Dinghy sailing

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
First of all apologies for posting in this category. I was looking for an appropriate sub section of the forum and was unable to find a good fit for the subject. This section is the closest fit I could find.

I am considering buying a sailing dinghy for family use: two adults and two children (currently age 5 and 7) and a dog. This would mainly be used for pottering around Chichester Harbour, sometimes out on an ebb tide and a longer sail to the Isle of Wight, returning on the flood tide.

It will be kept in a dinghy park during the summer, and in a garage in SE London over the winter. The mast will be kept separately, hung down the side of the house.

We already have the use of a 1969 vintage Mirror, but that is too small for the four of us.

The three dinghies I’m looking at are an Enterprise, GP14 and Wayfarer.

Any advice on the pros and cons of each of them as a family boat?

Learned to sail in a Wayfarer and always struck me as a great day boat. Have been thinking about the same recently. Also, like the Cali, they hold their value well and as they are a defined type there is lots of racing which might become more relevant as the children grow. Not as glamorous as some others but stable and relatively dry! Enough room for 4 and a generous lunch.
A variety of rigging options too.
Enterprise probably a bit small.
No experience of the GP14.

First of all apologies for posting in this category. I was looking for an appropriate sub section of the forum and was unable to find a good fit for the subject. This section is the closest fit I could find.

I am considering buying a sailing dinghy for family use: two adults and two children (currently age 5 and 7) and a dog. This would mainly be used for pottering around Chichester Harbour, sometimes out on an ebb tide and a longer sail to the Isle of Wight, returning on the flood tide.

It will be kept in a dinghy park during the summer, and in a garage in SE London over the winter. The mast will be kept separately, hung down the side of the house.

We already have the use of a 1969 vintage Mirror, but that is too small for the four of us.

I'd second the Wayfarer, I did my RYA 5 coastal in one. Large, roomy cockpit, stable, good pedigree.

Sailed an Enterprise a lot in my late teens. I agree it would be a bit small for 2+2 growing boys.

Relatively rare but maybe also look at a Laser 16 if one comes up, that would be a great coastal family boat for Chichester.

Won't be long until your boys want their own Toppers though. Whilst old school they are bomb proof, cheap and so easy to rig/ transport. We carry two on racks above a 6x4 box trailer. Room for three bikes, inflatable sups, general camping stuff and toppers above.

If anyone out there is interested in a Laser 2 and road trailer we will be moving it on soon.

Having a quick scan of my 1974 Dinghies Guide!
I reckon the Wayfarer looks good as an all rounder. Assume you are going for GRP rather than ply?

We already have access to a whole flotilla of dinghies: two different types of Laser, mirror, optimist and topper, belonging to various members of our family. But none have the family cruising appeal of a Wayfarer sized boat.

The GP 14 is about 30Kg lighter than the Wayfarer, and given what has been said about the size of the Enterprise it is likely to be a choice between the two larger boats.

Having a quick scan of my 1974 Dinghies Guide!
I reckon the Wayfarer looks good as an all rounder. Assume you are going for GRP rather than ply?

I like the look of a GRP hull and wooden decking.
fa0abcfb76931a714a9d56cbb135ca94.jpg

6b44a810dc9716c31635a474411afd3c.jpg

16f79b9fc8580f108114ae39f38a2309.jpg

The options list for a Wayfarer is even longer than for a California.

Wayfarer, it’s a stable & well found boat. You won’t regret it.

Ate you indicating they still make them....if so what price a well specced boat ?

Wayfarer, it’s a stable & well found boat. You won’t regret it.

Ate you indicating they still make them....if so what price a well specced boat ?

Wayfarer cruiser £10,000
Wayfarer racer £11,000

Both complete boats.

You could easily spend +£3,000 on options like trapeze (£190) or non-slip coloured floor coating (£170) or carbon tiller extension upgrade (£80), etc... etc... etc...

Last edited:
Amarillo this is a great thread but please kick me out and tell me to leave if this goes off topic. I don’t want to hijack.

I too have kids that age and have been thinking of getting a RIB to go around the Solent and trips to the isle of white. I was thinkinf if leaving it in dry stack around there (We live 90 mins away in Kent) and towing it to Devon/Cornwall/France for summer.
I don’t know much about the boat brands. Would you know any companies and models I should look at? I was thinking of something like the brigg eagle 6.7 or 8. Do you or any boat minded people have any impartial advice? I’m struggling to get objective views from sensible folk.
Cheers and all the best

Wayfarer without question the other two don't have the space and more importantly seaworthy ability that the Wayfarer has IMHP . Go for the mark 3 boats as they have a reorganised transom buoyancy tank which gives better space and you can use it for storage. A small long shaft outboard can be mounted as well. Go to the Wayfarer association web site for all info, we had years of messing around on Lake Windermere sailing out from Fellfoot Park from the South lakes SC in a Wayfarer.

Wayfarer cruiser £10,000
Wayfarer racer £11,000

Both complete boats.

You could easily spend +£3,000 on options like trapeze (£190) or non-slip coloured floor coating (£170) or carbon tiller extension upgrade (£80), etc... etc... etc...

Likely about 15K then for a Bells & Whistles , keeper to hand on to your Lads when their older ?

Would last them 30 years plus.

I have a 9ft NestaWay Clinker effect finish Dinghy that fits onto an adapted tow bar mounted carrier on my Cali. Used a few years in Portugal but now have it here in Wales for use in the summer months on Llangorse Lake.

Had a “try a sail” session in a Wayfarer once. It sank when it capsized and the rear bouyancy compartment lid was open. Was left with just the bow sticking up. Interesting job for the safety boat to recover.

Middle Son is a Dinghy Instructor and suggests the Wayfarer for a growing family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi
Great thread, I learned in a wayfarer at Calshot with sailing in the Solent and over to the Isle of Wight - fond memories. We had a Laser 16 late 90s, good comfortable but quite heavy as I recall.

Wayfarer is the classic though.

Good luck with the choice and keep us posted....

Ken

Amarillo this is a great thread but please kick me out and tell me to leave if this goes off topic. I don’t want to hijack.

I too have kids that age and have been thinking of getting a RIB to go around the Solent and trips to the isle of white. I was thinkinf if leaving it in dry stack around there
I'm no expert on powerboats but did a course with www.solentboattraining.co.uk who also rent out ribs in that area. May be worth asking them for their thoughts. Could be a good way to try before making your mind up.

Wayfarer cruiser £10,000
Wayfarer racer £11,000

Both complete boats.

The big question. Is there an optional chicken carrier?

I'm no expert on powerboats but did a course with www.solentboattraining.co.uk who also rent out ribs in that area. May be worth asking them for their thoughts. Could be a good way to try before making your mind up.
Agree, we did a pb2 powerboat course in Southampton on a 6-7m 250hp rib, really worth doing, now we can charter a rib if we want, think you will need the certificate for using a rib in France anyway. We used Ocean sports charter.

Hi
Great thread, I learned in a wayfarer at Calshot with sailing in the Solent and over to the Isle of Wight - fond memories. We had a Laser 16 late 90s, good comfortable but quite heavy as I recall.

Wayfarer is the classic though.

Good luck with the choice and keep us posted....

Ken
This is our boat, 150 quid, needs a few hours to make her look nice again,
It’s a Falmouth Bass, mine is the one on the right...

Attachments

• 0CDABC3E-88EC-41A7-B70B-7A9EF097A86C.png
    0CDABC3E-88EC-41A7-B70B-7A9EF097A86C.png
    826.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 6CE19BEF-B67E-4A00-B0E3-57AC71741939.jpeg
    6CE19BEF-B67E-4A00-B0E3-57AC71741939.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 27
I’m watching this thread with interest, Every year for as long as I can remember, I’ve intended to do dinghy sailing course, 2020 I actually had one booked.

This might just spur me on to get it done this year.

Family used to own a boatyard in Maldon & had a fleet of Thames barges - a proper sailing boat.. my great uncle was the designer of the Torch sailing dinghy - it was intended for & used extensively by schools & scouts & he wrote a number of books in the 1960s including Cassells young mariners guide.

Ocean Crossing Wayfarer: To Iceland and Norway in a 16ft Open Dinghy (Paperback)

Frank and Margret Dyer, travel in a wayfarer..

One question I'm struggling to answer myself is why the GP14's draft is listed as 120cm while the Wayfarer and Enterprise both have a draft of 20cm. Is it because the GP14 has a fixed rudder while the Wayfarer and Enterprise have lifting rudders?

I do like the idea of camping in a Wayfarer. Apparently there is room for two: a mat on the cockpit floor, cover over the boom and snuggle into a sleeping bag. Sausages on a Cadac, a campfire below the high water mark (so long as the tide isn't up) and the setup is complete.

However, the Wayfarer is a beast of a boat, and I'm not sure how easy it is to handle single handed. The GP14 is 36KG lighter, 50cm shorter and 10cm narrower.