Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dislike of Cali owners!

Very true... sometimes we need to remember that with the Cali being available from a VW dealer then many people buy it just because they want a camper and have no interest in being part of a scene... VW, Cali or otherwise.

Over the years have come across a few (not many) Cali owners who have been a little surprised and indeed a little put out when I've popped across to say "Hi" which I'll do to any VW or indeed other classic camper... (I've a particular fondness for Commers and H-vans...)

To these people they are just a campervan, not a VW and not a "Cali"... It suits their purposes... which is to get away. Any other conversion could do the job but they liked the idea of buying from a main dealer, close to home where they saw the product. (One owner referred to his as his new (VW) Bongo, as that's what he'd traded in to replace... Fair enough, he was happy)

I'd guess less than 50% of us are "scene types"... the rest just want to enjoy campering. Very different from the "Classic VW's" - (Which I include the T4 Cali's in) with their obvious associated lifestyle perceptions.

As such we shouldn't be upset when we don't get waves back.

Rgds
Mark
We bought ours because it was a campervan 4wd auto and had a 6'6 bed in the roof.
Found out about the whole Cali thing later! :rolleyes: :bananadance

I don't have a Cali, nor do I brag about how much it cost me. I love my VW and just hope I have more chance to use it next year. I am more interested in where to go and gizmos to put in it. I love the mini-me life it gives me....a stark contrast to my over complicated/messy work and home life.

Van living is fun.

I bought what I wanted and what I could afford....now I concentrate on enjoying it.

I have been on this forum regularly over the past year and only bemoan it if the Cali owners become a bit up themselves. Life is full of choices and each to their own. It doesn't make me a lesser person just because I preferred a Jerba....or does it on this forum?!
A Jerba eh? It was a toss up between a Cali and a Jerba for us. We went with the Cali in the end as the Jerba was just a bit too expensive when putting together a like for like spec. That said I do have the niggling doubts over the complexity of the Cali and the 'opportunity' for things to go wrong out of warranty and costs to rectify. How have you done for teething problems with the Jerba and what was the service like from Jerba following purchase?

A Jerba eh? It was a toss up between a Cali and a Jerba for us. We went with the Cali in the end as the Jerba was just a bit too expensive when putting together a like for like spec. That said I do have the niggling doubts over the complexity of the Cali and the 'opportunity' for things to go wrong out of warranty and costs to rectify. How have you done for teething problems with the Jerba and what was the service like from Jerba following purchase?
A few teething problems so was happy I work near enough and had used the Tantallon site to advantage to sort very minor problems.
Had nothing since other than VW van centre fixes.
Jerba have been extremely friendly and helpful. I love my Jerba...it is unique.

Gosh, when we ordered our Cali, I thought I was buying a fun vehicle that meant we could have a few days away. Little did I know that it had the ability to upset a large group of drivers of other vehicles. How odd! More fun than I thought!

Back