Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dirt lodged behind wheel arches

Thepiper

Thepiper

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I notice when cleaning my Cali that there is always some grit gets trapped between the wheel arch trim and the sill at the bottom of the door. I pull the trim back slightly to allow the grit to escape. This time I took a deeper look and in fact there is a huge amount of crud collecting in the sill behind the wheel arch (on both front sides). The trim is not a tight fit and it is obvious where it all gets in. I removed a fair amount but I suspect that a great deal is starting to work its way along the inside of the sill where there is nothing can be done to remove it. Anyone else as particular as me when cleaning it? I like a nice clean finish to the outside of the van, but the main reason I wash it is to get rid of the crap that can eventually cause corrosion which is why I pay attention to all the nooks and crannies that are exposed to the most water and dirt (i.e. around wheel arches and underneath the vehicle.

Could you wedge some black foam rubber sheet cut down to fit in the gap?
I think thee also needs to be space to let any water that may have entered to escape so I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not. Will post pictures soon to show what I mean.

I don't know if the T6 is the same but on my T5. With the bonnet open look down the gap below the hinge into the void above the plastic wheel arch. The crud that gets washed off the windscreen seems to collect there. There are drain holes but they are not big enough to cope with the size of debris.

Here is the gap (on both sides at the front) where the crap gets in ( and stays in).
20180425_102313549_iOS.jpg 20180425_102316124_iOS.jpg

Mine's the same.

I don't want to alarm you but check underneath to see that your van hasn't been jacked up incorrectly. If the vehicle jack wasn't located properly on the reinforced section when jacking up the vehicle then the jack could possibly deform the thin sheet steel next to the jacking point thereby pushing the plastic under wing shield forward.
Just a thought.

I don't want to alarm you but check underneath to see that your van hasn't been jacked up incorrectly. If the vehicle jack wasn't located properly on the reinforced section when jacking up the vehicle then the jack could possibly deform the thin sheet steel next to the jacking point thereby pushing the plastic under wing shield forward.
Just a thought.
:eek:. Will check in morning!

Hello Rik,
It's probably nothing and may just be the photographs playing tricks so I appologise if I have caused alarm. However, the first photo from the OP seems to indicate that the under wing mud shield isn't seated correctly. Why? The other two photos look fine and dandy to me. It may just be that the wing shield in the first photo hasn't been tightened fully. The bottom fixing screw is located in the indentation at the base of the shield, clearly visible in the photos 1 and 3.

I have seen this sort of issue before on other vehicles so now always check for it.

With the Cali the jacking arrangements aren't the best. You have to wind up the scissor jack whilst at the same time locating the top bracket so it craddles the reinforced section of the chassis. As with most cars you have to get down on your hands and knees to see that it's properly engaged. The jack can easily become dislodged during this process. Anyone doing this purely by feel runs the risk of raising this heavy vehicle on the thinner non load bearing metal and that will cause distortion. There are much better jacking systems on much cheaper cars.

Last edited:
The van has not been jacked up (unless VW Dealer does this when they did it first service but I don't think so as they use a lift to get underneath it.). There is no distortion and both sides look the same as per the photo from Billywizz. I guess this is how it is in all T6s. The space is not big, but enough to let all the crap sprayed up from the wheel to enter.

Hello Rik,
It's probably nothing and may just be the photographs playing tricks so I appologise if I have caused alarm. However, the first photo from the OP seems to indicate that the under wing mud shield isn't seated correctly. Why? The other two photos look fine and dandy to me. It may just be that the wing shield in the first photo hasn't been tightened fully. The bottom fixing screw is located in the indentation at the base of the shield, clearly visible in the photos 1 and 3.

I have seen this sort of issue before on other vehicles so now always check for it.

With the Cali the jacking arrangements aren't the best. You have to wind up the scissor jack whilst at the same time locating the top bracket so it craddles the reinforced section of the chassis. As with most cars you have to get down on your hands and knees to see that it's properly engaged. The jack can easily become dislodged during this process. Anyone doing this purely by feel runs the risk of raising this heavy vehicle on the thinner non load bearing metal and that will cause distortion. There are much better jacking systems on much cheaper cars.
Thanks Paul, no alarm here, just a thanks for flagging up the possibility. I have not looked in detail yet (it's tipping down!) but I am pretty confident that all is well. I certainly have not jacked up my Cali in the year I have had it since new.......so unless the dealer.......no they would use a proper hydraulic ramp wouldn't they? For both sides of the Cali to suffer in exactly the same way I am thinking that it is meant to be that way. I will have a closer look when I have finished my rain dance to get it to stop damn raining!!!:D (failing at the moment)

The van has not been jacked up (unless VW Dealer does this when they did it first service but I don't think so as they use a lift to get underneath it.). There is no distortion and both sides look the same as per the photo from Billywizz. I guess this is how it is in all T6s. The space is not big, but enough to let all the crap sprayed up from the wheel to enter.
That's good. Have you tried undoing the fixings, pulling the liner away and giving it a good jet wash behind? By refitting it yourself you may be able to get a better fit.

How does the screw fix behind the liner? I'm worried on taking out that I cant get it back in. It is a plug it goes into?

20180425_102313549_iOS.jpg

I've now looked at both front arches and have concluded that all is well. They are identical in terms of the fit/position and the little hole that is seen in the photos. What the little hole is for is the question. Next time I am in a dealer I will check their forecourt Calis and Vans to confirm.
Rik