Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discovering the Grand California 600 in the showroom

I fit in a 5 meter short California bed with my 1,95 m, but not in a Florida/Miami (this vehicle has nothing to do with a California) of over 7 meters long?
When dining in my California, the space is even too large to eat with the rear seat way up back. You might even slide it more forward to be comfortable.
Not in this one. My long legs would not fit between the back of the front seat and the front of the middle seat!

So, first of all, VW should change the name to Florida or Miami, or whatever, and rethink the concept.
Maybe even listen to real campers, instead of their engineers.

Great post, Wim! The "Grand" does not tempt me. Probably the better quality and driving skills in its segment, but not a vehicle that that evokes an emotion as our own 'Cali' does.

Thanks for posting - really interesting to see it. We still prefer the Cali however - it seems they have compromised alot to get the loo in. Looked very cramped in the cabin area. Interesting, though - thanks.

Thanks for the heads up on this. We are on our way back from our round Baltic trip and currently camped in Apeldoorn. Planning to drop in at CamperCentrum tomorrow to have a look around and get front panel for awning, so will have a look at Grands, assuming they are still on show.

Thanks for the heads up on this. We are on our way back from our round Baltic trip and currently camped in Apeldoorn. Planning to drop in at CamperCentrum tomorrow to have a look around and get front panel for awning, so will have a look at Grands, assuming they are still on show.
There sure will be at least one hopefully .

We did drop in at Amersfoort and there were 3 x Grand 600’s. We had a good look around one and talked with one of the sales guys. I tend to agree with a lot of the previous negative comments about this effectively being another motor home as opposed to VW missing the opportunity to create a unique big camper van. It appears to be incredibly high which is exaggerated by the narrow width, unlike the normal motor home which tends to be wider in the habitation part than the front cabin. It overall seems a bit cramped, there is a lack of logic about the space in the rear under the bed, the small cupboards don’t appear to hold much, and bikes could be carried internally only by hingeing the central part of the bed vertically but which then blocks access to the cupboards. Our friends have a small Hymer which must be similar in size but the layout is so much more spacious plus has a garage that takes a couple of bikes under the bed. The internal white finish is great and the bathroom and kitchen fittings look cleverly designed and smart, but overall this model is now in competition with other motor home models who I think do it better as they’ve been in the market for so much longer. Other than that, CampingCentrum is a great place to visit.

Back