side stripes I did recently - one side the sticker drifted up and was too late to do anything about it (May order a replacement and do it again). The other side where I taped it more thoroughly and only pulled the backing paper off in a perfect horizontal direction went on perfectly.
Good luck!
We live and learn. I invariably find that anything done a second time is much quicker and easier than the first. Your advice will have helped others, including me.

Back