Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does anyone tow a trailer?

We have an erde trailer.
over 750kgs it has to be braked, if living in france it also has to be registered if 750kgs or over. As @briwy also speed restricted, whether registered in france or not

We used to travel with 4 kids in our Beach using the Thule easy base and x 2 bags. The extra cost of crossing the channel with a trailer always put us off buying one.

The easy base and x 1 bag are up for sale :-

Thanks for all your replies. The towing speed limit is a real negative. Have been looking at a Thule 949 base and a 900 backup. Does anyone have one of these and the T6 bike rack? Is it possible to:

1. open the backup box with the bike rack in use? (Enough space for the lid to open?)

2.Can you open the tailgate with the box on or do you have to remove?

Any better solutions out there?

Thanks for all your advice.

on the Easybase the rear bar folds down (looking from the rear towards tailgate) but the fixed uprights will still be high enough to prevent the tailgate opening. it has no tilt facility.

See detail here

Thanks for all your replies. The towing speed limit is a real negative. Have been looking at a Thule 949 base and a 900 backup. Does anyone have one of these and the T6 bike rack? Is it possible to:

1. open the backup box with the bike rack in use? (Enough space for the lid to open?)

2.Can you open the tailgate with the box on or do you have to remove?

Any better solutions out there?

Thanks for all your advice.
Speed restrictions make less of a difference to journey times than on paper calculations. Evidence of this can be seen when an HGV that was passed long before passes by as you get out for a break or refuel.

Ferry costs are offset by lower fuel consumption with a small trailer than flat out blast A to B driving. Negative is toll charges.

on the Easybase the rear bar folds down (looking from the rear towards tailgate) but the fixed uprights will still be high enough to prevent the tailgate opening. it has no tilt facility.

See detail here
Thanks - any ideas on whether you can open the box with the T6 bike rack in use?

Speed restrictions make less of a difference to journey times than on paper calculations. Evidence of this can be seen when an HGV that was passed long before passes by as you get out for a break or refuel.

Ferry costs are offset by lower fuel consumption with a small trailer than flat out blast A to B driving. Negative is toll charges.

In the uk I would agree about the overall journey time as its 60mph v 70mph on the motorway, but on the autoroute its 55mph v 80mph which is substantial difference.

When fully loaded we use a westfalia BC60 tilting bike rack with the Portilo box mounted on it on the tow bar together with a fiamma bike rack for the bikes.

The box is a lot smaller than the thule one, but can be unlocked & removed very quickly.

If you are considering the thule box check you've got space to store it - its big lump to have hanging around the garage.

Thanks - any ideas on whether you can open the box with the T6 bike rack in use?

See detail here

I cut approx 30mm from the bottom of the uprights on my Easy Base. This allows the tailgate to be opened whilst the easy base is still attached to the tow bar and the upright bar folded down.

No. That would'nt work for me.
Hi Borris,

Sorry if I missed it, but what did you decide in the end?

I know it was a few years ago but we've been considering a trailer for similar reasons you described in your first post.

The Anssems looks like a good piece of kit. Branderup and Venter also look like quality options.

In the uk I would agree about the overall journey time as its 60mph v 70mph on the motorway, but on the autoroute its 55mph v 80mph which is substantial difference.

When fully loaded we use a westfalia BC60 tilting bike rack with the Portilo box mounted on it on the tow bar together with a fiamma bike rack for the bikes.

The box is a lot smaller than the thule one, but can be unlocked & removed very quickly.

If you are considering the thule box check you've got space to store it - its big lump to have hanging around the garage.
Reality is that the time theoretically saved on a normal trip wouldn't be major deciding factor to have or not have a trailer attached.
I doubt that many do 130kmh constantly.
I've travelled to and from my holiday home in France with and without the trailer and found arrival times are more dependent on traffic conditions than trailer speed restrictions.

Hi Borris,

Sorry if I missed it, but what did you decide in the end?

I know it was a few years ago but we've been considering a trailer for similar reasons you described in your first post.

The Anssems looks like a good piece of kit. Branderup and Venter also look like quality options.
Hi Blondebier,
In the end I went for the Anssems GT 750 201 HT. It's a lovely little trailer, secure, roomy and tows brilliantly. In fact most of the time you wouldn't know it was behind you. You can even get bike racks that fit on the top.

It is great to camp with as you can use the top as a table or prep area and you can hide anything you don't want in the van in it.

Another bonus is, I beleive the 750 has a bigger wheel/tyre combo than the 500 version.

Back