Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Down sizing

P

PSmudger

Vehicle
Looking to buy
How many members have downsized from a larger motorhome and how has the transition been. This is something we are looking at doing just a little nervous.

We did. We found we had to be more organised and toss stuff out that we hardly ever used. Once we got that sorted we found we only miss having a loo room, but there are workarounds for that.

There are a lot of positives having a car like driving experience and fitting in a normal parking space.

We occasionally look enviously at the bigger vans when on site, but for 95% of the time the Cali is a better bet. Good luck in your decision! :thumb

My parents did this. They started off with a couple of van based camper conversions with a bed over the cab and then upsized to a Hymer coach like camper because they wanted more room. It was too big and could only be used for camping really. They then sold that and bought a Cali. They did miss the space and the bathroom initially but with the Cali, it is more practicable. They sold a second car and use the Cali as everyday transport. It drives a lot better and is quicker and more economical. You aren't restricted to staying on site once parked (they didn't tow a small car behind them) so you can nip to the shops or go sight seeing.

There are pro's and con's to both vehicles and it depends what suits you best. My parents are glad they made the change and wouldn't go back to a "great white" now.

How many members have downsized from a larger motorhome and how has the transition been. This is something we are looking at doing just a little nervous.
Interestingly we wonder about the opposite... The Cali has proved great as a dayvan and car for 5 comfortably, but too small to camp & way too much hassle as a drive-away. We've just bought a huge tent! Quite ridiculous after buying a near on £60K campervan.

Ive been using smaller campers for quite a few years now and it takes time to get into the swing of things in a small space. You need to learn what we call the campervan shuffle, as space is limited there will always be some things that need to move around the van as you go about your day.

If you like to take a lot of things you will need to reassess the key items to take or it may not be fun. If you pack carefully and are organised its a genuine pleasure and far easier to get access to towns and sights.

My parents did this. They started off with a couple of van based camper conversions with a bed over the cab and then upsized to a Hymer coach like camper because they wanted more room. It was too big and could only be used for camping really. They then sold that and bought a Cali. They did miss the space and the bathroom initially but with the Cali, it is more practicable. They sold a second car and use the Cali as everyday transport. It drives a lot better and is quicker and more economical. You aren't restricted to staying on site once parked (they didn't tow a small car behind them) so you can nip to the shops or go sight seeing.

There are pro's and con's to both vehicles and it depends what suits you best. My parents are glad they made the change and wouldn't go back to a "great white" now.
The only serious omission the California has from the big white is the lack of a shower/wc room. The toilet is essentially the same in both vehicles, the cube most people use in the Cali only has a 10 Litre capacity reservoir, most motor-homes 19 Litre, so it needs to be changed more often but is obviously much easier to carry.
When we had a motor-home the shower was used very rarely, it just made the room/van so wet we normally used the site facilities.
Obviously if more than two people are using the vehicle it becomes a more nuanced argument but for us now our children have long since left home the Cali Ocean is ideal.

We are moving from a caravan after 30 + years to the cali and its taken me 2 years to weigh up the pro,s and cons.

Where I got to having spoken to many folk that have been there and done that is a big white just doesnt work dont do it - the bigger it is the worse the problem, not my words . I just come back to the caravan as being the better solution. The idea that you drive a big white and tow a car is lost on me Im afraid, all the downsides.
Also being stuck in one spot with only my bikes doesnt work for me.

The cali however is something I actually wish to drive (or I expect it will be) plus we are down to 2 people at any one time and travel light.
The toilet is the biggest downside as others have said but I reckon I can live with the 335 solution.

If im going to one spot in the UK for 2 weeks then I will likely take the old caravan as well as it owes very little but I intend to to keep moving in the cali mixed with some Hotels en route and a very different useage than I had with the the family in tow.

So its a cali or give up for me.

Reactions: DG1
its a genuine pleasure and far easier to get access to towns and sights.
Spot on Matt - thats where we fell down on our last trip - we set up for a long weekend, 2 adults, 3 kids (one at 4 months) and then thought, lets go out... no chance. just too much stuff to move, beds, kids seats, baby buggy, etc etc
We bought our van as a 10 year thing, so as they all grow, we will carry less, but a top box looks like it has just come to the rescue for this weeks jaunt...

The only time I miss my old motorhome is when it is raining for days on end, the Cali is not a good place to be when it's wet outside. Wet clothes, wet dog etc... Not Fun!

Oh yeah, I also miss the on board toilet especially at 3am in the morning