Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DIY Wardrobe unit

J

johna

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We tend to pack clothes in thin drybags and also stuff sleeping bags, down jackets and the like in the wardrobe. We wanted a way of separating bags and that’s how this DIY project came about. I didn’t want a permanent fix, so this is self-supporting, stays rigidly in place but also folds so it's easy to remove. I used plywood, some oak and stainless-steel rod for the hinges; but it could possibly be done more simply.

20210325_9149.jpg

20210325_9151.jpg

20210325_9153.jpg

20210325_9155-2.jpg

20210325_9157-2.jpg

20210325_9159-2.jpg

20210325_9160.jpg

Very nice job.

That looks excellent and exactly what we have been looking for. Would you happen to have the plans or dimensions for your project ? Many thanks Nick.

That looks excellent and exactly what we have been looking for. Would you happen to have the plans or dimensions for your project ? Many thanks Nick.
Yes, I’ve got some more plan-like pics. I’ll mark them up with dimensions and post tomorrow.

It is a nice job, good solution. But it looks heavy... Did you weight it by any chance?

It is a nice job, good solution. But it looks heavy... Did you weight it by any chance?
Thanks. I’ll report back on weight, tomorrow.

Hi Calimili,

Weight of the whole unit is just under 2.5kg. It doesn't seem too heavy. I used 5.5mm plywood.

I've no idea how this compares with the aluminium ones you see advertised. I can't see published weights.

I'll post dimensions later.

Hi Calimili,

Weight of the whole unit is just under 2.5kg. It doesn't seem too heavy. I used 5.5mm plywood.

I've no idea how this compares with the aluminium ones you see advertised. I can't see published weights.

I'll post dimensions later.
Hi Johna, thx. 2.5kg is quite light. I tend to underestimate the strength of wood, and end up overbuilding and than having too much weight. I used 10mm mdf for my shelves...

Hi Johna, thx. 2.5kg is quite light. I tend to underestimate the strength of wood, and end up overbuilding and than having too much weight. I used 10mm mdf for my shelves...
Yes, 10mm mdf would be heavy; and thinner mdf may sag / bend more than plywood. 5.5mm ply is a good compromise of weight / strength. The thin sections of oak I used for edges and guides also helps with rigidity. A tip when cutting thin ply is to score your cut lines with a marking knife before cutting. This helps to avoid splitting and breaking the fibres of the thin surface plies.

Brilliant and many thanks, that would certainly help
Nick.
OK, hopefully the attached files give you enough measurements to work things out. There may be small dimensional variation between vans, but probably not much. I've not included sizes for the hinges I made, because you may not go down that route anyway, but if you need any more just ask. If you want the whole thing to be able to fold flat for storage, then because the two sides need to fold over each other, you'll need to provide for this in the way the hinges fold. I cut the curved lip of the shelf from a scrap piece of 18mm Birch ply, because this has good, dense grain and importantly for a narrow piece like this, no voids.

Correction, on 2.pdf the 27.5mm dimension should be 22.5.

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 66
  • 2.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 3.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 24
Back