Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Disaster with new Cali

Rogandsarah

Rogandsarah

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all
Have just yesterday collected our new California.
While trying to fit it into our garage I rotated the wing mirrors clockwise to see if I could make it a couple of inches narrower which it didn't.
Problem is the near side passenger mirror will not rotate back and it feels like if I try and force it something is going to break :cry:
Has anyone come access this before or can offer any advise. I can visit the dealer but I'm supposed to be going on a trip tomorrow and looking like it's going to be without the use of the mirror :(
Any help appreciated - this is a great forum especially for us newbies!
Thanks

Hi there sorry to hear of your problem so soon into Cali ownership
I folded my mirrors the other day and only the drivers folded I turned the switch and they both
Folded opposite to each other I then turned the switch on and off again and they corrected themselves you could try switching them on and off. If not then a return to dealer I'm afraid

Place a call to VW Assist!

Annoying. And there's no real way to get into the casing without breaking the covers. The manual says they are sacrificial! Suggest call to dealer. Guess there is a possibility that the loom that runs inside the unit from the door is caught or too tight.

Calikev said:
Hi there sorry to hear of your problem so soon into Cali ownership
I folded my mirrors the other day and only the drivers folded I turned the switch and they both
Folded opposite to each other I then turned the switch on and off again and they corrected themselves you could try switching them on and off. If not then a return to dealer I'm afraid
Thanks calikev - that solved it!! Phew tbh the main problem was that I hadn't realised the Cali had electric folding mirrors so I'd turned mine manually. Once I'd switches the folding mirrors I could then rotate the nearside mirror back which meant they were mis matched turning the switch off and on corrected this.
Thanks all for your swift replays - this forum is the best! :clap

Have had this a couple of times. Can also try disconnecting the battery for a bit and reconnecting it to sort it out.

cheers

Related question - does anyone know how easy it is to remove the wing mirrors completely ? (Non-electronic but folding manual ones)

NZCol said:
Related question - does anyone know how easy it is to remove the wing mirrors completely ? (Non-electronic but folding manual ones)

Col,

Are you trying to fit your Cali into a 20ft shipping container? I've had two quotes to ship mine to NZ. One at about £1400 to go into a container, the other at £3200 to go Ro-Ro from two different companies. Insurance is 3% on top of that!

I'm tempted to take the risk and go for the container option, I gather it will leave around 10-15cm each side of the the folded mirrors.

Andy

Yes - although a 40footer but same width. With mirrors folded there should be about 10-12cm each side as you say and the shipping guy I am dealing with sends his cars that way, the expensive ones. As long as they can get to the front to shackle it and then get out through the tailgate it wil be OK. I just wondered about taking them off and putting them back on at the other end !

I'll have to catch up with you on what to buy and take with me - I have a Beach. Looking at one of the Vango awnings and may get a retrofit heater, but not sure whether I need it in NZ given the warmer climate, although I realise how cold it can get in winter even in North Island. I already have the bike rack and was amazed at the prices you were quoted in in NZ.

Andy