Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Digital European Atlas for Tablet Computer

Viktorgeorge

Viktorgeorge

Starlight Blue Ocean 4Mo MY2023 older bellows
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
We travel around Europe a lot (in our retirement). SatNav is invaluable, we use mainly TomTom, which strips down detail to the essential and as a result is easy to use; but this creates a problem.

Pre SatNav (and in our younger days) we happily navigated with maps (with not too many arguments), which left the passenger/navigator free to also study the surrounding mapping as we drove, however, now that the passenger is no longer required to navigate (along with our older brains) maps are harder work keeping up.

So, to get to my point, has anyone worked out a combination of a tablet computer (with GPS) and a compatible offline comprehensively detailed atlas of Europe, which would show a passenger the location and allow him/her to study the surrounding mapping whilst travelling? Obviously, without any navigation facility required.

We travel around Europe a lot (in our retirement). SatNav is invaluable, we use mainly TomTom, which strips down detail to the essential and as a result is easy to use; but this creates a problem.

Pre SatNav (and in our younger days) we happily navigated with maps (with not too many arguments), which left the passenger/navigator free to also study the surrounding mapping as we drove, however, now that the passenger is no longer required to navigate (along with our older brains) maps are harder work keeping up.

So, to get to my point, has anyone worked out a combination of a tablet computer (with GPS) and a compatible offline comprehensively detailed atlas of Europe, which would show a passenger the location and allow him/her to study the surrounding mapping whilst travelling? Obviously, without any navigation facility required.
Two options that come to mind
- Google maps - allows offline maps. You can download as many regions as you want and that allows for offline browsing and navigation
- Maps.me. Download detailed maps of regions. Available for both IOS and Android.

However, also consider giving the passenger a copy of paper maps and that will keep them hunting and busy for longer

Enjoy!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

This uses OpenStreetMap.
Free to download, and frequent updates.

Navmii
But map updates take more than 1 year to appear, if they ever...
Also uses OpenStreetMap.

Have you discovered that the Free version of the OS map App also covers much of Europe although I don't know what downloadable options are available.

Its a great question. The normal maps apps are not an atlas in that sence, usually you hardly can tell which country you are in or what is close. They are great for finding stuff you alreay know you want to go to, but for inspiration they are mostly useless.
I use about ten different apps for mapping but I have failed to find one for this exact purpose.

small fee for each country but very detailed . I can recommend. regular updates.
Download for offline use before you leave.
Needs internet however for searches.

Back