Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When not to leave the roof up?

Vincent123

Vincent123

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Just had a great weekend in the Lakes and although I wouldn't say it was particularly windy, it was quite an exposed camp site. The gusts picked up in the night and it started to rain - really didn't fancy messing around in the dark putting the roof down so just hoped the van was up to it. All was fine in the morning - interested to know what are the considered limitations when having the roof up?

Just had a great weekend in the Lakes and although I wouldn't say it was particularly windy, it was quite an exposed camp site. The gusts picked up in the night and it started to rain - really didn't fancy messing around in the dark putting the roof down so just hoped the van was up to it. All was fine in the morning - interested to know what are the considered limitations when having the roof up?
I cannot find anything definitive, but this thread may help.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/do-i-pop-the-roof-up-or-not.12775/

I tend to lower my roof when the en-masse visits by the nesting seagulls coincide with the "three course dinner for £10" promotion at my local Indian restaurant.

The way they raid the local bins you know that aerial bombardment is inevitable!

As for wind, the only meteorological event that would cause me to Lower my Cali roof, apparently storm force 10 and above is the limit, although in reality 60mph gave me a sleepless night.

One of those things where better safe than sorry.

Suffered a bad storm in Cornwall on a cliff top camp site. Rain horizontal - parked side on to the wind in line with the pitch marker as required by CC rules.Rain came in through the vent up under the forward edge of the roof - wondered why my newspaper was getting soggy!

Moved the truck to be tail into the wind - problem solved.

Stopped the wind rocking the truck as much too.

Best disconnect the hook up first, even if you get very wet doing it, else rewiring job in the morning!.

Regards

Ray