Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas water heater errors (E517H) when starting, even when gas is on.

Karen.greaves

Karen.greaves

Vehicle
Grand California 680
In the last week we've had issues starting out gas water heater. When we turn it on, it doesn't seem to light immediately and after a few minutes checking the control panel the gas is flashing and until under the seat gives E517H. The gas is definitely open and was opened before turning on the heating.

We need to clear the error before it will start heating up. Last night it took 3 tries before it actually worked. Not sure if this is related to cold weather, since this is the first time we've been in the van in single digit temps over night (still above freezing though), or if it's something that happens over time, and if we need to get the gas pipes checked? Anyone else experience this and have any ideas on a fix?

I seem to have the same problem all of a sudden. Our heating has worked without any problems the few times we have used it but now we have the same error message. We definitely have gas as we can light the cooker no problem. I have tried to turn it on multiple times but after a few seconds I can hear it clicks and turns off. Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue?

Back