Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC Heating Options.....

Simon1

Simon1

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Can someone explain the different heating options that are available on the GC680. As I understand it the standard equipment is gas only with no electric, and choosing the option Electric aux heater will give me both gas and electric heating? Then there is an option for Water heater with radio remote control, is this just adding the capability of a remote control the the same system?

The standard van is gas and electric
Or you can choose diesel heating then the gas is just for the cooker

The standard van is gas and electric
Or you can choose diesel heating then the gas is just for the cooker
That's interesting, Do you know what the Electric Auxiliary Heater is?

Nope sorry just the inside heating is either gas/electric or diesel/electric

That's interesting, Do you know what the Electric Auxiliary Heater is?
HI SIMON,

I Do not think that there is a Electric auxiliary heater just warm air from the Truma gas fired combi boiler ie hot water and air Supplied on the standard package.

Is it the one that warms the engine coolant like tbe one as an option on T6?

HI SIMON,

I Do not think that there is a Electric auxiliary heater just warm air from the Truma gas fired combi boiler ie hot water and air Supplied on the standard package.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, are you saying you can't plug yours in at a campsite and get electric heating?

Is anybody able to clarify this on the options list:

YHC - Heating system for water and interior powered by mains electricity or diesel. Changes standard system to run on diesel instead of gas. (Only in combination with 7VL or 9M5)

7VL- Auxiliary heater – with programmable parking heater and remote control.

9M5 - Additional engine heater. Rapid warming of vehicle on start up

I understand that option YHC changes it to the diesel heater and then you only need gas for cooking but what is not clear to me is the 7VL & 9M5 variants.

Can anybody explain it please?

Is anybody able to clarify this on the options list:

YHC - Heating system for water and interior powered by mains electricity or diesel. Changes standard system to run on diesel instead of gas. (Only in combination with 7VL or 9M5)

7VL- Auxiliary heater – with programmable parking heater and remote control.

9M5 - Additional engine heater. Rapid warming of vehicle on start up

I understand that option YHC changes it to the diesel heater and then you only need gas for cooking but what is not clear to me is the 7VL & 9M5 variants.

Can anybody explain it please?
9M5 is I presume the equivalent of the Webasto Coolant Heater as found on the Transporter/California..
7VL the Remote Control for the Parking Heater which would include the Fob and Remote Control Receiver Unit.

Note the diesel heater needs a higher power demand if off grid than the gas as there is a glow plug. I stuck with the standard gas setup, van not arrived yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9M5 is I presume the equivalent of the Webasto Coolant Heater as found on the Transporter/California..
7VL the Remote Control for the Parking Heater which would include the Fob and Remote Control Receiver Unit.
The thing is you can't specify all 3. 9M5 and 7VL are mutually exclusive.

Hi Simon, I will repeat what I been told when asked the same question to the dealer:

- All Grand Calis come standard with gas/electric mix heaters you can use only gas only electric 6Amps/10Amps or both mixed

- If you choose Diesel as I did you will need the auxiliary heater which is the coolant heater as specified bellow:

9M5 Diesel fuelled coolant heater (active during engine operation to support standard heater)

I did choose this one but now I do regret to not choose the one with the remote, if you choose the remote one you will have a nice screen control over the cab side by the sos button and the key fob button to turn on before you go to the vehicle for the max time of 120 minutes you can even program using this over cab control for a certain time

So the difference between both auxiliary heater options would be the ability to program, the over cab screen with buttons and the remote control

I did choose Diesel because it is more practical in my case which is to have the more autonomy as possible, so I can have only one gas bootle and just fill the regular diesel thank anywhere, the tank of gas can go out really fast and it also contribute to more humidity inside and sometimes even windows can get fogged which doesn’t happens with the diesel counterpart, I hope it helps!

Hi Simon, I will repeat what I been told when asked the same question to the dealer:

- All Grand Calis come standard with gas/electric mix heaters you can use only gas only electric 6Amps/10Amps or both mixed

- If you choose Diesel as I did you will need the auxiliary heater which is the coolant heater as specified bellow:

9M5 Diesel fuelled coolant heater (active during engine operation to support standard heater)

I did choose this one but now I do regret to not choose the one with the remote, if you choose the remote one you will have a nice screen control over the cab side by the sos button and the key fob button to turn on before you go to the vehicle for the max time of 120 minutes you can even program using this over cab control for a certain time

So the difference between both auxiliary heater options would be the ability to program, the over cab screen with buttons and the remote control

I did choose Diesel because it is more practical in my case which is to have the more autonomy as possible, so I can have only one gas bootle and just fill the regular diesel thank anywhere, the tank of gas can go out really fast and it also contribute to more humidity inside and sometimes even windows can get fogged which doesn’t happens with the diesel counterpart, I hope it helps!
Thank you for the excellent description. This explains the situation perfectly. I have learnt something new today!

Thank you for the excellent description. This explains the situation perfectly. I have learnt something new today!
Have you decided which you would have?
I chose gas over diesel(van ordered, not yet arrived). Hope I’ve made the right choice. Planning to get the refillable lpg bottles.

If you do use LPG it will void the Truma Combi boiler guarantee right the way and also the Dometic Kitchen, if you opt to do a hole with a refill cap outside the vehicle it will void the whole vehicle guarantee which now I believe is 5 years in Europe and 4 Years in the UK this is something to have in mind

Only if it can be shown that the modification caused the warranty issue, its never a ‘get out if jail free’ card but of course do talk to VW, Truma etc prior to works and record it.
Many motorhomes use LPG systems.

Only if it can be shown that the modification caused the warranty issue, its never a ‘get out if jail free’ card but of course do talk to VW, Truma etc prior to works and record it.
Many motorhomes use LPG systems.

Yes I agree! but if you have a problem down the road with those parts it will be tough to get the warranty, It is tough now without any modification, I just quit the idea to replace the house battery with lithium the dealer turn me off after so many consultations with the factory, got those Portable Solar Generators instead, the oem battery is kind of a bad joke honestly

If you do use LPG it will void the Truma Combi boiler guarantee right the way and also the Dometic Kitchen, if you opt to do a hole with a refill cap outside the vehicle it will void the whole vehicle guarantee which now I believe is 5 years in Europe and 4 Years in the UK this is something to have in mind
I Spoke directly with Truma UK about LPG they said no problem at all.

In my experience dealers always say no, I had the same when installing GasLow into a Transit.
Called Ford Technical and as long ad its a professional installation no problem

Note the diesel heater needs a higher power demand if off grid than the gas as there is a glow plug. I stuck with the standard gas setup, van not arrived yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes this! I also got this info from my dealer that the gas option uses MUCH less electricity from the 12V battery than the diesel. We choose the standard gas option. Recieved our car a few weeks ago.

That’s a great summary of the options for the heating system and the same as I have gone for, placing the order next week. One question I have, is whether or not the van can be used in really cold conditions for example on a ski trip? I noticed the hymer Grand Canyon has the option of an insulated waste tank, however not listed as an option on the GC, there is an expensive option for aux heater, timer, water circulation & parking heater combined is this classed as the winter pack?
thanks

That’s a great summary of the options for the heating system and the same as I have gone for, placing the order next week. One question I have, is whether or not the van can be used in really cold conditions for example on a ski trip? I noticed the hymer Grand Canyon has the option of an insulated waste tank, however not listed as an option on the GC, there is an expensive option for aux heater, timer, water circulation & parking heater combined is this classed as the winter pack?
thanks
I have read that most people who go to colder areas that do not have heated waste tanks just leave the waste tap open with a bucket under it and empty an ice block. also see link
Lilie Ultra Heat Tankheizung TH110 - Fritz Berger Campingbedarf

Convertors make a big thing about winterisation but not VW, strange considering tbe winter conditions in their main marketplace, year round use definitely a must,

Back