Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carbon bike frame clips - original T6 bike rack

Kryspinski

Kryspinski

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Has anyone found some adaptors or specific “clips” to be used with carbon frame bikes on the original t6 rack?
Most bike racks have specific clamps/clips for carbon frames, which prevent damaging the carbon. I haven’t found these for the original bike rack on my Cali. I transport my aluminium bike there and the clamps seem to be quite harsh on the frames, so am a bit afraid of putting my new carbon bike on there…

I wrap some inner tube, then foam pipe lagging around the clamp area (top tube) on my carbon frame and then apply clamp to that.

You can also potentially clamp to the seat post if the angles work - easier on the outer rack rails.

Thnx guys - will try fixing to the seatpost

Same here, clamp seat post, it's a fiddle but you can slide the arms along where they attach to the rack to make it easier.

@Benham I always clamp the top tube with some foam pipe in between on my carbon bikes. What risks have I've been exposing myself to all this time? :)

Maybe have a similar question - is the problem with most clamps that the might create pressure onto carbon in a way that damages carbon and doesn’t matter for alloy?

here you are; specific clips for carbon frames for the Thule bikerack
TVU 984 101

I use this on my carbon MTB. It doesn't just pad, it spreads the load too (along the 'spines'). Not sure about the 'official' rack but our Thule has a torque limiter on the clamp as well, so between a beefy frame, the load spreader and the torque limiter, I'm happy.

@Benham I always clamp the top tube with some foam pipe in between on my carbon bikes. What risks have I've been exposing myself to all this time? :)
The top tube of your bike is strong in the direction of seat post to stem and not laterally. When you clamp on the top tube with your bike rack you are doing so in the knowledge that this is a weak point, and not designed to be laterally strong. My local bike shop learned the hard way when they clamped my in a bike stand to do some work. See the attached photo. You can see the crack inbetween the two pieces of masking tape.

IMG_4612.jpeg

I make the bed up downstairs in the van and tuck my bike up under a duvet with a cuppa and a hot water bottle :)