Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel Heater Consumption?

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Does anyone know what the fuel consumption is for the disel heater, say on setting 2 for four hours. I have done a search on the forum but couldn't find anything.

I am thinking of ditching my Kampa fan heater (space saving etc) and switching to the diesel heater

I bet WelshGas knows.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Does anyone know what the fuel consumption is for the disel heater, say on setting 2 for four hours. I have done a search on the forum but couldn't find anything.

I am thinking of ditching my Kampa fan heater (space saving etc) and switching to the diesel heater

I bet WelshGas knows.

Reportedly about 0.3L/ hr on Full, more during startup phase.
I've run it for 5 days on level 2 to 4 and didn't notice any movement on fuel gauge. It is very frugal.

Reportedly about 0.3L/ hr on Full, more during startup phase.
I've run it for 5 days on level 2 to 4 and didn't notice any movement on fuel gauge. It is very frugal.
Excellent - thank you. I knew you would know.

If it’s just slowly ticking: 0.11 L/h. It can be tricky to keep it on this setting though.

I bet WelshGas knows.

The max burn rate should be on the data sticker on the drivers door B pillar.

I would be more concerned/interested in how much the fan on a diesel heater might drain the battery.

Or am I also worrying unnecessarily?

I would be more concerned/interested in how much the fan on a diesel heater might drain the battery.

Or am I also worrying unnecessarily?
The heater uses very little battery power when running at temperature, but uses a lot on startup, heating up the glow plug. To use it economically it is best to leave it running and adjusting the heating level up and down, rather than switching the heater off and restarting .
Leisure batteries voltage at 12.3v after 48hrs continuous use of Parking Heater, -7c outside, fridge, lights, wifi router, and charging iPad, phone .

Someone, I think @WelshGas, posted advice on the diesel/auxiliary heater best maintenance practice. I think this was to run the heater for a full hour at setting 10 once month all the year around - the aim being to burn off any residual carbonification. But I now cannot find that nor anything in the manual on this either.

Can anyone confirm the above or otherwise?

Someone, I think @WelshGas, posted advice on the diesel/auxiliary heater best maintenance practice. I think this was to run the heater for a full hour at setting 10 once month all the year around - the aim being to burn off any residual carbonification. But I now cannot find that nor anything in the manual on this either.

Can anyone confirm the above or otherwise?

Page 20.
Minimum of 20 minutes/ month.
Personally I run for an hour. I don’t bother during Autumn/Winter/Spring as I use the vehicle at least 4/5 times a week and like a warm vehicle so the heater is fired up frequently.93848A8A-7D17-44C6-B54A-AEA559017EDC.jpeg

Thanks @WelshGas. So no need to run at a higher temperature to decarbonise: more a case of regular exercise all the year round.
The Heater Combustion temperature doesn’t vary whether set on high or low, only the time of operation until the desired temperature is reached. If set to a low temperature compared to ambient temperature then the heater may switch off before it gets to full operating temperature, eg: Level 2 when ambient temperature is 20c., it may start ignition but switch off after a few minutes.

The Heater Combustion temperature doesn’t vary whether set on high or low, only the time of operation until the desired temperature is reached. If set to a low temperature compared to ambient temperature then the heater may switch off before it gets to full operating temperature, eg: Level 2 when ambient temperature is 20c., it may start ignition but switch off after a few minutes.
Thanks @WelshGas, that makes perfect sense. So in the warmer months it will likely be necessary to set the auxiliary heater to a high setting to ‘exercise’ it.

Back