Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do I pop the roof up or not?

theonecraw

theonecraw

aka Rioja
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hey,

We are going away this weekend for our first advent on our new Cali. I've been reading about putting the roof up in bad/windy conditions and there are no clear guidelines. We are going to be near the south coast and the forecast is wet with 40+ mph gusts of wind. I reckon we'll be alright with the roof up. What do you think?

Thanks again... :)

All comes down on how it feels at the moment.
Roof can take heavy winds , but sleeping in the roof or even downstaires with open roof can be hard , the canvas flapping .....
If we spend the night in heavy wind , we close it before go to sleep and make our bed downstairs , but we are only two ....
As said above tail in the wind.

If you don't NEED to put the roof up in strong wind then don't.
We have had it up in 70 mph gusts when we were rocked to sleep.
We also bailed once in 90 mph winds when we were lucky we had 3 of us to get the roof down intact.

We found ourselves in Scotland last November on the edge of storm Abigail, gusts of 50 ish mph, maybe a bit more. Slept upstairs as usual . . . but it was a little noisy, and as above tail in the wind is definitely worth it if possible, not least because it does rock about a bit. Actually quite a lot if side on to the breeze.

Was fun though - have a great weekend.

Have you got a bungee for taking it down in the morning? If not then you may need to manoeuvre to get the front into the wind and have someone outside checking!
Enjoy. We were once in 95mph winds near Berry Head in Devon. But I was chicken and had the roof down!
Zebedee

Cheers folks. Got a bungee - Great bit of kit. We are staying here two nights so hopefully some better weather tomorrow. Nice walk with the dogs and a tasty pub lunch is in order. Really enjoying the Cali especially when eating cheese and meats and drinking wine. image.jpeg Thanks again for the replies!image.jpeg

Cheers folks. Got a bungee - Great bit of kit. We are staying here two nights so hopefully some better weather tomorrow. Nice walk with the dogs and a tasty pub lunch is in order. Really enjoying the Cali especially when eating cheese and meats and drinking wine. View attachment 11714 Thanks again for the replies!View attachment 11713
Make sure you have the DOWNWIND door open when lowering roof.

Back