Dog fencing experience?

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I have ordered my Cali primarily for attending dog agility competitions. I am a newby to both Cali's and dog agility. I have been to a local agility comp and a national dog show where people have been camping and most seem to have dog fencing set up around or adjacent to caravan / camper.

I have been looking at the Jormax products (link below). Does anyone have any experience to share on these and / or have other recommended products.

Thanks

http://www.jormaxwindbreaks.co.uk/index.html

Alison - I should make sure they use the proper head gear :thumb

Hohoho - maybe I need to re-define the type of fencing... :headbang

Hi Alison,

We have a dog enclosure made by Windbreak Leisure and would highly recommend them. Ours is very big (although we don't always use the whole enclosure, depending on the site/pitch etc.) as it goes on the side of my parents' twin axle tourer. It has had a lot of use over the last five+ years and has never once let us down, withstanding all manner of gales, storms and downpours and even transforming into a fully enclosed safe area within the back garden when we had a litter two years ago, when it remained set up for 9 weeks. Most importantly, our four girls have never escaped (four Border Collies) and no canine 'visitors' have managed to get in either - many of the windbreaks/enclosures are susceptible to escapees/visitors as they are not secure along the bottom, but Windbreak Leisure make their's with poles going along the bottom too. The man who makes them has Rotties so they are made to withstand whatever runs at them! I haven't used it with the Cali as I only take two of my girls with me and I don't really need it, but I would definitely want it up if I were staying at a dog event as excitement levels and dog numbers are so high!

Here is the webpage:

http://www.windbreakleisure.co.uk/wp/

They look much smarter than normal windbreaks, don't flap around in the wind and don't have long legs sticking out to trip people up (the legs are short and pegged down on the inside, but they don't stick out far enough from the sides to cause a problem for us or the dogs). The only downsides are the initial cost and the time it takes to put them up, but it does get quicker with practice.

This is what the legs are like on the inside...
P1010046.JPG

Maud :)

Maud,
Thanks, that's great feedback. I was thinking of the same principle - several bits so can make a smaller / larger dog pen / windbreak depending on location and whether or not I have the awning up. Also planning on breeding so was thinking it could be used in the garden as a puppy pen. Only 2 Tollers at the moment but expect to be 3 by this time next year. Can't wait for the van to arrive and get out and meet everyone.
Alison

Alison - I should make sure they use the proper head gear :thumb
Yes I was intrigued by the title, are they called D'Artagnan, Athos & Porthos? :D

Edit: I see there are four, can't remember the name of the other Musketeer!

So I don't know what Maud's 4 collies are called. My Tollers are Wallace (recently passed away) and Gromit (Nick Park / Aardman) and Ellie (Ice Age). Already have a name for a pup bitch from Ellie (assuming successful end of the year) - guesses welcome, but pretty obvious if you follow the theme...
In the meantime, I've ordered the Jormax fencing in several pieces and will give an update later on how it works and general feedback.
Alison

Hi Alison,

I have also bought my Cali for Dog Agility shows... living in a tent in the middle of an exposed field wore thin after a couple of years!
Another option (which is what I use) is cornish windbreaks with tension bars. They are not as robust as DandT, windbreak leisure etc but cheaper, and I can put up the whole dog pen in around 10mins on my own. I have also used them in some pretty epic winds and with the tension bars they have stayed up no problem. Added bonus is they store much smaller than some of the more well known names. A lot of agility folk use them.

Interesting, that my current Collie stays in her garden even though she could easily escape if she wanted to. My previous 4 however, who all did agility for fun, used to scale a 9 foot fence around their enclosure just for fun.

We tried a doggie fence but my Schnauzer learned how to Commando crawl under the bus! So it's a long line to his harness for us.

Back