Does anyone tow a trailer?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello Campers,

Whilst there is only usually the two of us in our Cali, we do from time to time stop in one location for a break away. When we do, we will usually take our Vango Galli drive away awning and other handy camping accoutrements. All this stuff takes up valuable interior space that can restrict the use of the van until on site.
We also anticipate taking our grandchildren away in the van next year and will therefore need the drive away awning etc as well as the space to seat the little scoundrels in the van.

On a different note, we are about to attempt a de-clutter of our house before I commence the next round of DIY and decorating. Deep joy! A small trailer would help with trips to the dump, charity shops etc as well as for other general purpose jobs. I am not looking forward to this process as Mrs B and I have never shared the same thoughts about de-cluttering so there could be trouble ahead! :Nailbiting I already own a perfectly good large trailer but Kent County Council will no longer allow it into their domestic recycling centres. In fact they have introduced so many restrictions on what can be dumped, by whom and in what vehicle that it seems as if they are actively encouraging people to fly tip in our more remote beautiful country lanes, something which has been on the increase in recent years.

So I am thinking of buying one of these:
image.jpeg
It's an Assems GT500-151-HT un-braked trailer with a lockable lid which will keep the contents secure and water proof. The top has structural strength so things can be loaded on top and strapped down if necessary although thats not my plan. However the flat top does look as if it will be a usefull surface when camping etc. There is also a version with built in bike racks on the lid thereby making the rear bike rack redundant when towing. These trailers come in various sizes but for my purposes its only the above mentioned smallest version that I am prepared to entertain. Anyone got one?

However, my main questions is: Do you tow a trailer behind your Cali?

If you do then what are your experiences of towing a small camping trailer and by this what I am really try to get at is was it useful? What were the ups and downs of having one?

Many thanks,
Paul.

Last edited:
Thanks Wim,
I did use the search function but found nothing that specifically addressed my question. The above posts all seem to deal with the act of towing a trailer behind a Cali. My post isn't about that aspect as I already know it won't present any problems what so ever. I have towed many trailers over the years and the Cali is a great tow vehicle.

Whilst I may not have made the title of my thread clear enough my post asks about the practicalities, pros, cons, etc of having a camping trailer and not the actual towing there of.

Best wishes
Paul

You said....
"However, my main questions is: Do you tow a trailer behind your Cali?"

So i looked up some topics about towing ;)

Don't direct recal a topic on building a campingtrailer on the forum .
Having a Beach it could be usefull to build in a gasbotlle/outdoor coocker and carry some watertanks.

But i think it would be great to bring all kinds of stuff with you when using campsites ,
Also handy to put bikes on , and you can leave it on site when exploring the region.

When using aires or freecamping you could have difficulties in search for a spot.

Pros

Extra storage capacity
More space in the van

Cons
Getting the appropriate towbar preparation
Slower speed on the motorways
Not being able to use the outside lane on the motorway
Some manoeuvrability loss
Finding somewhere to keep the trailer on a campsite
Security of the trailer if you leave it
Extra cost on ferries / tunnel etc
More difficult to find a parking space
Forgetting that it's there
DVLA licence requirements (if you're young enough)
Extra insurance costs (for the trailer and its contents)
Finding somewhere to store the trailer at home when you aren't using it
Finding out that one of the light bulbs has stopped working just before you hitch up the trailer
Walking into the greasy towbar and really banging your shin

You said....
"However, my main questions is: Do you tow a trailer behind your Cali?"

So i looked up some topics about towing ;)

Don't direct recal a topic on building a campingtrailer on the forum .
Having a Beach it could be usefull to build in a gasbotlle/outdoor coocker and carry some watertanks.

But i think it would be great to bring all kinds of stuff with you when using campsites ,
Also handy to put bikes on , and you can leave it on site when exploring the region.

When using aires or freecamping you could have difficulties in search for a spot.
Sorry Wim, I could have worded it a little better.

Its not that I want to take extra equipment with us but we have found that there are occasions when we just have to. Views on the pros and cons from anyone has has a camping trailer would be welcome.

Pros

Extra storage capacity
More space in the van

Cons
Finding out that one of the light bulbs has stopped working just before you hitch up the trailer
Driving licence - towing restrictions only apply if the trailer is over 3,500kgs or the combined mass is.
You can tow a trailer up to 750kgs with no extra licence requirements.
No problems with a trailer on campsites, did it for years pre caravanning.
Motorway restriction on lane use is only the outside lane if 3 or more lanes present.
Hitch or wheel clamp takes care of security.
Speed restrictions make surprisingly little difference to legal travel times and better consumption in return.

Otherwise I'd agree with your cons.

Hello Campers,

Whilst there is only usually the two of us in our Cali, we do from time to time stop in one location for a break away. When we do, we will usually take our Vango Galli drive away awning and other handy camping accoutrements. All this stuff takes up valuable interior space that can restrict the use of the van until on site.
We also anticipate taking our grandchildren away in the van next year and will therefore need the drive away awning etc as well as the space to seat the little scoundrels in the van.

On a different note, we are about to attempt a de-clutter of our house before I commence the next round of DIY and decorating. Deep joy! A small trailer would help with trips to the dump, charity shops etc as well as for other general purpose jobs. I am not looking forward to this process as Mrs B and I have never shared the same thoughts about de-cluttering so there could be trouble ahead! :Nailbiting I already own a perfectly good large trailer but Kent County Council will no longer allow it into their domestic recycling centres. In fact they have introduced so many restrictions on what can be dumped, by whom and in what vehicle that it seems as if they are actively encouraging people to fly tip in our more remote beautiful country lanes, something which has been on the increase in recent years.

View attachment 27986
It's an Assems GT500-151-HT un-braked trailer with a lockable lid which will keep the contents secure and water proof. The top has structural strength so things can be loaded on top and strapped down if necessary although thats not my plan. However the flat top does look as if it will be a usefull surface when camping etc. There is also a version with built in bike racks on the lid thereby making the rear bike rack redundant when towing. These trailers come in various sizes but for my purposes its only the above mentioned smallest version that I am prepared to entertain. Anyone got one?

If you do then what are your experiences of towing a small camping trailer and by this what I am really try to get at is was it useful? What were the ups and downs of having one?

Many thanks,
Paul.
I'd go for a 750kgs one as the 500kgs includes the weight of the frame/chassis leaving only approx 300kgs carrying capacity.
750kgs trailers usually have superior wheel tyre combination more suited to long high speed running.
Also can carry approx 500kgs which is a small bulk bag.

Pros

Extra storage capacity
More space in the van

Cons
Excellent answer. Many thanks.

From your list of cons, I sense that you are not keen on the idea and I also have to admit that towing a trailer behind the Cali is not what I had ever envisaged. The last thing that I would want is for it to become a PITA. However, needs must! Most of your list of cons either don't apply in my case or wouldn't bother me at all but I am sure they would with others. The only issues that might cause annoyance to me personally would be, walking into a greasy towing hitch, finding a suitable parking space and the security angle. Of these three remaining cons, its only the parking space issue that I would have no control over.

Hi, I have been towing for years. apart from the slower speed you will find that trailers with a narrower wheel base then the towing car or van are just a bit more harder to reverse. I have never find a problem with parking as the trailer is sort of taken to site and dropped off, I use a London wheel clamp (unchained type ) to keep it safe. a mate of mind as a small 4 wheeled trailer which allows him to travel faster and is nice and light to move around. one think to look at is the size of the tires, don't buy a trailer with small tires as they do make harder work of it for some reason. I have a brenderup small lifting lid trailer which is very good to tow. F

Borris. Far from it. I am an enthusiastic user of trailers and have been using them for over 30 years. But you wanted the cons so I listed them all. They don't bother me

Not with the Cali but in the past towed a camping trailer about the size of the one you are thinking about.
We had a hitch that the trailer could be locked to tow bar of the tow van.
Small extra cost but get a spare wheel
Locking lid a must
The only issue in towing with the Cali is you may not beable to see the trailer in any of the mirrors
I can not see much of an issue at campsites Cali+Trailer = less of a pitch than Car and a caravan

I have an ERDE143 trailer, had it for 9 years no problem towing BUT i did forget twice i had it on the back, pulled into fuel at wrong pump reversed and jack knifed trailer into rear door. I now attached a broom handle to trailer with a pennant to remind me it on the van.
Also used it as a bike rack DIY of course. I also have a spare wheel.

Pros

Extra storage capacity
More space in the van

Cons

Of all those cons the last must be the most common and the most painful :shocked

I'd go for a 750kgs one as the 500kgs includes the weight of the frame/chassis leaving only approx 300kgs carrying capacity.
750kgs trailers usually have superior wheel tyre combination more suited to long high speed running.
Also can carry approx 500kgs which is a small bulk bag.
Good points. Thanks.

At the moment, I am thinking of the small 500kgs version because I have to garage it at home and also because I don't want to encourage the taking of too much. If we have a large empty trailer on the back then I just know what will happen, we'll end up with every thing including the kitchen sink and thats not the idea. The 750kgs version is very tempting but as I already have a large Ifor Williams general purpose trailer I don't think we'll really need it. I will certainly give it some thought though.

The one thing missing from the picture of the trailer is the fact there are know rear stands. at times when using this sort of trailer they can be a pain to load and unload as they keep tipping unless hatched to the car or van. I know that they can be fitted with ease later but I do make the trailer easier to use. hatch locks can be overcome with ease these days, as can most ebay sort of wheel clamps. so add on the cost of a good lock. F

Hi, I have been towing for years. apart from the slower speed you will find that trailers with a narrower wheel base then the towing car or van are just a bit more harder to reverse. I have never find a problem with parking as the trailer is sort of taken to site and dropped off, I use a London wheel clamp (unchained type ) to keep it safe. a mate of mind as a small 4 wheeled trailer which allows him to travel faster and is nice and light to move around. one think to look at is the size of the tires, don't buy a trailer with small tires as they do make harder work of it for some reason. I have a brenderup small lifting lid trailer which is very good to tow. F
I've towed many trailers of all shapes and sizes over the years and wouldn't attempt to reverse a very small trailer with a large vehicle especially if you can't see it properly. Always disconnect before any reversing manoeuvres.

You mentioned using it for the dump run, check the rules on sizes at your local one carefully, ours won't let me in with an erde 143 which from memory is 6'x4'. the limit is 4'x4'.

Re security theres no point in investing in a decent hitch lock as the weakest point is the lock on the detachable tow bar.

We have a camping trailer but have never used it with the cali because:

1. Speed on the motorway, theoretically it should only limit you to doing 60 rather than 70. But on the busier motorways the middle lane tends to be more like 56mph as thats the limit for lorries & I would normally do 80 in the outside lane, that does make a large difference on journey times.
2. We don't tend to go straight home after eviction from the campsite, would rather go to the beach etc & travel home in the evening, parking with the trailer is a pain.
3.We can fit everything we would take in the trailer in a towbar mounted backbox

Re weight of trailer - if you are ever intending taking it to france a 500kg trailer + Cali (not 4motion) comes in at exactly the 3500kg Gross Train Weight limit which allows you to use outside lane of the motorway & the 83mph limit the same as cars. use a 750kg trailer & you are limited to 50mph.

Having owned a variety over the years I would highly recommend Brenderup - they have bigger wheels than most with a long A frame which makes for a very stable tow.

Hi Boris

I’ve got the trailer thing bad . Got the Anssems Vt2 1200 kg braked about 21/2 yrs ago . Use it for mainly moving sails and boat maintenance kit and big furniture . It’s usually full to brim . You know it’s on the back but tows very well . We took it to southern Brittany last May on boat duty. We use it as a mobile scaffold for boat maintenance as well .

As you say they’ve got very picky at the tip and although I took the big trailer to the tip several times I was expecting to be challenged so I got a GT 750-201 HT as well about 18 months ago and use It regularly . In fact I used it for the tip today but I also plan to use it for camping . It tows really well but isn’t as easy to reverse as the Vt2 because you can’t see it . So I had some extra lights fitted which stick out about 6 in . I did look at the smaller 500 trailer but am really glad I went for the 750 kg . It has a longer towing arm and will tow better . It’s usually full on the tip trips . The 500 will be almost impossible to reverse because it’s so short and you can’t see it . 750 and 500 are very easy to unhitch and manoeuvre single handed but I did put some prop stands on my 750kg to stop it tipping up when unhitched and loaded . Recommend. AF8A0420-D8F0-42F0-93CD-83BD9A4662ED.jpeg72AD3DB1-4FFD-487E-A25E-9055515D7A3A.jpeg 499AFBCC-4DF9-489D-AD7C-B96A9CF70839.jpeg18D58930-0493-438C-9A8A-621814DD8C35.jpeg 956422D7-B36C-440D-9AA5-7E7B903A5AC9.jpeg

Last edited:
We have a small one for general use which is really handy for the tip etc. Occasionally used it for carrying extra stuff for camping.
Already mentioned about the rear prop/stay, make sure you get a spare wheel. I guess most trailer tyres are out of date due to limited use so a spare is essential I think.
The Erde type and some others also have the French approval which possibly isn't necessary as a foreigner but handy to have.
Ours also has a tipping function which is handy for unloading sand etc

You mentioned using it for the dump run, check the rules on sizes at your local one carefully, ours won't let me in with an erde 143 which from memory is 6'x4'. the limit is 4'x4'.

Re security theres no point in investing in a decent hitch lock as the weakest point is the lock on the detachable tow bar.

We have a camping trailer but have never used it with the cali because:

1. Speed on the motorway, theoretically it should only limit you to doing 60 rather than 70. But on the busier motorways the middle lane tends to be more like 56mph as thats the limit for lorries & I would normally do 80 in the outside lane, that does make a large difference on journey times.
2. We don't tend to go straight home after eviction from the campsite, would rather go to the beach etc & travel home in the evening, parking with the trailer is a pain.
3.We can fit everything we would take in the trailer in a towbar mounted backbox

Re weight of trailer - if you are ever intending taking it to france a 500kg trailer + Cali (not 4motion) comes in at exactly the 3500kg Gross Train Weight limit which allows you to use outside lane of the motorway & the 83mph limit the same as cars. use a 750kg trailer & you are limited to 50mph.

Having owned a variety over the years I would highly recommend Brenderup - they have bigger wheels than most with a long A frame which makes for a very stable tow.
You have made some interesting points.

Here are the Kent County Councils rules regarding trailers and domestic recycling centres.

image.jpeg
The only condition which may prove to be an issue is the length. I will have to seek clarification on whether the 2.05 metres maximum length includes the draw bar. If it does then its back to the drawing board as none of this range of trailer comes in at less than 2.05 metres. The 750 kgs version has a capacity of just under the 1 cubic metre mentioned.

Being retired I am rarely in a hurry to get anywhere these days so keeping to the 60mph limit shouldn't be that much of an issue.

We are most unlikely to ever take a trailer to France so no problem there either.

Hi Boris

I’ve got the trailer thing bad . Got the Anssems Vt2 1200 kg braked about 21/2 yrs ago . Use it for mainly moving sails and boat maintenance kit and big furniture . It’s usually full to brim . You know it’s on the back but tows very well . We took it to southern Brittany last May on boat duty. We use it as a mobile scaffold for boat maintenance as well .

As you say they’ve got very picky at the tip and although I took the big trailer to the tip several times I was expecting to be challenged so I got a GT 750-201 HT as well about 18 months ago and use It regularly . In fact I used it for the tip today but I also plan to use it for camping . It tows really well but isn’t as easy to reverse as the Vt2 because you can’t see it . So I had some extra lights fitted which stick out about 6 in . I did look at the smaller 500 trailer but am really glad I went for the 750 kg . It has a longer towing arm and will tow better . It’s usually full on the tip trips . The 500 will be almost impossible to reverse because it’s so short and you can’t see it . 750 and 500 are very easy to unhitch and manoeuvre single handed but I did put some prop stands on my 750kg to stop it tipping up when unhitched and loaded . Recommend. View attachment 27996View attachment 27997 View attachment 28001View attachment 28002 View attachment 28003
Hello Trebor,
Very useful info regarding the GT750 verses the GT500. I'm starting to think the bigger 750 kgs trailer is the one to have but only if the Kent County Council allow it to enter their tips and I can house it at home. It does look right on the back of your Cali. However its a worrying prospect. All that space when we go camping is not necessarily a good thing.

How did you get that yacht up on top of your trailer?

Hello Trebor,
Very useful info regarding the GT750 verses the GT500. I'm starting to think the bigger 750 kgs trailer is the one to have but only if the Kent County Council allow it to enter their tips and I can house it at home. It does look right on the back of your Cali. However its a worrying prospect. All that space when we go camping is not necessarily a good thing.

How did you get that yacht up on top of your trailer?

Hi Boris , My local tip says 6 ft x 3 but interestingly no height restriction . The 750kg is bigger but haven’t been challenged yet . It looks small . I think they’re more interested in plasterboard and fridges . The 750kg is just a really useful trailer . The boat draws 7 ft 8 in so we used to use scaffolding.

Hello Campers,

View attachment 27986

Many thanks,
Paul.

Hi Borris,

My experience with these small trailers and work trailers on a T4. Main issue is 1) You need to see it, to back it up, and, 2) These trailers with short wheel base to hitch lengths are particularly twitchy, darting off and jackknifing to left or right. Bigger trailers and 4 wheel trailer are much easier to reverse.

Motorway restriction on lane use is only the outside lane if 3 or more lanes present.

So pretty much every motorway then.
FYI the penalty code for 3 points is MW10. ;)

Back