Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Direct Line

jonesey

jonesey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,

I think this may have been mentioned before in this section but Direct Line insure Calis and have just given me a very reasonable quote - just thought I'd mention this for anyone who wants to insure in the future.

For comparison, VW insurance quoted me £1000, Direct Line £590.

If that seems high to anyone it's because I keep it on the street in Manchester :)

Are you in moss side?!
Seriously though good to know direct line can do the business I've tried them every year for my vehicles and they never get close for me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Be careful with Direct line. Ask them if they insure the inside of your van, ie cooker, fridge, units etc.

We came to renew with Comfort, told them we were considering Direct Line and they said " oh, they don't insure the interior". Thinking this may be a ploy to get us to stay with Comfort we spoke to Direct Line.

A very candid person at Direct Line confirmed this. Had the big debate that the California is not a conversion, that its factory made. Went through different scenarios including fire and if they would pay out.

The guy from Direct Line said "perhaps we are not the insurance company you are looking for".

Double check what they cover.

Be careful with Direct line. Ask them if they insure the inside of your van, ie cooker, fridge, units etc.

That was my immediate thoughts on reading this. eighteen months ago when I bought my cali I spoke to loads of insurance companies, like most of us, & am sure they said they would not pay to replace damaged cooker, fridge etc. Maybe they have changed since then.

So when you buy insurance from Direct LIne to cover your vehicle, it only covers part of your vehicle! Hmmm ... interesting, I wonder how many other insurers have this policy.

NickE said:
So when you buy insurance from Direct LIne to cover your vehicle, it only covers part of your vehicle! Hmmm ... interesting, I wonder how many other insurers have this policy.

Yes you insure your vehicle, they (direct line) used to (maybe different now) class cali as a T5 van, so did not cover 'camping gear cooker fridge etc.
Got a quote from NFU, who told me they insured horse boxes that had kitchens in them. I then explained that the Cali had kitchen etc fitted in factory. I decided against running the risk of finding out I was not covered for every thing.

I have dealt with enough insurance companies & claims (used to deal with insurance as part of my work) to know that they will wriggle out of responsibility at the slightest opportunity. So I ask a lot of questions to satisfy myself before paying.

I found that Camping & Carravanning Club seem to offer the best proper camper van insurance... Do give them a go.

MisterTea said:
I found that Camping & Carravanning Club seem to offer the best proper camper van insurance... Do give them a go.

I would second that. :thumb

Dibz said:
Duckling68 said:
MisterTea said:

I would second that. :thumb

Thirded, really great quote and good kit cover included

+1
I renewed with them this last year in order to keep my NCB.

Good advice all, thank you. I'll check the policy and get some other quotes.

An update...

I called Direct Line tonight and someone confirmed to me too that cover doesn't cover the interior of camper vans. Rubbish!

My quote from caravan and Camping Club (as a non-member at the mo) is £900. I'll give them a ring tomorrow but does anyone have an idea of what discount I'd get as a member?

jonesey said:
An update...

I called Direct Line tonight and someone confirmed to me too that cover doesn't cover the interior of camper vans. Rubbish!

My quote from caravan and Camping Club (as a non-member at the mo) is £900. I'll give them a ring tomorrow but does anyone have an idea of what discount I'd get as a member?

Hi Jonesey

I have just renewed at the weekend at a cost of £460 as a Caravan and Camping Club member with 8 years NCB.

We also went with the C&CC, I think we paid about £485 for our insurance in January even though Comfort Insurance quoted £280. It was a big difference but I wanted to keep my 9 years no claims and for some reason I thought the C&CC would be the best insurer.

I suppose you only know how good your insurer is until you need to make a claim, it's like a mine field out there!!!!!

Hi all

My final update (I hope!)

I finally went for the C&CC insurance. After an initial quote of £900, joining up and making use of a new member deal got the quote to £568! Undercutting Direct Line and offering better insurance (at least on paper).

Thanks all for the advice. :D

Glad you have got to the bottom of this & got 'full cover' sorted at an acceptable price.

Just at the point of renewing insurance, and currently use DirectLine.
Re
CannellWalker said:
I’m probably being thick but what’s the key concern here? Or rather what do others like C&CC cover that Direct Line is avoiding?

Normal car stuff i.e. 3rd party, Theft or writing off the whole van etc. must be the same on both. So is it that proper ‘camper insurance’ also covers accidental damage or theft of internal Cali units etc?

Also anyone know how the VW insurance cover compares?

Motor home insurance as it is known means that if you trash the left side of your van & damage kitchen it will be covered. Non motor home policy will cover cali as a van & in the above example will only pay to repair the van, not the kitchen.
Hope that clarifies things a tad. I have had lengthy discusions on the subject with several insurers & underwriters to clarify what i am getting covered.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone know what Admiral would cover as they list the California?

murray0710 said:
Anyone know what Admiral would cover as they list the California?

Ring them & ask. Probably just covered as a van.

Will do when renewal is due. Find it mad that they list the vehicle yet it's only the base vehicle that is insured.

Hi, I know insurance is a minefield. However we just insured ours for the second year with comfort for £313 with all of the necessary stuff covered. Very happy with that
Barry ,Bath

Try Frank Pickles Insurance Brokers Ltd who provide a policy from AVIVA. Our SE 130PS cost £322 for 2 drivers aged over 60 with unblemished record.

Hi, I have insured with SAFEGUARD for 5 years and pay about £400 per year including unlimited European breakdown cover provided by the AA. I live in Hall Green, Birmingham and have a CLIFFORD alarm in addition to the VW immobiliser. Their number is 0800 904 7996
May be worth a quote

Bernie