Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does anyone transport their awning secured to the t6 bike rack?

RFH

RFH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi, considering purchasing an awning but a little hesitant as space inside the Cali is so valuable. So the question is; does anyone transport their drive away awning secured to the T6 bike rack? or is this not a good idea?
Thanks, Rod.

• Clever Stuff
Reactions: Sad
Great question Rod!
I have a T6 bike rack and an awning!!!
So would like to hear the answers.
If the weight limit is OK I can't see a problem...I'll have a quick look.

• Thanks
Reactions: RFH
OK that didn't take long...
You can load 60kg's onto the T6 rack :thumb
Remember they will weigh more when wet but in my case the Galli II Compact is a measly 22kg.

• Thanks
We carry our folding bikes and inflatable awning in the cabin en route, but put them into a small pop up quechua hiking shelter on sites overnight, with the bikes locked to one of the wheels of the van or a convenient tree. We found our vw bike rack and bikes on the tailgate hampered access to the boot too much but there is of course no room for cabin passengers with our setup, so if you have kids leave them at home...!

Hi, considering purchasing an awning but a little hesitant as space inside the Cali is so valuable. So the question is; does anyone transport their drive away awning secured to the T6 bike rack? or is this not a good idea?
Thanks, Rod.

Yes we’ve done this once and would do again when it’s wet. Things never seem to pack up as small once they are out of the ordinal packaging/bag ...

• Thanks
Thanks, Rod.

I recently wondered about this too. We use an Oztent so tried it on the rack to see if it would save having the roof bars on. It stuck out each side, but not as much as the mirrors. Weight wise it should be okay, so will give it a go next time I take it along.

• Thanks
I did some measuring and found that a Thule Easybag would fit nicely on a VW bike rack and that our Outdoor Revolution awning would fit nicely in it. Definitely part of our plans for the future to reclaim all of that boot space.

• Thanks
We've been on the road for nearly 300 days with two children and a dog. Everything fits inside the van except bikes, including inflatable awning, wind out awning side panels, three cookers (triple gas burners, Cadac BBQ and electric plate).

To make the boot sufficiently large we pull the bench seat forward to the bed position, and there it stays.

I did a photo shoot of the packing - I'll edit this post to include the link when I find it.

Packing my Beach

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...club.com/index.php?posts/256800/&share_type=t

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Yeah that’s why we bought the bike rack... the Glawning is a bit heavy (it’s within limits but it makes it terrifying opening the boot) but the Vango would fit fine. We use a waterproof bag to put the stuff in and then secure that to the bike rack

• Thanks
Hi all, Many thanks for replying to my question, this was very much appreciated.
Reassuring to know that it can be done if necessary. Now pondering awning purchase and Vango Gali Compact is a contender.
Cheers, Rod.