Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Maps of France

Michelin is best in France. We have the laminated version, and plot routes using a sharpie, then put waypoints into the Tomtom until it takes us the way we want to go rather than vice versa. Also try MapyCZ on the batphone for local info, especially bike routes etc.

Not paper but if you want real detail then use GeoPortail France. Just Google it. This the French equivalent of our OS. Obviously in French but easy to navigate. There various options for different types of map. I use it for seeing restricted no fly areas for drones.

I love paper maps for the overview (and maps in general—mapmaking is an art) and prefer the Michelin design for readability (layout and use of colour)

But next to the map, I'm a heavy user of PocketEarth Pro. This is an iOS app that has very (very)detailed maps that can be downloaded for offline use. It can do proper turn-by-turn navigation, but it needs an internet connection. You can also do walking and hiking navigation and planning, which is very accurate.

The interface is something to get used to, but the app is very powerful.

I'm using an obsolete (SIMMless) iPhone 6 to track our travels. Speed, height, duration—everything is recorded and can be exported as GPX file.

IMG_0003.jpeg

Last edited:
We use the laminated Michelin Atlas, but find this useful for route planning, especially if you want to avoid the toll motorways and pick out the faster usually excellent main roads

Screenshot_20240607-081453.png

This is mine, still use it when traveling and not broken yet, but a lot has changed so I'd better buy a new one :D

449162724_481964344310930_1448561243936181526_n.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Sad
Have you had a chance to compare the two map books? Enough info and detail (scale is larger in the regular book) to keep both or is the Camping specific one pretty much all you need?
Hi yes i think we are going to stick with the camping specific one as it has loads of extra information as well all in French of course. I also found this and like the look of it.....as for Route planning I am going to use https://plan.tomtom.com/en/?p=52.519,-1.9094,6z and have planned the first part of our trip

Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 19.58.21.png

So we are at the point of no return, with a campsite by Dover booked the ferry to Calais is also booked ready for 3 weeks in France. Just making final decisions on how many pairs of underpants to take !!

So we are at the point of no return, with a campsite by Dover booked the ferry to Calais is also booked ready for 3 weeks in France. Just making final decisions on how many pairs of underpants to take !!
Not much. You can do laundry anywhere, there are launderettes, washing machines at supermarkets or if you want to go to a campsite: you can often do laundry there too. Or by hand. We bring 7 days' worth of underwear and wash them :cool:

Have fun!

Not much. You can do laundry anywhere, there are launderettes, washing machines at supermarkets or if you want to go to a campsite: you can often do laundry there too. Or by hand. We bring 7 days' worth of underwear and wash them :cool:

Have fun!
Great news as that was one of the numbers to decide on, I was thinking 1, 3 or 7 pairs

Back