Dislike of Cali owners!

david white

david white

Administrator
Staff member
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
They don't appear to like us Cali owners on the T4 forum!

Never been on the Cali forum as I dont think I can mix with people that can afford to spend £50k on a van worth £20k
Id rather be here with people who like to build there own and are happy to share info and expeiernces
I do actually know someone who recently boought a cali on the grounds that he can afford it
his heads so far up his own Arse

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=602625

Lots of Cali owners on the T4/T5 forum...

As with all forums (?) you get people who don't get on...

The T4 guys dislike the T5's... never mind the Cali... and don't get me started about Volkszone :)

I once saw a stunning custom T5 have greasy burgers hidden under it's seat cushions by Split Screen guys... complaining they were spoiling the meets with builders vans...

Forums give a voice to all sorts and there are all sort in the "Scene.." It's really not a big happy family. Just look at the thefts and issues that happen at any meets - including our own.

We even see similar stuff but a little more controlled on here... a family but probably a dysfunctional one

Rgds

Mark

I think all forums are the same. They draw together a disparate range of people interested in one common theme. Loving my Cali does not mean that I have to love everyone driving one.

C'est la vie, different folks...different strokes...

Why take it personally?? It's the internet. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

He does have a slightly exaggerated point though! ;) Maybe not worth £20k but £30k would be fair. Still what goes around comes around and with luck the current VW melt down means they will be hit where it hurts them most - in their money grabbing pockets for decades to come. Call it payback for ridiculously inflated profit margins on what is basically a (rather shoddily) converted panel van.

I went to a local VW meet at a pub when I first got my Cali, when they realised I had a California and not a converted van they took an instant dislike to me, suffice to say I did not attend any more T5 meets.

I notice the person who made the post can't even spell

I have a love of engineering, especially at a DiY level. I would love to buy a van and have the skills, know-how and patience to lovingly look after it for years. I would love to buy a basic shell and spend hours and hours converting

However I cannot. When it comes to anything mechanical I have two left hands, my inability almost is a practical form of dyslexia, I only have to threaten a wall with putting a nail in it and the wall falls down.

Therefore I have to pay someone to do it for me. As I am so technically inept I need reliability and the reassurance that if anything goes wrong then a warranty will cover it. I need the conversion doing for me and because of my lifestyle it cannot be a motorhome built on a chassis, under 5m long and 2.1m high is essential.

Regardless of the base vehicle or who does the conversion I will be looking at spending 50k plus to have what I want. It is not head up arse, it is a reality that if I want to enjoy a certain lifestyle then I have to pay for it.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that there are people in this world that dont like us :talktothehand.

I do not want to grace Matt's behaviour with a reply,

However, a quiet word, said in private, said via pm, has now been made public in a display of butthurt all over the internet.

I might be old fashioned but private to me means just that, private.

They don't appear to like us Cali owners on the T4 forum!

Never been on the Cali forum as I dont think I can mix with people that can afford to spend £50k on a van worth £20k
Id rather be here with people who like to build there own and are happy to share info and expeiernces
I do actually know someone who recently boought a cali on the grounds that he can afford it
his heads so far up his own Arse

I speak as a soon to be owner of a new T5 Cali SE.
Regardless of what vehicle you have or what you could afford to pay for it, we all go for these vehicles for the spontaneity and freedom that they provide. Does it matter what it is? No, if it works for you then that is all that matters.
I had a very low mileage T4 work van until recently. I briefly considered converting it to a camper and would have been very happy with that arrangement. However for my wife and I, we just wanted to get into this lifestyle and didn't fancy all the work. We also found ourselves in the unique situation of being able to afford an overpriced Cali so went for it. I still keep in touch with the chap who bought my T4 and am delighted at his conversion to a camper. I am also thrilled that he and his young family are enjoying it so much.
So to conclude:
Yes, the cali probably is over priced.
If you want to build your own then that's great.
Yes, I can afford it.
But no, my head isn't up my a.... ,impossible at my time of life.

Last edited:
I went to a local VW meet at a pub when I first got my Cali, when they realised I had a California and not a converted van they took an instant dislike to me, suffice to say I did not attend any more T5 meets
"they"? o_O

Someone appears to be having a bit of a tantrum on the other forum!

This is the problem. People do not compare like with like. A Self conversion is a lot cheaper than a new California SE, But, it is often an older vehicle, uses different materials etc: and no one takes into account the number of man-hours in carrying out the conversion.
If you used a comparable base vehicle, the same materials for the camping conversion and charged for labour then the California SE rapidly becomes good value for money.
Good for those who undertake a conversion. Whilst working I didn't have the time or knowledge to do this so am quit happy to pay others to do it so I can get on with other things.
:thumb

Blimey, it was on Page 1 when I last checked, now on Page 7.
I see our former member is making his presence known in the only way he knows how.

Jealousy is nasty beast.....it is not my problem if the sado guy cannot afford a Cali! I cannot afford a Ferrari, that is life.

A converted Transporter van or any other converted vans are just vans, some ok but most tacky. They want to have a California but need to be happy with some tacky conversion and are green of enviness....

Money is not everything, but helps you to buy a California.......

Good night!

Jealousy is nasty beast.....it is not my problem if the sado guy cannot afford a Cali! I cannot afford a Ferrari, that is life.

A converted Transporter van or any other converted vans are just vans, some ok but most tacky. They want to have a California but need to be happy with some tacky conversion and are green of enviness....

Money is not everything, but helps you to buy a California.......

Good night!
That is a hopeless post, and stirs the pot rather than calms things down. For a 3rd post? Not good.

I'd rather be part of a happy family having a great time in a battered old van than a gloomy individual or couple stepping from a £55k Cali. This campervan life is ALL about what you do with them, not what you do it in.
Ask anyone who grew up having holidays in a camper, and you won't hear about the spec of the wheels or tilting bloody headlights. They'll talk about the friends they made, the freedom they felt and the sense of adventure. Learning to deal with the ups and downs of living in the wild.

Ignore it. You will find such 'discussions' all over the internet. Not worth using one brain cell on. Utter waste of effort. Walk away.
I already deeply regret the keyboard wear this post has cost me...

Amazing that anyone has the time and energy to write so much vile nonsense. Looking forward to owning my first Cali but hope I'm not that grumpy after 3years. Great forum btw, made the decision making re options etc on buying the T6 much easier than it might have been.

Human beings can be sad creatures especially when jealous but the beauty of the Internet we can choose to ignore them and their opinions :) most people aren't like that thankfully :)

That post has now been closed by mod's on the t4/5 forum. (well done them) It is sad how i person can run a mock and wind so many people up on both forums.
The reality in my view most VW van owners get on with each other what ever van they OWN and who turned it into a camper.

Back