Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do warranty repair T&Cs guarantee a courtesy car?

Thanks for comments. My saga continues! Latest update is that I am due to get a courtesy car via this VW Mobex system, but it's really geared as a 'recovery' system. So it's not arranged until moment Campervan is picked-up (by the AA!) and goes to bodyshop. Then I state what vehicle I want and it's dropped-off - via Eurocar - that day (hopefully). But when I phoned Eurocar they said their basic insurance excess is £1100! (on a Golf) - unless you pay between £10-30 a day to bring it down to £350. But I think I'm not be unreasonable in not wanting to pay more than my current £250. So still waiting from the dealership on this. Problem is, getting a courtesy car for warranty repair is not in warranty T&Cs I've been told - it's just at someone's discretion. Had a call back from unhelpful VW Customer Care saying if I wasn't happy with it I could go to the Motor Ombudsman!

Thanks. Unfortunately my insurance doesn't entitle me to drive any other vehicle - not just for 3rd party

Thanks for comments. My saga continues! Latest update is that I am due to get a courtesy car via this VW Mobex system, but it's really geared as a 'recovery' system. So it's not arranged until moment Campervan is picked-up (by the AA!) and goes to bodyshop. Then I state what vehicle I want and it's dropped-off - via Eurocar - that day (hopefully). But when I phoned Eurocar they said their basic insurance excess is £1100! (on a Golf) - unless you pay between £10-30 a day to bring it down to £350. But I think I'm not be unreasonable in not wanting to pay more than my current £250. So still waiting from the dealership on this. Problem is, getting a courtesy car for warranty repair is not in warranty T&Cs I've been told - it's just at someone's discretion. Had a call back from unhelpful VW Customer Care saying if I wasn't happy with it I could go to the Motor Ombudsman!
Check with your van insurers, you may have cover for loan cars on that - its different to the driving other cars section.
If not google hire car excess insurance. You can get an annual policy to cover it for about £35 that brings the excess down to £0.
Always useful for dodgy airport holiday hires.

My California insurance provides cover for a courtesy vehicle. I just take the Policy Document in, they photocopy it, no charge.
Dear WelshGas - would you be able to tell me who you're insured with? I'm with AIB, but I've only now discovered that I'm nor covered to drive another vehicle - even on 3rd party. Thanks

Check with your van insurers, you may have cover for loan cars on that - its different to the driving other cars section.
If not google hire car excess insurance. You can get an annual policy to cover it for about £35 that brings the excess down to £0.
Always useful for dodgy airport holiday hires.
Thanks - will look into it

Dear WelshGas - would you be able to tell me who you're insured with? I'm with AIB, but I've only now discovered that I'm nor covered to drive another vehicle - even on 3rd party. Thanks
Caravan & Motorhome Club.

In answer to my original question:...

DO WARRANTY REPAIR T&CS GUARANTEE A COURTESY CAR?​

...I've now had it categorically confirmed by the Motor Ombudsman that no car brand/dealership is under any contractual obligation to give you a courtesy car during a warranty repair situation - it's purely at their discretion. Likewise in terms of ensuring you don't pay any more insurance excess than you currently pay on your own policy. So it's not just VW.

I also think it makes a difference when you take your vehicle back for a warrant repair to a dealership you didn't originally buy it from - like I am. There's nothing in it for them - as they've told me (apart from the time, hassle, red-tape, etc to sort your problem) and they didn't even benefit from the original profit on the sale. In reality, you're not really taking your vehicle back to 'VW' per se, but to an independent company who just happen to have a VW franchised opportunity to sell those vehicles.

There's nothing in it for them - as they've told me (apart from the time, hassle, red-tape, etc to sort your problem) and they didn't even benefit from the original profit on the sale. In reality, you're not really taking your vehicle back to 'VW' per se, but to an independent company who just happen to have a VW franchised opportunity to sell those vehicles.
Dealers make their money on servicing. If they keep you happy regarding the warranty work, then you are more likely to go back to them for a service.

Last edited:
My California insurance provides cover for a courtesy vehicle. I just take the Policy Document in, they photocopy it, no charge.
Great. Do they usually provide a California?

Great. Do they usually provide a California?
No.
But in the event of a claim on the insurance they can, if I wish, or an equivalent.
Only tested that in the past when our caravan was written off. They were prepared to supply a rented caravan whilst ours was being replaced under the new for old element of the policy.

No.
But in the event of a claim on the insurance they can, if I wish, or an equivalent.
Only tested that in the past when our caravan was written off. They were prepared to supply a rented caravan whilst ours was being replaced under the new for old element of the policy.

See post #32 - Caravan & Motorhome Club

I’m with LV insurance, they do cover a courtesy car upto a like for like basis (eg fully comp) if the vehicle is being serviced (assume warranty work is the same cover as classed as servicing / repair) !

I’m with LV insurance, they do cover a courtesy car upto a like for like basis (eg fully comp) if the vehicle is being serviced (assume warranty work is the same cover as classed as servicing / repair) !
Many thanks - I'll look at them when I re-insure (I've made a note).

Back