Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does installing an internal pop top screen affect warranty?

B

Beachfamily22

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hello,
Does anyone know if fitting the Brandrup Isofix pop top screen would invalidate the VW warranty? I've seen a few reports of the pop top material coming away from the roof on 6.1s. I'm concerned if this happened after we fitted the Isofix, VW might not cover a repair under warranty. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

If it did come away, which would be rare, no matter what you read here, and you took the screen off before it went to a dealer, they would never know. Or an I missing something?

If it did come away, which would be rare, no matter what you read here, and you took the screen off before it went to a dealer, they would never know. Or an I missing something?
Unless you were to remove the Velcro fixings stuck to the van around the mattress it would be fairly obvious that there had been an Isotop fitted.

If the canvas does come out of the roof fixing, typically at the corners, I’ve found that it is quite easily fixed by using a bicycle tyre lever. I didn’t use adhesive to keep it in place, but I know others have. Ours has been fixed around 2 months now, with lots of roof operations, and no issues (touch wood). I’d say if you feel the need for the IsoTop, go for it.

Unless you were to remove the Velcro fixings stuck to the van around the mattress it would be fairly obvious that there had been an Isotop fitted.
Ah. We looking at an external one for winter but hadn’t twigged this was an internal one.

Further to the OP question - the only reason a brand could refuse to honour warranty is if they could prove that the fitting of the aftermarket element affected the original item.

If not they cannot refuse the repair.

Ah. We looking at an external one for winter but hadn’t twigged this was an internal one.

Further to the OP question - the only reason a brand could refuse to honour warranty is if they could prove that the fitting of the aftermarket element affected the original item.

If not they cannot refuse the repair.
Agree, but I would imagine VW would use any opportunity to try to get out of a warranty claim (assuming the dealer tells them).

Agree, but I would imagine VW would use any opportunity to try to get out of a warranty claim (assuming the dealer tells them).
Maybe but having worked in an OEM auto warranty department for 5 years and ran the parts returns and claim handling it wasn’t such a big concern and due to block exemption you have to be careful anyway.

Believe Brandrup accessories are approved by VW, so you shouldn’t have any issues, but no harm in dropping Brandrup an email. (VW will never give you a straight answer)

If VW rejected a claim due to a Brandrup accessory being fitted, it would have a huge impact on Brandrup given the amount of Cali specific products that they sell.

Believe Brandrup accessories are approved by VW, so you shouldn’t have any issues, but no harm in dropping Brandrup an email. (VW will never give you a straight answer)

If VW rejected a claim due to a Brandrup accessory being fitted, it would have a huge impact on Brandrup given the amount of Cali specific products that they sell.
That would be my hope!