Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does anyone tow a trailer?

Good points. Thanks.

At the moment, I am thinking of the small 500kgs version because I have to garage it at home and also because I don't want to encourage the taking of too much. If we have a large empty trailer on the back then I just know what will happen, we'll end up with every thing including the kitchen sink and thats not the idea. The 750kgs version is very tempting but as I already have a large Ifor Williams general purpose trailer I don't think we'll really need it. I will certainly give it some thought though.
Some trailers are the same size box for 500 and 750, just the wheels and axle are uprated. Such as Ifor Williams P6 as an example.
Check the tailgate opening as on my trailer the tailgate only just clears the ladder rack/caged sides. Might be more of an issue with a bike rack.
The Assems drawbar looks short in photo.

Ond additional con....

Depending on the length of the drawbar on the trailer, a door-mounted bike rack may catch on the trailer.

And a towbar-mounted bike rack may not be possible at all.

I know it's not a California in the picture, but it's my trailer and it demonstrates that despite the long list of cons, the short list of pros outweighs the cons. Seven people, seven bicycles and a lot of stuff to France with a single vehicle. Even with extra tunnel fares, the cheaper fuel and tolls still meant a cheaper journey.

Shockingly, this was 11 years ago! Still got the trailer (although it's now black). Still got the Discovery.

P1000564.JPG

Hello Campers,

Whilst there is only usually the two of us in our Cali, we do from time to time stop in one location for a break away. When we do, we will usually take our Vango Galli drive away awning and other handy camping accoutrements. All this stuff takes up valuable interior space that can restrict the use of the van until on site.
We also anticipate taking our grandchildren away in the van next year and will therefore need the drive away awning etc as well as the space to seat the little scoundrels in the van.

On a different note, we are about to attempt a de-clutter of our house before I commence the next round of DIY and decorating. Deep joy! A small trailer would help with trips to the dump, charity shops etc as well as for other general purpose jobs. I am not looking forward to this process as Mrs B and I have never shared the same thoughts about de-cluttering so there could be trouble ahead! :Nailbiting I already own a perfectly good large trailer but Kent County Council will no longer allow it into their domestic recycling centres. In fact they have introduced so many restrictions on what can be dumped, by whom and in what vehicle that it seems as if they are actively encouraging people to fly tip in our more remote beautiful country lanes, something which has been on the increase in recent years.

So I am thinking of buying one of these:
View attachment 27986
It's an Assems GT500-151-HT un-braked trailer with a lockable lid which will keep the contents secure and water proof. The top has structural strength so things can be loaded on top and strapped down if necessary although thats not my plan. However the flat top does look as if it will be a usefull surface when camping etc. There is also a version with built in bike racks on the lid thereby making the rear bike rack redundant when towing. These trailers come in various sizes but for my purposes its only the above mentioned smallest version that I am prepared to entertain. Anyone got one?

However, my main questions is: Do you tow a trailer behind your Cali?

If you do then what are your experiences of towing a small camping trailer and by this what I am really try to get at is was it useful? What were the ups and downs of having one?

Many thanks,
Paul.

I used to have a GT-500-181 for camping. Fantastic piece of kit but sold it when I bought the Cali. I used to tow it behind an XC60 and it never moved, so solid, especially when laden. We cruised at 70-80mph on autoroutes without an issue. We had 4 bike racks on the lid, using the Thule system, and it swallowed all of our camping kit. Before buying I did a lot of research and this was by far the best option for us and the build quality exceeds anything else out there.

Three years later I sold it on eBay for 100 quid less than I paid for it new. So, like a Cali, it is a no-brainer residual wise. I cannot recommend the Assems enough.

One final thought, whilst on site it offers excellent secure storage as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been looking for a trailer for a while now, a Beach with 4 kids is very tight!
I did see around 18 months ago a trailer which had a sink, burner and a leisure battery installed. It was on the T5 forum for sale but was out of the country when advertised for sale. Im sure the seller had a red Cali, anyone on here? I have searched but cannot find the supplier or anything like it.

Hi @Borris saw this trailer, and a TG500, on a recent trip to the Sussex coast, thought you might like it.

Being towed by a Marco Polo that had rusty sills, doors and wheel arches (tut tut), so cropped it out!

P8061011.JPG P8061012.JPG

36994322_10156297439902040_7021457563937931264_n.jpg

36806977_10156302891957040_5400756503810408448_n.jpg

Hi @Borris saw this trailer, and a TG500, on a recent trip to the Sussex coast, thought you might like it.

Being towed by a Marco Polo that had rusty sills, doors and wheel arches (tut tut), so cropped it out!

View attachment 36536 View attachment 36537
Hi Pete,
That Tiger looks nice. I've never understood why they are so expensive though. Lose one wheel and the price plummets to much more affordable levels.
That trailer looks surperb and made for the job.
Unfortunately, just today after two and a half years of ownership, I managed to inflict the first wounds on our Cali. Whilst distracted by arguing grandchildren I managed to jackknife our trailer into the rear of the van. I was reversing on a campsite and momentarily forgot that the trailer was there. It wasn't the kids fault but they certainly didn't help. :headbang
So now I have three small dents in the off side rear panel and a marked plastic quarter panel to get sorted out. Whilst I was furious when it happened I only have myself to blame.

Last edited:
We have a tipi and a lot of camping gear for those weekends where we meet up with friends at the coast. You need wet weather gear, dry weather gear, buoyancy aids, kites, tipi, woodburner stove if early or late in the season. We have an erde 148 which we used a lot behind our (beloved) ‘71 Westfalia camper but I’ve only used it behind the california for tip runs. It’s effortless to tow but with the extra capacity and space of the Cali I’m wondering do we need it. Haven’t used it this year for camping and been all over the place with gear listed above in just the van with 4 of us.

Hi Pete,
That Tiger looks nice. I've never understood why they are so expensive though. Loose one wheel and the price plumets to much more affordable levels.
Unfortunately, just today after two and a half years of ownership, I managed to inflict the first wounds on our Cali. Whilst distracted by arguing grandchildren I managed to jackknife our trailer into the rear of the van. I was reversing on a campsite and momentarily forgot that the trailer was there. It wasn't the kids fault but they certainly didn't help. :headbang
So now I have three small dents in the off side rear panel and a marked plastic quarter panel to get sorted out. Whilst I was furious when it happened I only have myself to blame.

Oh dear Boris . Easily done . Which trailer did you get in the end ? I’ve just sold my 750 Anssems and got a bigger GTB 1200 braked 2500 Ht for our 2 month Norway trip . The 750 was great but just not big enough for the trip so sold on Gumtree in 1 day for what it cost me as prices have gone up ! Her Ladyship said 3 trailers and a Wayfarer trailer was too much for any man ! I was thinking of fitting a marker/s on the back of the 750 so I could see it . The 1200 is wider so I can just about. see the mudguards .

Last edited:
That Tiger looks nice. I've never understood why they are so expensive though. Loose one wheel and the price plumets to much more affordable levels.
Glad you liked it, the trailer I mean...

Sorry to hear about the mishap, will you put it down to experience and just accept a few war wounds, or is a repair necessary? Hope it's not too much hassle to resolve.

Her Ladyship said 3 trailers and a Wayfarer trailer was too much for any man !
Is owning multiple trailers on the same scale as owning multiple sheds or multiple bicycles?

Glad you liked it, the trailer I mean...

Sorry to hear about the mishap, will you put it down to experience and just accept a few war wounds, or is a repair necessary? Hope it's not too much hassle to resolve.

Is owning multiple trailers on the same scale as owning multiple sheds or multiple bicycles?
Bluebell bus will be repaired soon although not immediately. It's not major just three tiny dents and a divot in the plastic rear quarter panel but they shouldn't be there. However, first I must give the HMRC all my spare cash.

Today I've been trying to think of some way of fitting some form of warning to remind you that a trailer is attached. My eight year old grandson then pointed out the the Park Pilot clearly shows the trailer when reversing. Doh!

I think the answer is to concentrate in future and not be distracted by screaming kids in the back!

"I think the answer is to concentrate in future and not be distracted by screaming kids in the back!"
Best of luck with that.

"I think the answer is to concentrate in future and not be distracted by screaming kids in the back!"
Best of luck with that.
Yes quite!

The trouble is, when they kick off, which is usually on every school run and at regular intervals on all other outings, I usually find it difficult to concentrate and am inclined to become more than a little tetchy. I've tried splitting the little beggars up by putting them out of arms reach of each other on different seats in our seven seater but they will then argue over who is sitting on which seat. Also we don't often have the two swivel seats fitted so they will normally sit accross the rear three seat bench. Our 8 year old grandson sits in the middle with his two younger sisters 6 and 4 in high backed boosters on either side. This appears to be the optimum seating layout to produce the maximum conflict. To make things worse, VW have thoughtfully provided the control panel for the three zone Climate Control within easy reach of the O/S seat occupant thereby enabling her to inflict the cook or freeze torture on the others. Which ever sister manages to secure this command seat knows full well that she is in a position of absolute power over her siblings. I can't begin to tell you the hassle that this gadget has caused. They have also worked out that Grandpops can do bugger all from the front seat to stop them.

If only VW would option a sound proof glass partition behind the front seats and a front master lock for the rear Climate Control!

Must go, they've just started again.

Last edited:
Ooops, pilot error.

Last edited:
Oh dear Boris . Easily done . Which trailer did you get in the end ? I’ve just sold my 750 Anssems and got a bigger GTB 1200 braked 2500 Ht for our 2 month Norway trip . The 750 was great but just not big enough for the trip so sold on Gumtree in 1 day for what it cost me as prices have gone up ! Her Ladyship said 3 trailers and a Wayfarer trailer was too much for any man ! I was thinking of fitting a marker/s on the back of the 750 so I could see it . The 1200 is wider so I can just about. see the mudguards .
A man can never have enough trailers!

I have a covered Brian James Race Shuttle, an Ifor Williams 8' x 4' with mesh sides and now an Assems 750GT with the hinged hard top. Oh dear, this is all starting to sound a bit trailer anoraky! :Nailbiting

They all have different uses and are all brilliant at their specific roles.

As you know, towing small trailers are always potentially tricky. You can't see them in the mirrors therefore they are very difficult to reverse. By the time they come into view you've probably over cooked it. To make things worse the Assems 750 GT is such a lovely little trailer that you don't know it's there when on the move. Best to remove the trailer and reverse the van separately, that is if you remember it's there!!! Give me a larger trailer any day!

A cane the width of the van with a reflective marker on the ends would help if strapped accross the rear end of the trailer.

Last edited:
A man can never have enough trailers!

I have a covered Brian James Race Shuttle, an Ifor Williams 8' x 4' with mesh sides and now an Assems 750GT with the hinged hard top. Oh dear, this is all starting to sound a bit trailer anoraky! :Nailbiting

They all have different uses and are all brilliant at their specific roles.

As you know, towing small trailers are always potentially tricky. You can't see them in the mirrors therefore they are very difficult to reverse. By the time they come into view you've probably over cooked it. To make things worse the Assems 750 GT is such a lovely little trailer that you don't know it's there when on the move. Best to remove the trailer and reverse the van separately, that is if you remember it's there!!! Give me a larger trailer any day!

A cane the width of the van with a reflective marker on the ends would help if strapped accross the rear end of the trailer.

Respect Borris ! Good idea about the cane . Yes bigger the better reversing .

Hello Campers,

Whilst there is only usually the two of us in our Cali, we do from time to time stop in one location for a break away. When we do, we will usually take our Vango Galli drive away awning and other handy camping accoutrements. All this stuff takes up valuable interior space that can restrict the use of the van until on site.
We also anticipate taking our grandchildren away in the van next year and will therefore need the drive away awning etc as well as the space to seat the little scoundrels in the van.

On a different note, we are about to attempt a de-clutter of our house before I commence the next round of DIY and decorating. Deep joy! A small trailer would help with trips to the dump, charity shops etc as well as for other general purpose jobs. I am not looking forward to this process as Mrs B and I have never shared the same thoughts about de-cluttering so there could be trouble ahead! :Nailbiting I already own a perfectly good large trailer but Kent County Council will no longer allow it into their domestic recycling centres. In fact they have introduced so many restrictions on what can be dumped, by whom and in what vehicle that it seems as if they are actively encouraging people to fly tip in our more remote beautiful country lanes, something which has been on the increase in recent years.

View attachment 27986
It's an Assems GT500-151-HT un-braked trailer with a lockable lid which will keep the contents secure and water proof. The top has structural strength so things can be loaded on top and strapped down if necessary although thats not my plan. However the flat top does look as if it will be a usefull surface when camping etc. There is also a version with built in bike racks on the lid thereby making the rear bike rack redundant when towing. These trailers come in various sizes but for my purposes its only the above mentioned smallest version that I am prepared to entertain. Anyone got one?

If you do then what are your experiences of towing a small camping trailer and by this what I am really try to get at is was it useful? What were the ups and downs of having one?

Many thanks,
Paul.
Hello Campers,

View attachment 27986

Many thanks,
Paul.

Instead of a trailer have you considered one of the big boxes that can be attached to the cycle carrier or towbar?

download.jpg

Thinking about getting an Ansemms trailer. We have a Cali ocean T6.

Likely will use mostly in France. Does anyone know whether having a GT500 HT v GT750 HT would have an impact on the legal towing speed on motorways?

ideally want to put bike racks on the top of the trailer - anyone done this? How secure is the Thule system?

initially really against towing anything but with car seats, bikes, clothes, nappies and sterilisers etc etc means really not enough space for longer than a long weekend.

open to other suggestions in terms of storage. Have looked at bike rack and brandrup flex bag but then can only get 2 bikes on with it? Don’t really like the tow bar boxes (as the wife would say “not aesthetically pleasing”). I know the trailer isn’t aesthetically pleasing either but would consider spraying to match van or wrapping to match.

Appreciate any advice

I found this a few years ago when we considered taking our trailer.
I think the French also have to have the trailer registered and insured separatley but from what I gathered this doesn't apply to foreigners but the speed law still does although you wouldn't think it watching some French cars with trailers passing you at 80mph on the motorways.
Probably check this out now on the web as it may have change althouh I doubt the speed limits have.

"Important advice - Please read below about NEW LAWS in France for Caravans and Trailers

All vehicles driving in France that are towing a caravan or trailer, where the vehicle has a GTM over 3.5 tonnes (*see below) MUST display 80 and 90 'speed limit' stickers.

This is because French Law stipulates that they are required to drive at the lower speed limits of:

• 80 km/h on single carriageways
  • 90 km/h on dual carriageways/motorways
The 80 sticker must be applied to the back of the caravan or trailer in the bottom Left Hand corner, with the 90 sticker either placed above or to it's right. To use: simply wipe area dry and clean, then flexsticker and peel paper from 'crack lines' on back.

*GTM (Gross Train Mass) is the maximum permitted 'fully loaded' weight of your wehicle ADDED TO the maximum permitted caravan/trailer towing weight for your vehicle.

This information can normally be found in your vehicle handbook. As a guide, most family sized cars (e.g. Ford Mondeo) will have a GTM in EXCESS of 3.5 tonnes.

NOTE: This law is based on the 'theoretical' total GTM and, even if you are towing a smaller trailer with a lightly loaded car, stickers MUST still be applied.

Fines of 80-100 Euros can be incurred if you fail to follow this advice before driving to France!."

Back