Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New owner with Bike rack problem and Question on wing mirrors.

Mags21

Mags21

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Just taken delivery on Friday of our new Cali.

Tried to load on 2 bikes at the weekend had to end up using bungee ropes to secure to bike rack as we couldn't get the arms of the bike rack (standard VW fitted /supplied by dealer) to attach to frames of both bikes as they were in the wrong position. Managed to attach only one bike to an arm. Can the arms be slid along the bar to get to correct position for each bike? I was actually able to push one and move it to a better position but other two wouldn't move.Didn't seem to be anything I could loosen to reposition.

Haven't had time to check the manual but second question - can't figure out how to fold in wing mirrors which are catching on bushes on our driveway when reversing out - already chopped bushes/ trees back and it would help if I could fold in the wing mirrors to prevent damage.The little control knob on the drivers door only seems to tilt the glass not actually bring the whole thing in towards the van.

Thanks for any comments.

Rotate the knob, can't remember if the folded position is at 12 o,clock or 6 o,clock, but one of them folds the mirrors, the mirrors don't really fold in that much, they rotate and point upwards but doesn't really gain you much.

1. Bike rack: yes you can slide these along the rail, yes they are hard to slide. Slight tap with a block and mallet just to slide across worked with me for one that I couldn't budge. It loosened up a little and has been good as gold since. Adjusting the clamps to the frames takes some fiddling with but you just have to keep trying till you get it in the right position. That was my experience anyway.
2. You have a rotary switch on the top of the door panel which controls the mirrors. Move this switch from it's current L or R position to its central zero position at the top (not the bottom heater position). This will fold the mirrors...

yes, the knob on the drivers side to adjust the mirrors : if you turn it at 12 o clock they will rotate upward/inward. At 6 o clock they heat.

To play with the bike rack arms, loosen the knobs so that they start gliding better on their base and then play until it matches your bikes.

Tried loosening the nut on the arm on my rack but still had one tight arm that wouldn't move, hence the mallet approach. Think I had a small manufacturing flaws since the plastic sleeve looked slightly distorted on mine...

The mirrors aren't a good design in my opinion.
As you have found they only rotate, not really folding away.
Also they are designed to spring back if hit from the front of the van, (the majority of cases I expect) If hit from the back it breaks the mechanism which cost around £300/350 to replace.

Thanks for info - successfully folded in the mirrors this afternoon.I was trying to press the knob down or pull it up didn't realise you just turn to 12 o'clock and wait! They turned in enough to clear the bushes.
Will try again with the bike rack at the weekend.

Thanks again.

Back