Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DNX525DAB - Garmin Navigation - Avoidances

DavidApp

DavidApp

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi Everyone - Does anyone else have a Garmin on a DNX525DAB with an insatiable appetite for country lanes and B roads while navigating? I've noticed this on about three separate occasions. There is a perfectly fine, although slight longer, A road route yet the Garmin insists on almost going x-country! Today the unit took me down some lanes that were almost paved then told me to turn down a lane marked "unsuitable for motor vehicles"!!??!!

It's the latest 2014 Garmin map for the Kenwood, purchased at the beginning of August. Avoidances are set to Toll, Traffic Share, Unpaved, U-Turns. I just wish there was a setting to avoid lanes and B roads. Navigation is also set to fastest route (as opposed to shortest or fuel economy). How can the fastest route by down a farm lane? :confused:

My 2013 DNX521DAB suffers the same problem and I have not managed to solve the problem but would like to.
Just last night driving back from Cornwall to Exeter it thought the best route was off the A30 which makes no sense at all. I have also had similar issues to you when it took me down lanes with more grass than tarmac. I have lost all faith in it as a navigation system.

Ours did that about a week ago on the way to Dorset.single track lane with foot high grass in the middle.very strange.

Interesting, so I am not the only one! At this stage I have no idea whether it is an issue with the Kenwood head unit or the Garmin application on it. I might have a call with Garmin customer care on this. I also may start using my windscreen mounted satnav again instead, which is also a Garmin, but I've never had these kinds of problems with it.

I think you'll find it's gamins mapping software ,after a recent trip to europe i got rid of my garmin nuvi after numerous detours up mountain passes only to arrive back on the road i'd just left ! .The final straw was on the road up to Zermatt where it told me to turn off up a dead end dirt track which was single lane.I also have a garmin for cycling and it's exactly the same,you get to know when to ignore it after a while.
I bought a windscreen mounted tom tom and its great so much simpler and no detours :thumbPlus free map updates for life

2013 model kenwood built in
I intentionally set B roads a lot of the time when touring and remember after setting the sat nav once I finished up at the farmers street door :sad usually when this happens I turn around and after a while the sat reroutes me
However if I want to make sure this doesn't happen I check my route roughly on the screen By following the sats path of direction in advance
OK I suppose if your not in a hurry :D

Alan

Buy a map book and prepare before you go.:rolleyes: If you do think you aren't on the right route stop and do a quick check on where exactly you are on your phone mapping app.

Works a great for us, we find all sorts of interesting places when the driver has one idea of the route in their mind and the passenger has another! Years ago we ended up in a remote village north of Genoa called montoggio, one of the most memorable holidays we ever had in our tiny 2 man tent. :). This was well before even mobile phones had been thought about.

On the mapping apps on phones, there is an excellent app called maps.me which has the maps downloaded, so you can work without a data connection. It also has hiking footpaths, bridlepaths etc. So is excellent for planning any walks.

"we find all sorts of interesting places when the driver has one idea of the route in their mind and the passenger has another" - That usually means you're lost. I prefer to trust a Satnav rather than stopping to read a map every 5 mins if I am driving by myself.

Strange but very annoying, we have just updated to a garmin sat nav after our old sat nav did that all the time whatever setting it was on, we saw some lovely countryside but the kids felt car sick alot! No issues whatsoever with the garmin in a 2700 mile trip to France .

Back