Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel heating as well as gas HEATING - is it possible in Grand California???

S

stationmaster

"Water auxiliary heater - with programmable parking heater and remote control" at £1206.00​

Choosing this option looks like it will retain the gas/hot water heating and also give you a diesel heater (similar to the smaller California models) - this diesel heater also has the same control methods - control panel and remote key fob - which is good?

Result is that you have gas heating AND diesel heating (but only gas heating to the shower).

May i ask Grand California owners to advise me if this sounds like a sensible/good idea?

I am deciding which options to choose on my new Grand California order!

"Water auxiliary heater - with programmable parking heater and remote control" at £1206.00​

Choosing this option looks like it will retain the gas/hot water heating and also give you a diesel heater (similar to the smaller California models) - this diesel heater also has the same control methods - control panel and remote key fob - which is good?

Result is that you have gas heating AND diesel heating (but only gas heating to the shower).

May i ask Grand California owners to advise me if this sounds like a sensible/good idea?

I am deciding which options to choose on my new Grand California order!

The auxiliary heater you refer to only provides warm aor out of the dashboard/windscreen vents. It cannot be controlled to a temperature, can only be on or off. It will also only stay on for a set amount of time, there is no control over this.
Don’t think it will heat the entire van in place of the main heating, it’s not for that. It pre-warms the engine.

It is not programmable

Thanks. So it is similar to the heater in the smaller California, but has less functionality. Do you have this option on your van? If you do, is it useful? Does it warm the van/defrost the van if you turn it on remotely say 15mins before you arrive at the van to use it?

Thanks. So it is similar to the heater in the smaller California, but has less functionality. Do you have this option on your van? If you do, is it useful? Does it warm the van/defrost the van if you turn it on remotely say 15mins before you arrive at the van to use it?
...the heading for the option states it to be programmable. Perhaps this is an error?

Yes I have this option. I’ve used it a few time, quick warm up of the cab before setting off. Yes it will defrost the screen. You can also turn it on the via the VW app.
I personally would recommend the main Truma heater to be diesel/electric too.

Yes it is incorrect, it is in no way programmable.
You can set timers for it to activate. I guess that's what's meant by programmable.

Do you have the PR number of the version that you are referring to? There are a number of different options available.
The descriptions below come from the 2022 PR book.

CODE: 637UA | PR-Nr. 7VF | Cab interior MY2022 Programmable air parking heater, with radio remote control and additional auxiliary heat.

DESCRIPTION
The fuel-powered independent air heater can be operated and programmed via an auxiliary control unit in the roof module and a remote control. The heating power is 3.5 kW, which can be used as an auxiliary or independent heating function. The max. heating duration is 48 hours. The floor vent provides heated air in the centre between the front seats. The independent air heater is supplemented by a fuel-powered auxiliary heater (5 kW). The auxiliary heater is activated/deactivated using the touch-sensitive display of the radio or navigation system (Media Van Advanced/Media Van Navigation). The range of the radio remote control is several hundred metres for a full battery. Obstacles between the radio remote control and the vehicle, poor weather conditions and a depleting battery reduce the range considerably in some cases. The distance between the radio remote control and the vehicle must be at least 2 metres. The optimum range is achieved when the radio remote control is held with the antenna (1) pointing straight up. The check lamp (2) gives the user various information when a button is pressed: - If the check lamp flashes green irregularly for around 4 seconds, the independent heating is blocked. The fuel tank is almost empty, the voltage of the vehicle battery is too low or there is a fault. This can be rectified by refuelling and driving for long enough to charge the vehicle battery. - If the check lamp flashes red or green regularly for around 4 seconds, the signal has not been received. This can be rectified by reducing the distance from the vehicle. - If the battery in the radio remote control is low, the check lamp lights up orange for around 2 seconds and then lights up (switch-on or switch-off signal received) or flashes (switch-on or switch-off signal not received) red or green. The battery should be replaced as the range may be reduced.
Customer benefit.
The fuel-powered independent air heater ensures that the vehicle is heated when stationary with the engine switched off and also provides a ventilation function. The independent air heater can thus also be used to heat the interior more quickly and to maintain the temperatures. Ideal for vehicles that are stationary for long periods (for example construction site vehicles). The remote control makes operation more convenient. The independent air heater can also be used to heat the cargo compartment of a box-type van when the cab is separate. The fuel-powered auxiliary heater (5 kW) is only switched on during engine operation to support the standard heater.

-----------------------------------------
CODE: 637UB | PR-Nr. 7VL | Cab interior MY2022 Water heater with programmable parking heater function and radio remote control.

DESCRIPTION
The additional water heater with 5 kW heating capacity has an auxiliary heating and auxiliary heating function that can be programmed and controlled via a radio remote control. The control panel for auxiliary heaters and heat exchangers is located at the top in the middle of the roof gallery. Range: a few hundred meters if the radio remote control with antenna is held vertically upwards (can be significantly reduced by obstacles between the radio remote control and the vehicle, bad weather conditions and a weak button cell) Back information from the indicator light: - If the green flashes irregularly for 4 seconds, the auxiliary heater is blocked. The cause for this can either be an empty fuel tank, insufficient voltage in the vehicle battery or an existing fault. This can be remedied by refueling and driving long enough to charge the vehicle battery. - Red or green flashing steadily for 4 seconds, the signal was not received. This can be remedied by reducing the distance to the vehicle. - Orange light for 2 seconds: weak button cell. Then it lights up (switch-on or switch-off signal received) or flashes (switch-on or switch-off signal not received) red or green. In this case the button cell should be replaced as the range can be reduced.
Customer benefit.
The auxiliary water heater supports the on-board heater so that higher temperatures in the interior can be reached more quickly and these can be maintained. Using a programmable independent heater function, the auxiliary water heater heats the vehicle before the start of a trip (for example to defrost the windows) and when it is stationary.

---------------------------------------
CODE: 637UC | PR-Nr. 7VM | Cab interior MY2022 Programmable air parking heater with radio remote control.

DESCRIPTION
The fuel-operated air heater can be operated and programmed via an additional control unit in the control panel and a remote control. The heating power is 3.5 kW and the max. Heating time 48 hours. The floor vent provides heated air in the middle between the front seats. The control panel for the auxiliary heater is located in the middle of the roof gallery. Range: a few hundred meters if the radio remote control with antenna is held vertically upwards (can be significantly reduced by obstacles between the radio remote control and the vehicle, bad weather conditions and a weak button cell) Back information from the indicator light: - If the green flashes irregularly for 4 seconds, the auxiliary heater is blocked. The cause for this can either be an empty fuel tank, insufficient voltage in the vehicle battery or an existing fault. This can be remedied by refueling and driving long enough to charge the vehicle battery. - Red or green flashing steadily for 4 seconds, the signal was not received. This can be remedied by reducing the distance to the vehicle. - Orange light for 2 seconds: weak button cell. Then it lights up (switch-on or switch-off signal received) or flashes (switch-on or switch-off signal not received) red or green. In this case the button cell should be replaced as the range can be reduced.
Customer benefit.
The fuel-powered independent air heater ensures that the vehicle is heated when stationary with the engine switched off and also provides a ventilation function. It can also be used to heat the interior more quickly and to maintain the temperatures. Ideal for vehicles that are stationary for long periods, for example construction site vehicles.

------------------------------------------------
CODE: 637UE | PR-Nr. 9M4 | Cab interior MY2022 Programmable air parking heater and water heater with radio remote control.

DESCRIPTION
The fuel-powered independent air heater can be operated and programmed via an auxiliary control unit in the roof module. The heating power is 3.5 kW, which can be used as an independent heating function. The max. heating duration is 48 hours. The floor vent provides heated air in the centre between the front seats. The independent air heater is supplemented with a fuel-powered auxiliary water heater (5 kW) which functions as auxiliary heating and independent heating and can be operated and programmed via a radio remote control. The range of the radio remote control is several hundred metres for a full battery. Obstacles between the radio remote control and the vehicle, poor weather conditions and a depleting battery reduce the range considerably in some cases. The distance between the radio remote control and the vehicle must be at least 2 metres. The optimum range is achieved when the radio remote control is held with the antenna (1) pointing straight up. The check lamp (2) provides the user with various feedback information when a button is pressed. - If the check lamp flashes green irregularly for around 4 seconds, the independent heating is blocked. The fuel tank is almost empty, the voltage of the vehicle battery is too low or there is a fault. This can be rectified by refuelling and driving for long enough to charge the vehicle battery. - If the check lamp flashes red or green regularly for around 4 seconds, the signal has not been received. This can be rectified by reducing the distance from the vehicle. - If the battery in the radio remote control is low, the check lamp lights up orange for around 2 seconds and then lights up (switch-on or - switch-off signal received) or flashes (switch-on or switch-off signal not received) red or green. The battery should be replaced as the range may be reduced.
Customer benefit.
The independent air heater ensures that the vehicle is heated when stationary with the engine switched off and also provides a ventilation function. It can also be used to heat the interior more quickly and to maintain the temperatures. Ideal for vehicles that are stationary for long periods, for example construction site vehicles. The auxiliary water heater acts as an auxiliary heater and, using the programmable independent heater function, heats the vehicle before the start of a trip (for example to defrost the windows) and when it is stationary. The independent heating functions of the independent air heater and the auxiliary water heater are separate from each other. This means that in vehicles with a closed partition wall there are separately programmable independent heaters for the cab and cargo compartment.

-------------------------------------------------------
CODE: 637UF | PR-Nr. 9M5 | Cab interior MY2022 Auxiliary heater

DESCRIPTION
An auxiliary water heater is installed that is powered by diesel fuel and functions as an auxiliary heater with a heating power of 5 kW. The fuel-powered auxiliary heater is only switched on during engine operation to support the standard heater.
Customer benefit.
The auxiliary water heater supports the on-board heater so that higher temperatures in the interior can be reached more quickly and these can be maintained at a constant level. At the same time, the operating temperature of the coolant is reached more quickly, which protects the engine. The cab and the cargo compartment/passenger area can be heated with or without a partition wall.

Don’t know if the top of my head the code, but there is only 1 option available on the GC which is different to the crafter. The option in the GC is basic @rod_vw with little control. The max heat duration for example is about an hour an 20mins for example.

Hello and thanks!

I was referring to the 7VL heater - which (from the info. rod_vw has contributed) is a 5kw heater, which is a lot of heat! That is like having my wood burner installed in a 6m x 2m van (which heats our 4m x 10m living room - drafty old house).

However, Mr T points out it has little control - so i may have to option the other heater as well...

The info. rod-vw contributed supports that it is intended as an additional heater: 'The auxiliary water heater supports the on-board heater so that higher temperatures in the interior can be reached more quickly and these can be maintained. Using a programmable independent heater function, the auxiliary water heater heats the vehicle before the start of a trip (for example to defrost the windows) and when it is stationary.'

Hello and thanks!

I was referring to the 7VL heater - which (from the info. rod_vw has contributed) is a 5kw heater, which is a lot of heat! That is like having my wood burner installed in a 6m x 2m van (which heats our 4m x 10m living room - drafty old house).

However, Mr T points out it has little control - so i may have to option the other heater as well...

The info. rod-vw contributed supports that it is intended as an additional heater: 'The auxiliary water heater supports the on-board heater so that higher temperatures in the interior can be reached more quickly and these can be maintained. Using a programmable independent heater function, the auxiliary water heater heats the vehicle before the start of a trip (for example to defrost the windows) and when it is stationary.'
My opinion is that 7VL is hardly worth spending money on for use in the UK, in countries where engine and cab pre-heating was more useful it may be worth it.
If I had the choice I would be wanting 7VM although that doesn't seem to be as versatile as the Eberspacher D2 Airtronic that I have in my T6 powered from the leisure battery circuit. This can be left on for extended periods (many days) under the control of its thermostat just like a domestic heating system.
I may well fit either an Eberspacher D2 Airtronic or larger output one to the TGE that I am having converted. Source would probably be Butler Technik. All the fitting parts are available from VW or MAN to make it look OEM although not cheap! The controller location would be the only non OEM looking item if installed carefully.

My opinion is that 7VL is hardly worth spending money on for use in the UK, in countries where engine and cab pre-heating was more useful it may be worth it.
If I had the choice I would be wanting 7VM although that doesn't seem to be as versatile as the Eberspacher D2 Airtronic that I have in my T6 powered from the leisure battery circuit. This can be left on for extended periods (many days) under the control of its thermostat just like a domestic heating system.
I may well fit either an Eberspacher D2 Airtronic or larger output one to the TGE that I am having converted. Source would probably be Butler Technik. All the fitting parts are available from VW or MAN to make it look OEM although not cheap! The controller location would be the only non OEM looking item if installed carefully.
Thanks, you are obviously a little further on researching this than i am...
I have a T6.1, and prior to this i had T2 (no heating) then T5, T6 - key fob and control panel controlled diesel heater(s) - all these heaters i only ever used/use occasionally and on setting one or two.
However, i did not even try the key fob control, but just recently i have realised the key fob control is kind of handy. I'm not keen on messing around with control panels and the simple on or off suits my non tech inclined brain.
I had thought that the 7VL for the grand was in essence the same as the heaters i have been/are using on the transporter based vans? I have a Eberspacher D2 Airtronic - is that correct? Or do i have two heaters? I think i do :)

Thanks, you are obviously a little further on researching this than i am...
I have a T6.1, and prior to this i had T2 (no heating) then T5, T6 - key fob and control panel controlled diesel heater(s) - all these heaters i only ever used/use occasionally and on setting one or two.
However, i did not even try the key fob control, but just recently i have realised the key fob control is kind of handy. I'm not keen on messing around with control panels and the simple on or off suits my non tech inclined brain.
I had thought that the 7VL for the grand was in essence the same as the heaters i have been/are using on the transporter based vans? I have a Eberspacher D2 Airtronic - is that correct? Or do i have two heaters? I think i do :)
I've read that description of the 7VL a number of times and still cannot be sure if it has a water heater AND a blown air one. A dealer should be able to confirm but that depends on the knowledge of your dealer. If VW cannot answer the question with certainty maybe a word with a member of the MAN sales team can. If you take that course simply ask about the PR number specification and don't mention California as that will throw them completely.

Yes I suspect that you have a D2 Airtronic in the T6, how it functions depends on which controller is fitted and if it is one that is capable of using the external thermostat depends on if that is connected. The kits that I have purchased in the past have not had the wire installed in the main loom to enable the external 'stat but I have installed that wire into the loom myself before installation.
Without the external 'stat connected the heater shuts down to a very slow tick-over and samples the cabin air via the heating air ducting for its control.
With the external 'stat connected to the controller (mine is an 801) the heater shuts down completely when the desired temp is achieved and powers back up on demand from the 'stat.
No configuration changes are necessary except for connecting the extra wire as per the wiring diagrams to enable the external 'stat.

I've read that description of the 7VL a number of times and still cannot be sure if it has a water heater AND a blown air one. A dealer should be able to confirm but that depends on the knowledge of your dealer. If VW cannot answer the question with certainty maybe a word with a member of the MAN sales team can. If you take that course simply ask about the PR number specification and don't mention California as that will throw them completely.

Yes I suspect that you have a D2 Airtronic in the T6, how it functions depends on which controller is fitted and if it is one that is capable of using the external thermostat depends on if that is connected. The kits that I have purchased in the past have not had the wire installed in the main loom to enable the external 'stat but I have installed that wire into the loom myself before installation.
Without the external 'stat connected the heater shuts down to a very slow tick-over and samples the cabin air via the heating air ducting for its control.
With the external 'stat connected to the controller (mine is an 801) the heater shuts down completely when the desired temp is achieved and powers back up on demand from the 'stat.
No configuration changes are necessary except for connecting the extra wire as per the wiring diagrams to enable the external 'stat.
An external stat sounds like a good idea, it certainly is good in domestic systems.

An external stat sounds like a good idea, it certainly is good in domestic systems.
This is how mine looks, the external 'stat is integral with the controller, presumably under the little vented dome.
The air circulation mode is nice on hot days in Europe as the outlet can be rotated to blow as desired, see lower picture.

1698927894479.png

1698928027204.png

For anyone interested here is a link to full details

This is how mine looks, the external 'stat is integral with the controller, presumably under the little vented dome.
The air circulation mode is nice on hot days in Europe as the outlet can be rotated to blow as desired, see lower picture.

View attachment 115991

View attachment 115992

All looks very neat. The heater in my 6.1 california has the circulation mode, bot actually used it, but i can see that it would be handy on a warm day while you're lazing around in the van, or maybe at night while sleeping?

View attachment 115991

View attachment 115992

Very nice van :) And for sale too?

Very nice van :) And for sale too?
Being replaced by a LWB High Roof MAN TGE 3.180 Auto built to our specification. I'm sure that the spec will not be correct as I know that it has taken me five vehicles T4-T6 size to get what we wanted. Unfortunately I am also aware that I don't have enough years left to do the same again with this size of vehicle!

CODE: 637UA | PR-Nr. 7VF | Cab interior MY2022 Programmable air parking heater, with radio remote control and additional auxiliary heat.

DESCRIPTION
The fuel-powered independent air heater can be operated and programmed via an auxiliary control unit in the roof module and a remote control. The heating power is 3.5 kW, which can be used as an auxiliary or independent heating function. The max. heating duration is 48 hours. The floor vent provides heated air in the centre between the front seats. The independent air heater is supplemented by a fuel-powered auxiliary heater (5 kW). The auxiliary heater is activated/deactivated using the touch-sensitive display of the radio or navigation system (Media Van Advanced/Media Van Navigation). The range of the radio remote control is several hundred metres for a full battery. Obstacles between the radio remote control and the vehicle, poor weather conditions and a depleting battery reduce the range considerably in some cases. The distance between the radio remote control and the vehicle must be at least 2 metres. The optimum range is achieved when the radio remote control is held with the antenna (1) pointing straight up. The check lamp (2) gives the user various information when a button is pressed: - If the check lamp flashes green irregularly for around 4 seconds, the independent heating is blocked. The fuel tank is almost empty, the voltage of the vehicle battery is too low or there is a fault. This can be rectified by refuelling and driving for long enough to charge the vehicle battery. - If the check lamp flashes red or green regularly for around 4 seconds, the signal has not been received. This can be rectified by reducing the distance from the vehicle. - If the battery in the radio remote control is low, the check lamp lights up orange for around 2 seconds and then lights up (switch-on or switch-off signal received) or flashes (switch-on or switch-off signal not received) red or green. The battery should be replaced as the range may be reduced.
Customer benefit.
The fuel-powered independent air heater ensures that the vehicle is heated when stationary with the engine switched off and also provides a ventilation function. The independent air heater can thus also be used to heat the interior more quickly and to maintain the temperatures. Ideal for vehicles that are stationary for long periods (for example construction site vehicles). The remote control makes operation more convenient. The independent air heater can also be used to heat the cargo compartment of a box-type van when the cab is separate. The fuel-powered auxiliary heater (5 kW) is only switched on during engine operation to support the standard heater.

------------------------------------------------
CODE: 637UE | PR-Nr. 9M4 | Cab interior MY2022 Programmable air parking heater and water heater with radio remote control.

DESCRIPTION
The fuel-powered independent air heater can be operated and programmed via an auxiliary control unit in the roof module. The heating power is 3.5 kW, which can be used as an independent heating function. The max. heating duration is 48 hours. The floor vent provides heated air in the centre between the front seats. The independent air heater is supplemented with a fuel-powered auxiliary water heater (5 kW) which functions as auxiliary heating and independent heating and can be operated and programmed via a radio remote control. The range of the radio remote control is several hundred metres for a full battery. Obstacles between the radio remote control and the vehicle, poor weather conditions and a depleting battery reduce the range considerably in some cases. The distance between the radio remote control and the vehicle must be at least 2 metres. The optimum range is achieved when the radio remote control is held with the antenna (1) pointing straight up. The check lamp (2) provides the user with various feedback information when a button is pressed. - If the check lamp flashes green irregularly for around 4 seconds, the independent heating is blocked. The fuel tank is almost empty, the voltage of the vehicle battery is too low or there is a fault. This can be rectified by refuelling and driving for long enough to charge the vehicle battery. - If the check lamp flashes red or green regularly for around 4 seconds, the signal has not been received. This can be rectified by reducing the distance from the vehicle. - If the battery in the radio remote control is low, the check lamp lights up orange for around 2 seconds and then lights up (switch-on or - switch-off signal received) or flashes (switch-on or switch-off signal not received) red or green. The battery should be replaced as the range may be reduced.
Customer benefit.
The independent air heater ensures that the vehicle is heated when stationary with the engine switched off and also provides a ventilation function. It can also be used to heat the interior more quickly and to maintain the temperatures. Ideal for vehicles that are stationary for long periods, for example construction site vehicles. The auxiliary water heater acts as an auxiliary heater and, using the programmable independent heater function, heats the vehicle before the start of a trip (for example to defrost the windows) and when it is stationary. The independent heating functions of the independent air heater and the auxiliary water heater are separate from each other. This means that in vehicles with a closed partition wall there are separately programmable independent heaters for the cab and cargo compartment.

Are 9M4 and 7VF identical or am I missing something here?

The only option I have at the moment is 7VL + YHC as a combination . . .

Is that basically the same as 9M4 or 7VF? Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

Similar i think - 9M4 is 3.5kw and the 7VF is 5kw

I think my options are between

7VL+YHC

Or

9M4 (new since config came back)

Those are the only current UK options, does anyone know the difference between those two as the descriptions for all of them are pretty vague and confusing and I want to get my order into the factory whilst I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back