Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dometic cfx 35/40/50

Gasgas

Gasgas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
we are thinking about purchasing an auxiliary fridge for our Ocean mainly for longer trips abroad and was wondering if anybody had any experience and views on the Dometic cfx range ?

Hi I have a cfx 40 for SE. Absolutely brilliant for all the extras we take for a family of 4. Very quite and efficient.

Did you manage to find a supplier where you can view the different cfx sizes before you purchased and if so where was it ? as I am struggling to find anybody who has them on show

I should imagine that the size of the unit would be significant factor when choosing. We have CFX 35 which is fine in our Beach but will take up a fair chunk of the more limited available space in your Ocean. From memory the CFX 40 differs in size only in that it is taller. I have no knowledge of the CFX 50 which must be a monster. Where do you intend to put it? For sizes, Google the model and the sizes are listed.

The CFX range can be summed up in one word, brilliant.

However, I should also explain that they are quiet, well made, versatile, portable, robust and can run off different voltages. The only minor complaint That I have concerns the 12 volt lead. When you plug it into the fridge it's very difficult to get it to disconnect when you've finnished with it. A quick spray with silicon helps but it is still really tight.

Our CFX 28 is sufficiently large for four for four days.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
I'm amazed you manage for four days with four people but maybe my fridge tetris skills are not upto scratch :D.

What kind of things do you carry in there?

I have the CF40 (prior to the X) and its great but rather large. That said it can carry a lot, good for keeping drinks cold as well as your food.

I'm amazed you manage for four days with four people but maybe my fridge tetris skills are not upto scratch :D.

What kind of things do you carry in there?

I have the CF40 (prior to the X) and its great but rather large. That said it can carry a lot, good for keeping drinks cold as well as your food.
We bought long life milk and only stored open milk in the fridge. Water only went in the fridge when there was sufficient space, maybe day 3 or 4. Large items like pizzas were not refrigerated and cooked and eaten on day of purchase, which was usually arrival day so was fine. We generally avoided fizzy drinks, so white wine and milk were often the only liquids refrigerated.

Meat in bulky packaging could be re bagged. Example evening meals, evening 1 pizza and salads; evening 2 sausages with onion fried potatoes and baked beans; evening 3 bolognese sauce and pasta or Thai chicken curry and broccoli with rice; evening 4 pork chops, green beans and crushed potatoes; if staying five nights we might eat out on the last night, if staying longer we might drive away from the awning, or go shopping by bike. Pudding would be fruit, often unrefigerated, or yoghurt. Chilled meats and cheeses for lunches. Some salad items like cucumbers or ripened tomatoes would be refrigerated.

I guess the key is to plan meals, and pack the fridge in reverse order for meals. Frequent use items like butter go in the smaller section of the fridge.

Thanks Boris, very much for the review, we have a quecha msh tent that we pitch for long stays ,so once in situ space is not really a problem as it will be in the tent.The 50l is 725x455x471 - 40l 692x398x461- 35l 692x398x411,The 35 will just fit under the shelf in boot which is handy but having said that i can always take the shelf out and leave it at home

the difference in size between them is minimal really and we are leaning towards the 50l as it is not much more expensive than the 40l and only a tad larger ,its just the transporting of it that is concerning me ..and whilst you can use a tape measure to get a feeling for its size it would be great to just go and view them all to make the decision :( or there again should I just go for the 35l ..O dear

The 50l is 725x455x471 - 40l 692x398x461- 35l 692x398x411

Comparing external dimensions is not always helpful. Comparing displacement volume can be more useful.

CFX 50 (46 litre storage) displaces 155 litres
CFX 40 (38 litre storage) displaces 127 litres; 83% internal volume and 82% displacement of CFX 50
CFX 35 (32 litre storage) displaces 113 litres; 70% internal volume and 73% displacement of CFX 50
CFX 28 (26 litre storage) displaces 90 litres; 57% internal volume and 58% displacement of CFX 50

Also worth considering the amps per hour, the 28litre is quite a lot more efficient and will give you a longer stay than the 50 litre for example.

Often the best way with things like this is to get the spec sheet with exact internal dimensions (and odd internal shapes) and then get down the supermarket for a load of empty cardboard boxes and mock up the exact internal shape/size of the ones you are interested in with a knife and some parcel tape.

This is what I did when buying one for the Beach a few years ago.

Does not take long and does not need to be perfect but you can play around then with wine bottles, plastic storage boxes etc and you soon find out what works best - often the few extra cubic litres are not worth it...

Scroll down to product drawings/downloads:

https://www.dometic.com/en/se/produ...wered-boxes/dometic-coolfreeze-cfx-28-_-64075

Example pic:

69_38_dometic_cfx28_9600000468_46938_10.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many litres the ocean fridge holds thanks in advance.

Back